RDE - Benson Mayowa
SAM - Justin Durant
MIKE - Anthony Hitchens
WIL - Sean Lee
LCB - Orlando Scandrick
RCB - Brandon Carr
SS - Barry Church
FS - Byron Jones

Let's take back the Claiborne trade, Demarcus Lawrence trade, Randy Gregory draft pick, and Jaylon Smith pick, especially since none of which will begin the season as defensive starters. All moves that many were critical of at the time. With the two trades, we'll go with the players that Stephen Jones told season ticketholders the day after the draft the Cowboys would have drafted, had they stay put (Michael Brockers & Bobby Wagner instead of Claiborne, Kony Ealy & Trai Turner instead of Lawrence). I will substitute someone else for the Gregory and Jaylon Smith picks.

Should-be starting defense
LDE - Kony Ealy
1T -Michael Brockers
3T - Tyrone Crawford
RDE - Danielle Hunter (2015 2nd round pick)
SAM - Anthony Hitchens
MIKE -Bobby Wagner
WIL - Sean Lee
LCB - Orlando Scandrick
RCB - Brandon Carr
SS -Su'a Cravens (2016 2nd round pick)
FS - Byron Jones

Not spectacular but very solid. Free agent money spent on Thornton and Mayowa could have been spent to upgrade at SAM or RCB

Last edited:

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
That front 7 has to be in the bottom 5 of the entire league.

Actual starting defense
LDE - Ryan Russell
1T - Cedric Thornton
3T - Tyrone Crawford
RDE - Benson Mayowa
SAM - Justin Durant
MIKE - Anthony Hitchens
WIL - Sean Lee
LCB - Orlando Scandrick
RCB - Brandon Carr
SS - Barry Church
FS - Byron Jones

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
That front 7 has to be in the bottom 5 of the entire league.

Actual starting defense
LDE - Ryan Russell
1T - Cedric Thornton
3T - Tyrone Crawford
RDE - Benson Mayowa
SAM - Justin Durant
MIKE - Anthony Hitchens
WIL - Sean Lee
LCB - Orlando Scandrick
RCB - Brandon Carr
SS - Barry Church
FS - Byron Jones

The back 4 ain't great either.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
This is quite the sobering thread. If we aren't able to put a lot of scoring pressure on opponents, they're going to eat us alive.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks Marinelli is overrated? I know he doesn't have much to work with, but like Garrett, he's not creative at all.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks Marinelli is overrated? I know he doesn't have much to work with, but like Garrett, he's not creative at all.

No you're not the only one. Mr. 0-16 seems to be right down Garrett's alley when it comes to creativity and innovative scheming and planning.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think Marinelli is very good. Not in the top-top tier of DCs, but still very good. Miles better than Garrett, for sure. He just hasn't been given crap to work with.

I do agree I'm not a fan of his style of defense. But that's really on Jason and Jerry.

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Our current D will break records for both yards given up (both pass and run) and points given up. At this point I'm hoping we finish 4-12 because there is little hope our offense will be able to keep up.

Romo's chances of re-injuring that same collarbone are very high and we have a backup qb that apparently can't throw the ball more than 15 yards in the air.

Gonna be a long season.

Had we gotten the alternate defense I'd have a lot more hope for us this season

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Marinelli is really highly regarded league wide. There's probably a reason for it.

Top Bottom