Will we lose 1 of next 3 games

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Of which, we ain't one. We do a good job of pretending to be one.
"You are what your record says you are"- Bill Parcells

We're 8-3 overall we're 5-2 vs teams currently in the playoffs, most wins and most games in that category of all 32 teams. We also have the 2nd highest points differential (+92) in the league.

Houston on the other hand is 1-9-1, hasn't beaten (or tied) a team with a winning record all year and has the worst points differential (-86) in the league.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Losing to Buffalo in 1984 was indeed a shocker. Eff you Greg Bell.

That had to be one of (if not THE) the worst losses of Landry's career. The Bills were 0-11 entering that game and ended 2-14. Ultimately that loss (even though we also lost the last two, against two really good teams) is what snapped the playoff streak (we had been in the postseason 9 straight years) It's also the game I really started to question whether Landry was the right coach anymore.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
"You are what your record says you are"- Bill Parcells

We're 8-3 overall we're 5-2 vs teams currently in the playoffs, most wins and most games in that category of all 32 teams. We also have the 2nd highest points differential (+92) in the league.

Houston on the other hand is 1-9-1, hasn't beaten (or tied) a team with a winning record all year and has the worst points differential (-86) in the league.
Hey, Man. None of this has to do with quality of our roster compared to other teams. And no you AIN'T necessarily what your record says. 13-3 Green Bay three years in a row getting bumped off in the 1st round of the playoffs. They had it cush, getting to beat up on the Bears twice, the Lions twice, and Minnesota twice every year. They weren't a 13-3 roster at any point. And neither are we.

You think we're gonna win a playoff game? C'mon now.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey, Man. None of this has to do with quality of our roster compared to other teams. And no you AIN'T necessarily what your record says. 13-3 Green Bay three years in a row getting bumped off in the 1st round of the playoffs. They had it cush, getting to beat up on the Bears twice, the Lions twice, and Minnesota twice every year. They weren't a 13-3 roster at any point. And neither are we.

Again, if you think the talent level on Dallas and Houston is similar, there's just no sense in discussing this. Nobody would agree with that. Not one league GM would take Houston's roster over ours. And our coaching is vastly better than theirs too. Without looking and going player for player, I'd be hard pressed to find two or three of their starters that would start over our guys at the same position.

That said, what 13-3 says is you are one of the better teams in the league, It doesn't guarantee postseason success. Upsets happen all the time. Hell a shitty 9-7 Giants team that actually gave up more pts than they scored WON a SUPER BOWL. Most people agree the 1968 Colts were one of the best teams in league history, and they got upset in the Super Bowl by a Jets team that nobody thought had a chance.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know. Maybe.

They play like they did vs Minnesota, they can beat anyone. They play the way they did vs Green Bay or 1st half of NYG last week? Nope.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
That had to be one of (if not THE) the worst losses of Landry's career.
44-0 the following year probably tops it. Losing to Buffalo ultimately killed our playoff hopes in '84.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Again, if you think the talent level on Dallas and Houston is similar, there's just no sense in discussing this. Nobody would agree with that. Not one league GM would take Houston's roster over ours
That ain't the meter. The meter is, there's never a great chasm in talent, team to team, pound for pound. Not a massive huge difference.

If you're suiting up in the NFL you're a pretty damn special football player.

Houston's players get a chance to bump off the ballyhooed Cowboys. I don't put it past them. Wouldn't be surprised.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That ain't the meter. The meter is, there's never a great chasm in talent, team to team, pound for pound. Not a massive huge difference.

If you're suiting up in the NFL you're a pretty damn special football player.

Houston's players get a chance to bump off the ballyhooed Cowboys. I don't put it past them. Wouldn't be surprised.
No hope for you dude.

I agree that if you are talking about MOST of the league, there isn't a massive difference in overall talent. But the difference from the top few teams to the bottoms few teams is very noticeable.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Nobody is saying they CANT win.

But it would be considered a massive upset and people that bet on games and make sports lines for a living WOULD be very surprised.

As would I.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
No hope for you dude.

I agree that if you are talking about MOST of the league, there isn't a massive difference in overall talent. But the difference from the top few teams to the bottoms few teams is very noticeable.
I'd agree with that. The problem is, you're erroneously counting Dallas as one of the "top few."

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
44-0 the following year probably tops it. Losing to Buffalo ultimately killed our playoff hopes in '84.
At least that was to one of the best teams in league history.

The other was to a really, really awful team.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd agree with that. The problem is, you're erroneously counting Dallas as one of the "top few."
They are, based on what we've seen so far.

They've been accused in the past of only getting fat on weak schedules or feasting on poor teams. This year against the good teams they have faced they are winning. The numbers are the numbers, 5-2 right now vs teams that would be in the playoffs.

Nobody else has 5 wins against the other better teams. No one else has played 7 total games against the better teams either.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
They are, based on what we've seen so far.

They've been accused in the past of only getting fat on weak schedules or feasting on poor teams. This year against the good teams they have faced they are winning. The numbers are the numbers, 5-2 right now vs teams that would be in the playoffs.

Nobody else has 5 wins against the other better teams. No one else has played 7 total games against the better teams either.
So you'll feel really good with that wildcard exit.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So you'll feel really good with that wildcard exit.
If it happens, no.

And if they play like they di vs Tampa or Green Bay, yep they'll get bounced.

If they play like they did against Minnesota, they are not getting beat in the wild card round and almost assuredly will at least reach the conference championship.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
If it happens, no.

And if they play like they di vs Tampa or Green Bay, yep they'll get bounced.

If they play like they did against Minnesota, they are not getting beat in the wild card round and almost assuredly will at least reach the conference championship.
At least we seem to agree this so called great team ain't winning the division.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
At least we seem to agree this so called great team ain't winning the division.
They can still win the division. The Green Bay loss hurt, but Philly isn't running the table from here on out either.

If they lose to TN Sunday, we actually control our destiny for the division.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
They can still win the division. The Green Bay loss hurt, but Philly isn't running the table from here on out either.

If they lose to TN Sunday, we actually control our destiny for the division.
But, we're talking wildcard. That's ok.

But really - visualize us losing that Houston game. How you've seen us lose games we shouldn't lose over the years. Remember your disbelief when it happened over and over and over again. Really be honest with yourself, then tell me you would be shocked and surprised if Houston wins.

Top Bottom