cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
4-3_Under.JPG

Now that the draft is done, name who starts and which position do they play.

LDE
LDT
RDT
RDE

SAM
MIKE
WILL

CB
CB
SS
FS

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If we used Tyrone Crawford (or Ben Gardner) in that 4-Tech 2 Gap DE like Seattle used, I could see that working.

I also think the way the 4-Tech and 1-Tech line up in that picture would help protect Sean Lee some. I'd think Bruce Carter would be better at SAM in this kind of scenario.

Reaction score
Run Downs

LDE - Selvie
LDT - Crawford
RDT - Melton
RDE - Spencer

SAM - Carter
MIKE - Lee
WILL - Holloman

CB - Carr
CB - Scandrick
FS - Wilcox
SS - Church

Pass downs, move Spencer to LDE and Lawrence comes in at RDE.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I kind of felt we improved some after the draft but now that I'm looking at the starters on paper, I see one of the worst overall defenses in the NFL.

Reaction score
Yeah, I liked the Lawrence pick, but the only starter we have added on defense this offseason is Melton, and we lost two of our best players from last year. It appears to be a net downgrade. Still think the draft couldn't have worked out worse, though we didn't make terrible picks.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I kind of felt we improved some after the draft but now that I'm looking at the starters on paper, I see one of the worst overall defenses in the NFL.

That is kinda my opinion.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Yeah, I liked the Lawrence pick, but the only starter we have added on defense this offseason is Melton, and we lost two of our best players from last year. It appears to be a net downgrade. Still think the draft couldn't have worked out worse, though we didn't make terrible picks.

Melton has never had a season to match the season that Hatcher had last year. That is a down-grade and Melton's knee has to be a concern. The draft didn't work out where they could get a day one defensive starter unless they went with a safety. That wasn't going to happen.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think Lawrence ends up the starter at RDE by midseason. If Gardner and Dixon play like they did as juniors more then how they looked as seniors, they could start on this bad defense as well.

We need Lee to stay healthy, Carter and Claiborne to play up to their college potential, Melton to play out of his mind, and an occasional play-on-the-ball from a Safety for the defense just to be average.

If we end up 8-8 and making a coaching move, the new HC will need about 8 new starters (2 CB, 2 S, 2 LB, and 2 DL) on Defense next year. It doesn't seem like we made up any ground at all. Good news is the new HC should have plenty of cap room to make improvements.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
There is alotta players that are not playing up to their talent level on this team. Jimmy wouldn't put up with it. Garrett? I don't think he can motivate players much better than Wade.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Using the Seattle model:

4-Tech: Tyrone Crawford/Ben Gardner
1-Tech: Terrell McClain/Ken Bishop
3-Tech: Henry Melton/Ben Bass
---LEO: Jeremy Mincey/George Selvie/Demarcus Lawrence
---SLB: Bruce Carter/Kyle Wilber
---MLB: Sean Lee/Anthony Hitchens
---WLB: DeVonte Holloman/Justin Durant
-----SS: Barry Church/Ahmad Dixon
-----FS: Matt Johnson/J.J. Wilcox
-----CB: Brandon Carr/B.W. Webb/Terrance Mitchell
-----CB: Morris Claiborne/Orlando Scandrick

*Anthony Spencer starts season on PUP
*Nick Hayden, Caesar Rayford, Orie Lemon, Cameron Lawrence, Martez Wilson, Sterling Moore, Jakar Hamilton, and Jeff Heath released.
*Chris Whaley on IR.
* Davon Coleman, Will Smith, and Marvin Robinson on Practice Squad.

Nickel Defense
LDE George Selvie
LDT Tyrone Crawford
RDT Henry Melton
RDE Demarcus Lawrence
-LB Sean Lee
-LB Barry Church
-NB Orlando Scandrick
-CB Brandon Carr
-CB Morris Claiborne
-SS J.J. Wilcox
-FS Matt Johnson

Maybe we'll get lucky and Marinelli will recognize the issue and look for a Free Safety after June 1 cuts.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I honestly don't see how they could be anywhere near as bad as last yr. I don't have any expectation that we are suddenly going to be a top-10 defense or anything, but I think finishing somewhere in the teens or early 20's is certainly possible. And if they had done that last yr we would have won the division rather easily.

Our offense should be pretty good. Hopefully they will lean on the run game more and if they did, that would also help the defense some as well by minimizing the amount of time they were on the field.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think they'll be better simply because the injury problem almost can't be that bad again. But "better" doesn't mean they'll be any good. Like you guys said, Melton won't be any better than Hatcher was last year, and we don't know if Lawrence can play, especially his rookie year.

The truth is, we didn't really add or improve much of anything on defense this year. We just have to hope the young guys all get better, and we know how that goes.

Reaction score
Nickel Defense
LDE George Selvie
LDT Tyrone Crawford
RDT Henry Melton
RDE Demarcus Lawrence
-LB Sean Lee
-LB Barry Church
-CB Brandon Carr
-CB Morris Claiborne
-SS J.J. Wilcox
-FS Matt Johnson

10 players worth of nickels

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Barry Church does the work of two men.

He is a typical Dallas defender. He barely has the speed to start at the position. Speed is the key to running a good 4-3 defense IMO. Speed should be a priority in drafts and free agent signings on the defensive side of the ball.?it worked for Jimmy during the 90s and it will work today.

diehard2294

Practice Squad
Reaction score
He is a typical Dallas defender. He barely has the speed to start at the position. Speed is the key to running a good 4-3 defense IMO. Speed should be a priority in drafts and free agent signings on the defensive side of the ball.?it worked for Jimmy during the 90s and it will work today.
Couldn't agree more

Top Bottom