Fmart322

Spectator
Reaction score
Count me in that group. I wonder if we should have kicked the tires on Bo Levi Mitchell or drafted Will Grier. What might we have in Mike White? Prescott's accuracy is troubling. Thoughts?
We should have signed Ricky Ray.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, paying Dak that much money for his skill set is overpaying but we have a ton of money next year in the salary cap area. I think I heard like 80 million.
Now, Dak has everything you look for in a QB except 1 thing, and it's a big deal, accuracy. We lost the eagles game because of it. I swear I think our receivers were so frustrated that that's what made them give up.
Of course perhaps had we ran Zeke more then 13 times that would have helped but that's another story.

Yeah. That's like saying Antarctica has everything you're looking for in a vacation spot except good/warm weather.

But he also lacks vision, touch and anticipation. I keep hearing about "leadership"......I have leadership skills but that doesn't make me a good QB.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Yeah. That's like saying Antarctica has everything you're looking for in a vacation spot except good/warm weather.

But he also lacks vision, touch and anticipation. I keep hearing about "leadership"......I have leadership skills but that doesn't make me a good QB.

Not sure about the vision part, but definitely the other two. He has improved with the latter only to throw it wildly inaccurate in many cases. He's never had touch. He's been the starter for four years already, and although he may continue to improve, we're never going to see Dan Fouts or Warren Moon emerge from him. Nothing even remotely close. If Jerry gives him a long term mega deal then it's purely emotional.

kwcoolk619

Practice Squad
Reaction score
During the Seahawks vs. Eagles game, did anyone see those Russell Wilson's deep throws to DK Metcalf? I mumbled to myself, "Dak couldn't make those throws." He needs more accuracy on deep passes and to be better on the back shoulder passes.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Jesse Holly said something on the Hangin with the Boys podcast that made a lot of sense.

He thinks that Dak didn’t agree to a contract this season because he wants to be franchise tagged. And he wants to be tagged because he wants to see what both Mahomes and Watson get and to allow them to reset the market

It makes a lot of sense.

If he has a decent season and we make the playoffs next year we could be paying Dak more than we could have ever imagined. Especially is Mahomes resets the market at $40m.

And before y’all get yer panties in a bunch, no one is comparing Dak to Mahomes. But if Mahomes gets a giant payday (which he undoubtably will) that will increase the amount of money every other QB will get when they sign. Including Dak

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
And before y’all get yer panties in a bunch, no one is comparing Dak to Mahomes. But if Mahomes gets a giant payday (which he undoubtably will) that will increase the amount of money every other QB will get when they sign. Including Dak

If you're not comparing the two then what are you doing exactly? Mahomes signing will effect the higher tier QB's, as well as the monies allocated to the position if the QB is franchised. Just because Mahomes gets more money won't effect Dak unless Dak plays better. Jerry and company are not sold on Dak. The fact that Dak is, well, Dak played a hand in McCarthy getting the job. Dak will get every chance to succeed with better coaching before they give him big money and tie him up to this team for a decade. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't draft a QB this year for McCarthy to groom. McCarthy won't put all his street cred on Dak Prescott who is turning into a coach killer.

America's Team

Spectator
Reaction score
Prescott will be franchise tagged, I have little doubt about it. Give him a year under McCarthy to see if anything substantial changes.

If it doesn't, it might be wiser to look elsewhere. He's a great leader of men, a tough guy, a great competitor. That is undisputed. His skill set in the pocket, though, remains subpar.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Prescott will be franchise tagged, I have little doubt about it. Give him a year under McCarthy to see if anything substantial changes.

If it doesn't, it might be wiser to look elsewhere. He's a great leader of men, a tough guy, a great competitor. That is undisputed. His skill set in the pocket, though, remains subpar.

I really think Jerry/Stephen are just going to give him $40 mil a year. I think they end up franchising Cooper. Then Transition Tag on Jones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I highly doubt that MM would have come here if he didn’t think Dak was the right choice moving forward. You don’t hitch your wagon to a long term situation like that if you don’t believe in it.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I really think Jerry/Stephen are just going to give him $40 mil a year. I think they end up franchising Cooper. Then Transition Tag on Jones.

Why would he give him 40 when he wouldn't give him 35 or whatever the number was? What changed? Dak choked and the team is sitting at home for the playoffs. Yeah, that deserves a raise.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I highly doubt that MM would have come here if he didn’t think Dak was the right choice moving forward. You don’t hitch your wagon to a long term situation like that if you don’t believe in it.

Parcells came here and he had Quincy Carter. Coaches coach. It's what they do.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
McCarty is like Tuna hire. Jerry must need to build something else and needs folks to stop questioning his decision making. Of course, Dak will do better next year, Year 1 of Tuna and Quincy took us to the Playoffs. We'll start the rebuild the year after next possibly have a legit shot at something in 4 years. I just wanna vomit, I don't dislike this kid. I just don't think he is anything other than Vaporware. And leadership? JFC, this team was good enough to make this kid look good for a little while, they've obviously given up on him and they certainly gave up on their coaching staff this year. If the belief was that Romo wasn't a good leader or QB, how in the absolute fuck can anyone look at this kid and say oh absolutely just the best leader ever and look at those worm burners he throws, just amazeballs!!

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Why would he give him 40 when he wouldn't give him 35 or whatever the number was? What changed? Dak choked and the team is sitting at home for the playoffs. Yeah, that deserves a raise.

You don’t have to believe it but he’s getting $40. You honestly think Jerry balked at giving him $35? It’s Dak that balked. He waiting for the new salary cap numbers to come in and he’s going to demand $40 and the Jones’ are going to give it to him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You don’t have to believe it but he’s getting $40. You honestly think Jerry balked at giving him $35? It’s Dak that balked. He waiting for the new salary cap numbers to come in and he’s going to demand $40 and the Jones’ are going to give it to him.

That's not true according to many who cover the team. The holdup was the length of the deal, not the money.

I seriously doubt Prescott is getting 40 million per year.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

You've been saying this for a while now and it hasn't happened. And it won't happen this year. Dak will get franchised and have to earn Mahomes and top QB money by leading his team to the playoffs.

And the reason Dak is even remotely in this discussion is because the team had to trade a first round pick for a WR because Dak can't make anyone better. We've already spent massive resources to help Dak succeed because he's proven he can't win without a Pro-Bowlers all over the offense. I'd have rather used that #1 we spent on Cooper and used it as collateral to trade up/down and maneuver in the draft for a QB we identified.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score

I dunno. All I kept hearing after three straight losses to New England, Buffalo and Chicago was that Dak was "costing himself money." Throw in the Philly game and he didn't exactly distinguish himself down the stretch. But since Jerry loves him and doesn't want to start over, advantage Dak.

America's Team

Spectator
Reaction score
You've been saying this for a while now and it hasn't happened. And it won't happen this year. Dak will get franchised and have to earn Mahomes and top QB money by leading his team to the playoffs.

And the reason Dak is even remotely in this discussion is because the team had to trade a first round pick for a WR because Dak can't make anyone better. We've already spent massive resources to help Dak succeed because he's proven he can't win without a Pro-Bowlers all over the offense. I'd have rather used that #1 we spent on Cooper and used it as collateral to trade up/down and maneuver in the draft for a QB we identified.

True.

But at this point I wouldn't even try to sign Cooper. Gallup is better.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think they'll sign a veteran to replace Cooper Rush as the backup, and possibly look to draft a 3rd developmental QB in the middle to late rounds.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I dunno. All I kept hearing after three straight losses to New England, Buffalo and Chicago was that Dak was "costing himself money." Throw in the Philly game and he didn't exactly distinguish himself down the stretch. But since Jerry loves him and doesn't want to start over, advantage Dak.
He'll get a taller dollar regardless. If they tag him it's what, 20 mil?

Top Bottom