LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
DOes it really matter what the strategy is/will be, when we all know the results will be FAILURE?

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
We are going to have some awesome kickoff return teams and super special 4th quarter depth. Once the game is in hand, Mincey and McClain are going to terrorize other teams' back-up O Linemen.

Starting Defense just isn't as important as back-up defense and Special Teams.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
lol well I expected that we wouldn't re-sign Hatcher and Spencer and cut off a lot of dead weight such as Austin.

Didn't imagine we'd let go of Ware.

I'd say our offseason has gone pretty smoothly.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I wanted us to try to improve and take one last shot at getting Ware, Witten, and Romo a ring. I'm okay with the financially motivated decision to cut Ware and I wanted no part of Hatcher and Spencer returning. What I do not understand is rushing out and signing these hacks that most likely would have been still be available in a month. If we're rebuilding, pass on these guys and sign equally (un)talented 1-year guys down the road. What does Mincey, McClain, and Herring do for us?

Reaction score
Yeah usually you let the market calm down and then see what's out there. Guess we were really scared these RKG's would get away.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I wanted us to try to improve and take one last shot at getting Ware, Witten, and Romo a ring. I'm okay with the financially motivated decision to cut Ware and I wanted no part of Hatcher and Spencer returning. What I do not understand is rushing out and signing these hacks that most likely would have been still be available in a month. If we're rebuilding, pass on these guys and sign equally (un)talented 1-year guys down the road. What does Mincey, McClain, and Herring do for us?

We're so far away from getting a shot at the title that it isn't even funny.

C'mon, chris, I thought you let all this foolish homer hope get away from you.

Reaction score
I haven't paid attention to what we've done this off season. I mean, I know Ware and Hatcher are gone and I know we signed three randoms but I don't know anything else about who we're looking at and have no clue what our cap situation is.

As far as strategy, Jerry is the kind of guy who thinks every year we can get to the Super Bowl. In fact, I'm fairly certain he just said recently we can get there THIS year.

So I don't think any of these moves have anything to do with anything long term. They must think the guys we signed can come in and contribute at a relatively high level, or be respetable rotation guys. I'd hope that their signings wouldn't prevent us from going heavy DL in the draft.

But your OP was spot on. We have no strategy. We don't know what we're doing year to year. We're as dysfunctional franchise as their is.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Here is an interesting experiment. Go to overthecap and open up the 2014 Cowboys page and the 2015 Cowboys page.

From a financial standpoint, I think Dallas actually did some fairly smart things this year. I've been saying all offseason that the Ware contract is an albatross and something needed to be done. Personally, I think you could have gotten something for him. And I probably would have taken the whole Miles hit this year to open up more cap space in 2015.

Anyway, back to my point, if you look at guys like Witten, Carr, Free.....it actually costs you money against the cap this year to let them go. Next year, you actually see a cap savings to move on from them. However, for this year, other than young guys, you get no real cap savings by moving on from people unless you tag them as June 1 cuts and push more dead money into next year.

The Ware cut, in my opinion, was to create enough space to make sure you can lock up Dez and Tyron to extensions this year. Then in 2015, you move on from some other vets (Free/Witten, Carr if he sucks again), open up a bunch of cap space and try to rebuild around youth.

Now, there are certainly plenty of things you can question. Why cut Ware to sign nobodies to overpriced contracts? No idea, but my guess is someone is trying to outsmart themselves. If this is McClay's new stroke, I'm scared. But, maybe the thought is "If we just have enough DL depth to get through the season, we can slip into the playoffs". Horrible strategy, but I could see the argument.

Anyway, I think OT is a very real possibility in this draft. I'm sure Martin is appealing because he could play guard this year and slide out to replace Free next year. I think LB is a real possibility since they probably plan to let Carter walk unless the light comes on.

Plenty to still criticize though. Dallas is always a year late addressing items. They are constantly in the mode of trying to stick their finger in a hole in the dam while others sprout up around them. Thinking their safeties are adequate is horrible. They can't evaluate the position to save their lives. I think they are once again overestimating the ability of the coaches (Marinelli) to get more out of players.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You say I'm on board. ... I Wouldn't go that far. .. Im all for . Rebuilding... Trying to build via the draft... I have no idea if that's their plan, if it is, then yes, I'm on board.. But im not so sure it's the plan...

Really I've just been arguing with you on why you think they should try and win now... Its a dumb idea, imo

Last edited:
Reaction score
Rebuilding through the draft and through free agency have been more bust than boom since the Jimmy and Deion days respectively. I don't really trust this team to do much unless a coach like Parcells comes back and puts legit guys in place. It's also key to run off Lacewell and the other Death Star groupies.

IF you draft well for 2-3 straight years, things can easily turned around with the right coach. This happened in Seattle, SF, Denver and Baltimore recently. Even with that being a clear path, those teams had GMs savvy enough to stockpile some picks. Thats something that would never happen in Dallas.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If Romo gets hurt, this team won't win more than 5 Games... Considering his age and his back history, I'm willing to bet he doesn't last all season..Shrewd or not, we might have a top 5 pick next year

Top Bottom