Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Let's put this bullshit oxymoron narrative to bed right now.

To say that we are closer to the Super Bowl today is to believe - in the face of the evidence - the optimists who have been so toweringly wrong in the past. To suggest we are on the edge of perennial 4-12 and worse is to yield to unreasonable pessimism. To say that we are mired in mediocrity seems the only realistic, although agreed unsatisfactory, conclusion.

But it is increasingly clear to this forum poster that the only rational way forward is when Jerry Jones DIES, with optimistic hope that his progeny won't be as stupid and self absorbed as he is - even with evidence to the contrary of that thus far.

So it is not "negative" at all to believe nothing will change significantly, after 20 years of demonstrable and in fact demonstrated, mediocrity. It is simply, realism.

And that's the memo.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree somewhat Mr. O'Reilly but I'm pretty convinced Jerry's offspring is more like Jerry than not. It's business and making money is the name of the game. Some folks have a goal of winning and making money. With this family, it's all about the money. Everything else is secondary. The sad part is that the fans continue to support this abortion. I feel like I live in North Korea and know that the dictator's son will take over the reigns after he dies and the years of being held hostage will continue.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I have hope when Stephen takes over because I do not see his ego as being as large as Jerruh's and is much more likely to be willing to bring in a real GM.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Stephen Jones is not bringing in a GM. No way, no how. Cowboys fans have been so desensitized that the only thing they have left is "hope."

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I have hope when Stephen takes over because I do not see his ego as being as large as Jerruh's and is much more likely to be willing to bring in a real GM.

Stephen is not as camera hungry as Jerry is. I do agree that he is a businessman first though. I think once Jerry is gone Charlotte and Jr. will take over the marketing and Stephen will take over the financial side and player personnel side. Based on Stephen's history I think there will be one major difference between Stephen and Jerry. Stephen won't be as quick to go after high priced high profile (me, me, me types) like Deion and TO. I think Stephen will be less inclined break the bank for a high profile free agent. Now will Stephen ever hire a GM? I can only hope he will, I'm not very optimistic though.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
could never understand why they mocked "realists." what's wrong with being in touch with reality?

Reaction score
I'm basically not even a fan of this team anymore, due to ownership.

I mostly only continue to post here out of habit.

Oh and dbairs jokes. Love that funny son of a bitchs posts.

Reaction score
Hope is what keeps most of us excited about change and angry when the same things are promoted over and over expecting different results. However there is a sinister new spin on hope that Jason has given us, particularly this year: distorted optimism. It seems as if for every major criticism in the media, there is something dispatched from the Garrett Mindguard to keep everyone in line. Just like a business that has been failing in annual earnings will manipulate the 4th quarter earnings in order to keep stockholders and consumer faith on the upswing, Jason will point to exclusive and tangential events as reasons for optimism. This is where I think that Jason has really locked in the Jones. He can point to sudden gashes and gains of yards that have happened in games to show how effective his system is. But to the trained and analytical eye, Jason (especially during the 8-8 years) would go to 5 WRs, when teams who were leading Dallas before halftime or in the last 2:00 of games, would draw back to prevent defenses which allows for about 5-7 generally uncontested completions of 10-15 yard passes but very little points that make any difference in the game. How many times did we hear: "Well we like some of the things we were able to do at the end of the game". But just like a business or company that rebounds in the fourth quarter for optimism, the question to seasoned stockholders is: what was the story in the previous three quarters? Romo confirmed early this year that he developed certain abilities to survive in games from playing from behind so often in games. Jerry also pointed to the sheer amount of yards that the offense was generating but seemed to still be waiting for points that would win games.

This year was a little different. There seemed to be an urgency to publicly redefine what was exposed when Jason's true coaching ability and leadership were supposed to be leading the team or solving the issues. Distorted optimism.

There have been major criticisms throughout the year but especially at the end of the year and Jason (or Jason through Jerry or Romo etc) points to ridiculous conditions to show that the team is on the upswing and his system/coaching should not be challenged.

Back up quarterback: points to Kitna even though Kitna was trained by Bratkowski and just like the business model of ignoring the first three financial quarters, why was there no explanation of McGee, Weeden, Cassell, Vaughn, etc? Just moved to the only QB with any success. Then, used the second half of the Redskin game when the Redskins had nothing to play for and none of their major defensive players were putting themselves in a position to get hurt before their playoff games, Kellen Moore and Terrance Williams have banner games. To the untrained eye it's a rebound in the 4th quarter but it's a manipulated condition that allowed the perception of gains and potential. But really, how many points were scored in that game? Who scored them? 400+ passing with how many TDs? How many interceptions? Terrance Williams suddenly had the best game of his season but who was actually covering him and what were the Redskins allowing? Both issues are very much staining question marks of Jason's leadership: developing a QB other than Romo such that the draft will force Jason to show his coaching ability and that Terrance Williams who was a Garrett handpick should be replaced this year as he has been routinely incompetent.

I think Jason spends more time issuing face-saving statements than he does actually leading/contriving winning components for his team. Just like a business with stockholders: distorted optimism.

What about not scoring points, what did we hear? Question deflected to defenses faults (the Green Bay game).
What about that many in the Dallas media were looking at the Patriots who change their offensive scheme weekly to attack opposing defenses, in particular the use of "rub" plays, natural picks, and crossing patterns to get their players open. What was the Dallas response? Tony Romo made some random statement which was not even in context to his interview about "all systems being really the same" which was obvious this year more than any other year of being untrue. There are systems that are flexible and have several options all the times (Erhardt-Perkins) there are systems that are highly orchestrated (WCO), there are combination systems (eg Glibrides system was a combination of a run and shoot and WCO) and then there are updated systems like Arians, Kubiak, Gase etc who have modernized and mixed Coryell, WCO, and Erhardt depending on who they are playing.

Dallas needed a running back. They raided the Seahawks cast offs and then released Michael when the needed him. Terrance Williams and Devin Streets had not caught passes in weeks and Michael was released because of performance issues.
Dallas needed LBs. Somehow the personnel department who brought us the distorted optimism of Matt Johnson also brought us Damien Wilson and Mark Nzeocha. They needed Jasper Brinkley but let him go because they had to keep a roster spot for an unused and wasted draft pick in Geoff Swaim.

They needed Corey White but they let him go because of performance issues. The pass first offense was not scoring points or doing anything and yet one of the most pivotal parts of the 15th ranked defense was released???

It's not negative at all. It's realistically asking questions and asking that when answers are given that they match reality.

Hope is what we are hungry for.

Distorted optimism is what we are fed instead.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
This is the fuel that enables jerri, not that he is a genius marketer, I want to punch a puppy when I hear people say that about jerri

You don't think he's a genius at marketing this team?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It's the Dallas Cowboys. Most of the marketing and ALL of the branding was already in place courtesy of Tex.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Not a chance in hell, what has he ever said or done to cause you to be a fan or believe in his idiotic annual prognostications?

He's full of shit and I cant imagine anyone with half a brain giving any credence to anything he says about the team.

Publicity and image management would be traits of a genius marketer no? Yet jerri blew his image within the first week of owning the team and has done nothing but make it worse ever since, not exactly what I would expect from a "genius marketer". Lol, they cant even show his ugly mug on his vidja board without getting booed (I love that by the way).

People are fans because they love the brand that was established under the Landry era (enhanced by Jimmys short tenure), I'm not sure why anyone under the age of 20 would choose to be Cowboy fan, they have been nothing but an exercise in frustration since jerri ran off the best coach he ever had and became large and in charge.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
It's the Dallas Cowboys. Most of the marketing and ALL of the branding was already in place courtesy of Tex.

Tex definitely laid the foundation. He's the one that insisted that the Cowboys be in the NFC East. He wanted them in that NY Market. He's also responsible for the Cowboys having a pennant game on Thanksgiving. Make no mistake though Jerry has done as much to keep them relevant. He's been a key player if not THE key player in every TV deal the NFL has negotiated since he's been in the league. That's the reason they have always gotten so many nationally televised games. Jerry also has a steak in the NFL Network.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
That's the reason they have always gotten so many nationally televised games.

no offense amigo but this is nonsense. The Cowboys get televised games because they draw eyes from virtually all fans, those that love them as well as those that hate them not because higher powers rigged the TV schedule as a pay back to jerri.

Ironically, jerris been great for every team except the Dallas Cowboys. He was instrumental in pushing for the salary cap that killed dynasties and gave hope to almost every team that previously had no shot and killed his own dynasty in the process

I could go on for days, this should be obvious to everyone

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Not a chance in hell, what has he ever said or done to cause you to be a fan or believe in his idiotic annual prognostications?

He's full of shit and I cant imagine anyone with half a brain giving any credence to anything he says about the team.

Publicity and image management would be traits of a genius marketer no? Yet jerri blew his image within the first week of owning the team and has done nothing but make it worse ever since, not exactly what I would expect from a "genius marketer". Lol, they cant even show his ugly mug on his vidja board without getting booed (I love that by the way).

People are fans because they love the brand that was established under the Landry era (enhanced by Jimmys short tenure), I'm not sure why anyone under the age of 20 would choose to be Cowboy fan, they have been nothing but an exercise in frustration since jerri ran off the best coach he ever had and became large and in charge.

Without marketing this team would have nothing but a bunch of old guys bitching and moaning and wishing for the good old days. There would be very few young fans. Who else is going to follow a team that has won only 2 playoff games in twenty years? This team sells more merch than any team in the NFL. This team has the highest value of any team on the planet (and will increase after the facility in Frisco is completed). I'm sorry but even common sense will tell you that you can't do that without marketing. This team has die hard fans that are too young to even remember those 90's teams. Again, not done without some genius marketing.

Now he could do even better if he actually pulled his head out of his ass and gave this team a chance to win. You and I both know that will never happen as long as he is alive. What he's doing though is making enough money to do whatever the fuck he wants to do with this team. Even if it means he's running this team into the ground. That's what he wants though, to do whatever the fuck he wants. It's HIS team and his toy. That's why he's a genius at marketing this team.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Make no mistake though Jerry has done as much to keep them relevant.
He's rode the tide of popularity from 20 years ago. This IDIOT originally wanted to change everything, starting with the cheerleader uniforms.

He already has enough of his stadium pole dancers sucking his dick without forum board posters doing it too.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
He's rode the tide of popularity from 20 years ago. This IDIOT originally wanted to change everything, starting with the cheerleader uniforms.

No team has a 20 year wave. I don't care who you are. Also that still doesn't explain the mass of young fans who were too young to even remember the 90's teams.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

The problem is that ppl change once the crown is placed upon their heads. Baby Jerruh might not be that bad right now, but once he holds the keys to the entire kingdom his ego shall grow and his ignorance shall be thrust upon us as it has been with King Jerruh

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
No team has a 20 year wave. I don't care who you are. Also that still doesn't explain the mass of young fans who were too young to even remember the 90's teams.
Dallas does, in fact it's much more than 20 years. Hell not even the Shamwow guy could screw up this branding and the momentum of this machine. It's the Dallas fucking Cowboys.

You don't think a good percentage of young fans aren't "legacies" with their parents before them?

Top Bottom