boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
So, any reports of any rioting yet? I haven't see anything.

My local Best Buy is safe, but there were riots in Oakland...

1373816114000-TRAYVON-1-1307141136_4_3.jpg

A BART police vehicle is vandalized in Oakland, Calif. during a protest after George Zimmerman was found not guilty. Protesters angered by the acquittal of Zimmerman held largely peaceful demonstrations in three California cities, but broke windows and started small street fires Oakland, police said. Anda Chu, AP

1373816114001-TRAYVON-2-1307141136_4_3.jpg

A man, identifying himself only as "superpunk", throws a trash can at the window of a building in Oakland, Calif. during a protest after George Zimmerman was found not guilty. Anda Chu, AP

Reaction score
He still would have been arrested and charged I think.

I don't believe that to be true.

CNN) -- The George Zimmerman investigation was hijacked "in a number of ways" by outside forces, said the former police chief of Sanford, Florida.

Bill Lee, who testified Monday in Zimmerman's second-degree murder trial, told CNN's George Howell in an exclusive interview that he felt pressure from city officials to arrest Zimmerman to placate the public rather than as a matter of justice.

"It was (relayed) to me that they just wanted an arrest. They didn't care if it got dismissed later," he said. "You don't do that."

When Sanford police arrived on the scene on February 26, 2012, after Zimmerman fatally shot unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, they conducted a "sound" investigation, and the evidence provided no probable cause to arrest Zimmerman at the scene, he said.

It had nothing to do with Florida's controversial "Stand Your Ground" law, he said; from an investigative standpoint, it was purely a matter of self-defense.

Zimmerman told police he killed Martin after the teen attacked him. While the evidence at the time corroborated that claim, the ex-chief said, Lee's lead investigator made a recommendation that Zimmerman be charged with manslaughter.

It was a matter of protocol, Lee said. Arresting Zimmerman based on the evidence at hand would have been a violation of Zimmerman's Fourth Amendment rights, he said. Thus, the Sanford police presented a "capias request" to the state's attorney, asking that the prosecutor determine whether it was a "justifiable homicide," issue a warrant for arrest or present the case to a grand jury.

"The police department needed to do a job, and there was some influence -- outside influence and inside influence -- that forced a change in the course of the normal criminal justice process," Lee said. "With all the influence and the protests and petitions for an arrest, you still have to uphold your oath."

"That investigation was taken away from us. We weren't able to complete it," he said.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I don't believe that to be true.

I am no lawyer, but the problem is what they were after. If the DA strongly went for manslaughter instead of the idea he was a murderer, he probably could have got arrested and charged.

Yes, they wanted an arrest, but the spectacle of going after him with the express intent of pursuing a murder charge served the purpose. From my understanding the lead homicide investigator recommended he be charged that night for manslaughter but it got shot down because the DA didn't think there was enough evidence.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I thought there was someone who wanted manslaughter at first but was kind of brushed aside.

I didn't watch the trial but one of the commentators suggested that the prosecution did a horrible job in preparing this guy because they basically torpedo'd their whole Murder 2 charge by having a guy come in and say that he initially wanted to go for manslaughter.

Maybe I'm mixing a couple things up but I thought it did come out that there was someone in the department who wanted manslaughter from the get-go.

Reaction score
Listen guys... read this thread from cover to cover.

That should eliminate any doubt that I am the go to source for knowledge on this case.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
You should blame facebook and twitter.

Twitter and Facebook are two things I wish didn't exist right now. It gives every swinging dick moron a sense of importance and it is a public way to display the sheer cumulative ignorance of humanity down to the exact moment.

Back in the old days, you would have to wait for the small collection of retards to blurt out something stupid from the back of the crowd. Now the herp derps are shouting en masse every second.

It is also a way for the terminally guilt ridden to feel like they are making a difference instead of you know, going out and actually doing it.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Michael Moore @MMFlint
Had a gun-toting Trayvon Martin stalked an unarmed George Zimmerman, and then shot him to death... DO I EVEN NEED TO COMPLETE THIS SENTENCE?

-------------

This sums up the idiotic logic you can read for yourself on Twitter.

Fact is simple, if you don't like the verdict, show up and vote, get the "stand your ground laws" overturned. Vote in better public officials, including judges and police chiefs, that will not stand for the things you think happened here.

Wait, that's too much work. I'd rather just bitch about this being about race and make myself feel like part of the crusade.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
^ was trayvon not standing his ground?

I think standing your ground applies to use of force in the face of a perceived threat. Had they been able to prove that Zimmerman pulled his gun, I think yeah, you could start something silly like this. The spirit of the law is about the duty to retreat. He could have kept going home.

Top Bottom