Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ronto-streetcar-shooting-video-questions.html

There is a video in the link and it is on YouTube. Can't embed the video on my phone.

The Toronto police officer who shot a teenager on a downtown streetcar two days ago has been suspended from his job with pay, CBC News has learned.

The news about the officer's suspension comes hours after police Chief Bill Blair told reporters that people "have every right to be concerned" after an 18-year-old man armed with a knife on a downtown streetcar was shot repeatedly and killed by police this weekend — an incident captured by amateur video.

Blair said he has seen the video, which was posted online.

"I am very aware that the public is very concerned about this tragic event," he told media in a prepared statement. "They have every right to be concerned."

Streetcar shooting prompts protest march in Toronto
RAW VIDEO: Original Toronto shooting video (Warning: graphic content)
Witnesses say Sammy Yatim was alone on the 505 Dundas streetcar near Trinity Bellwoods Park when he was shot just after midnight ET Saturday morning. He had pulled a knife and ordered everybody off the streetcar, witnesses say.

The video shows the stopped streetcar at a distance, with multiple police officers nearby, at least one with his hands raised to shoulder height.

Nine gunshots are heard within 13 seconds.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
Why was this man running around on a streetcar in a threating manner with a knife in the middle of the night? The article never touches on that.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
Why was this man running around on a streetcar in a threating manner with a knife in the middle of the night? The article never touches on that.

Probably because he was polite and gentle.
Not to shit down on someone's grief, but a guy wielding a knife and ordering people off the streetcar isn't polite and gently.

Reaction score
If he was alone on the street car why did the feel the need to shoot him 9 times, then taser him? As the article suggested he was contained either taser him or just let him sit there until you can talk him down. The investigation of the cop's action seem reasonable to me.

Reaction score
He should've stopped provoking the cops.

And what is the relevance of him being 18? Why is that in the articles title?

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
dez and 2233.... I was not there so I have no idea if it was overkill. That was why I was asking for some more facts. An investigation may be warranted, but it "feels" like many are protesting just to protest before all the facts are known. Was he on drugs? Mental history? What was he doing there in the first place? Obviously he was looking for trouble. Normal people do not just commandeer a streetcar at knife point in the middle of the night. For some reason the author of the article only posted one side of the story. That always makes me a little leery.

Does anyone know the rest of the story?

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
Kinda over kill though, isn't it?

It's hard to tell from this point of view, but generally a man wielding a knife in the presence of cops called because of his actions averages out to him being shot. It's tragic anyone was shot, but I'm not sure why it's readily assumed that the cop, who is charged by society to keep order and has a gun to do so is seen as the aggressor, over the guy with a weapon who is not representing society and caused the incident in the first place.

It's odd, how people are so sensitive about how that kind of power will go to a cops head and the ramifications it might bring about, but the ramifications of hamstringing the cops and letting criminals and aggressors know that representatives of the law are the ones who are first to be scrutinized goes unspoken.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
It's worth investigating for sure, but not for people taking to the streets assuming the cops guilt.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
To early to tell but this video shows him rushing toward the officers after being told not to move. That is an excellent way to end up dead. Suicide by cop?

Unlike previously obscured footage of the moment Yatim was shot, the security camera footage shows him briskly moving forward to the point where he is almost in line with the driver’s cab door, before his knees buckle and he falls backwards.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...oment-sammy-yatim-was-shot-by-toronto-police/

Reaction score
:lol no it doesn't. Did you even watch it or read the article. He moved to the front door where he had been before and was shot. Then his leg twitched and he was shot 6 more times.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Exactly. Twitch your leg in front of the police and expect to get shot every time.

Top Bottom