Reaction score
No need to blatantly lie. This is one of the most incomplete teams that he's had the displeasure of playing with. The line will be just as bad as its been. No running game because of it. Safety play will be dreadful.

Just say you can't wait to get out there and compete with your team. But don't bullshit me. The team is on the decline, it has been for the last 4 or so years.

Sit back and enjoy the train wreck.

Never thought of it like that but I think you're right. Romo is using the "opposite is actually true" optimism that you usually see out of Jones. Just when Jones says "O-line is not a need; Wade's job is not in jeopardy; Jason is intelligent" etc, the opposite is usually true. Chances are Romo is freaked out by the amount of questionmarks and uncertainties and thus his positive response is reaction formation to the actual incompleteness.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
"This is the safest dirigible I've ever flown."

pb-120504-hindenburg-09.photoblog900.jpg

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Being as this team is essentially the same one that took the field last season, I'm guessing that was one of Romo's most complete teams too?

We're so complete, we barely get to 8-8.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'd like to have him look me in the eye and tell that same BULLSHIT when asked if he honestly believes this years team is better than the 2007 squad (13-3 under Captain Kangaroo: Wade) that had top seed in playoffs and choked to the NY Pissants.

:eek:k

That's the problem - this entire team, led by the biggest and blindest optimist, Jerry Jones, are all blind to reality.

This team was very average last year, and they spent more time in the 2012 season looking like a bad team than they did a good one.

I don't expect them to come out and say "we suck", but I just wish these dummies would at least be honest or say some PC jargon like:

"Well, time will tell. We feel good about where we are, but it's not a coincidence when you go 8-8 three years in a row. We think we can be good, but we'll let our play dictate answer that question"

Why is this so hard?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
That's the problem - this entire team, led by the biggest and blindest optimist, Jerry Jones, are all blind to reality.

This team was very average last year, and they spent more time in the 2012 season looking like a bad team than they did a good one.

I don't expect them to come out and say "we suck", but I just wish these dummies would at least be honest or say some PC jargon like:

"Well, time will tell. We feel good about where we are, but it's not a coincidence when you go 8-8 three years in a row. We think we can be good, but we'll let our play dictate answer that question"

Why is this so hard?
Agree with this. You don't have to say we suck, but there's nothing wrong with saying we're disappointed in what we've done the last couple of years, 8-8 isn't good enough, and we're working hard to correct that.

Sad thing is, Stephen had been one of the few leaders of this team who would say things like that and even bluntly call out some aspects of this team. But lately he sounds more like his dad.

Reaction score
Did anyone read the Broaddas Point vs Counterpoint article about how Callahan's playcalling will affect the team this year? He starts out pointing that between the 20s, Garrett's playcalling was good and then he makes mention about execution in the red zone, but from there Broaddas faults Garrett as giving up on the run too quickly and limiting the Cowboys options too soon.

My perspective on Garrett is changing. It seems to me that he is not refusing to use an array of plays and intentionally dwindling the playbook down to his preferred catalog of 1990's era Xs and Os. Instead, Garrett seems to just not know that he doesn't know. When Todd Archer stated that there were certain plays that Romo wanted to use, that turned out to be effective but that Jason just did not call, there's a sense that Garrett is stubborn or arrogant; but there is also a sense that he cannot understand any plays outside of the few that he knows very well. Outside of the time with Sparano, Garrett has done the same playcalling over the years with less and less variation: most OCs with that sort of tenure do the opposite and add wrinkles and grafts of progressive remedies to failures in previous seasons. When a successful coach like a Mike Tomlin, Parcells, Jeff Fisher, Belichick, Coughlin, or Sean Payton uses clever deceits, tricks, innovation and elements of surprise, what does that say about a coach who does not - even when the game is on the line and one last attempt could put the team in the playoffs? I think Broaddas points out subtley that Garrett is still without a clue about how to manage the offense.
The question in my mind has been, is Garrett refusing to adjust or does he just not know. In the past, I thought he was willfully refusing to concede that his philosophy is out of date and ineffective. Now I think Garrett is rigid in a way that makes him appear disabled. Its like he has some sort of football pathology like Passbergers Syndrome, part of a greater Offensive Spectrum Disorder that makes Garrett see formations in only one dimension.
IMO, Its not so much that he won't, its more that he can't. Happy for two things here: Callahan as an additional collaborator and also that DCU allows such posts - Zone would never allow this.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Good post, Omega.

I post a lot of shit about Garrett because, well, he's so much worse a coach than we could have and he does have that arrogance that he's always the smartest guy in the room about everything. But to be more serious for a minute, here's what I really think about Garrett:

I think when he came in that 2007 season and Tony lit it up -- especially on third down conversions, where Tony had IIRC one of the best 3rd down and long yardage conversion percentages ever -- Garrett thought it was all him. He thought he really was this genius that some had tabbed him to be. He didn't realize that it was really 1) Tony's first full season as starter 2) TO still being a beast 3) Sparano understanding how to use the running game. If he'd had more experience and/or more humility, he'd have realized that performance wasn't sustainable, but of course he didn't.

And when things turned disappointing in 2008 and full-on disastrous in 2010, well, that was all Wade's fault, like everyone said. And why not -- he had an owner who loved him and fans and media who blamed it all on fat, dumb, country Wade and not-so-secretly couldn't wait for prodigy coach-in-waiting to take the reins. Garrett was a Princeton man; no doubt he was vastly superior in pretty much every way to this rube from Houston. If he could just do things his way, the team would play to its potential right away.

So when he took over in 2010 and the team started winning, which carried over into a 7-4 start the next year, it just reinforced his belief that he really was that good. All he needed to do was stand tall, speak in a commanding voice with proper grammar, put the team in pads more often, and bingo, the ship was righted. Just like he suspected, this team was woefully underperfoming before -- all it needed was him. This job wasn't hard at all. He was born to do this.

But then... Total collapse at the end of 2011. Suckage almost all of 2012. A 9-12 record since that glorious 12-7 start. Turns out this head coaching business isn't so easy after all.

And I think he's not sure what to do. That's why he gets so defensive and tells everyone how great his offense has been since he took over and how we've played for the East title two years in a row. (Never mind that it was to win the worst East in at least six or seven years, and that it never should have come down to a last game in 2011 if he hadn't lost four of our last five in that year's collapse.)

In a nutshell, he just doesn't know what he's doing. He doesn't have the experience. Which ties his Ivy League brain in knots, because geniuses are supposed to be able to bypass experience.

Or, something no one talks about, he's simply not a talented coach. Some people act like with more time under his belt, he's necessarily going to be good, but it's very likely that he simply wasn't born with the gift that the best coaches have. A Parcells or Jimmy or even Holmgren were born with more talent than the rest to lead, to call games, to manage people, to do all those hard-to-define things that the best coaches do. No different than anything else in life.

TLDR version -- this is the risk you take when you anoint a relative kid who never proved anything other than a family proclivity for kissing Jerry ass.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Garrett was a Princeton man; no doubt he was vastly superior in pretty much every way to this rube from Houston.

It's amazing how many fans keep citing that as a point in his favor. Every year since 1967, two head coaches who never went to Princeton have led their team to a Super Bowl. Some have even done it repeatedly. How did the big dummies manage it?

Reaction score
In a nutshell, he just doesn't know what he's doing. He doesn't have the experience. Which ties his Ivy League brain in knots, because geniuses are supposed to be able to bypass experience.

Or, something no one talks about, he's simply not a talented coach.

You have nailed the situation exactly.

What has this guy really done to have earned his current position? Graduated from Princeton? It's silly, really.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Good post, Omega.

I post a lot of shit about Garrett because, well, he's so much worse a coach than we could have and he does have that arrogance that he's always the smartest guy in the room about everything. But to be more serious for a minute, here's what I really think about Garrett:

I think when he came in that 2007 season and Tony lit it up -- especially on third down conversions, where Tony had IIRC one of the best 3rd down and long yardage conversion percentages ever -- Garrett thought it was all him. He thought he really was this genius that some had tabbed him to be. He didn't realize that it was really 1) Tony's first full season as starter 2) TO still being a beast 3) Sparano understanding how to use the running game. If he'd had more experience and/or more humility, he'd have realized that performance wasn't sustainable, but of course he didn't.

And when things turned disappointing in 2008 and full-on disastrous in 2010, well, that was all Wade's fault, like everyone said. And why not -- he had an owner who loved him and fans and media who blamed it all on fat, dumb, country Wade and not-so-secretly couldn't wait for prodigy coach-in-waiting to take the reins. Garrett was a Princeton man; no doubt he was vastly superior in pretty much every way to this rube from Houston. If he could just do things his way, the team would play to its potential right away.

So when he took over in 2010 and the team started winning, which carried over into a 7-4 start the next year, it just reinforced his belief that he really was that good. All he needed to do was stand tall, speak in a commanding voice with proper grammar, put the team in pads more often, and bingo, the ship was righted. Just like he suspected, this team was woefully underperfoming before -- all it needed was him. This job wasn't hard at all. He was born to do this.

But then... Total collapse at the end of 2011. Suckage almost all of 2012. A 9-12 record since that glorious 12-7 start. Turns out this head coaching business isn't so easy after all.

And I think he's not sure what to do. That's why he gets so defensive and tells everyone how great his offense has been since he took over and how we've played for the East title two years in a row. (Never mind that it was to win the worst East in at least six or seven years, and that it never should have come down to a last game in 2011 if he hadn't lost four of our last five in that year's collapse.)

Or, something no one talks about, he's simply not a talented coach. Some people act like with more time under his belt, he's necessarily going to be good, but it's very likely that he simply wasn't born with the gift that the best coaches have. A Parcells or Jimmy or even Holmgren were born with more talent than the rest to lead, to call games, to manage people, to do all those hard-to-define things that the best coaches do. No different than anything else in life.

TLDR version -- this is the risk you take when you anoint a relative kid who never proved anything other than a family proclivity for kissing Jerry ass.

Nuh uh.[/hostile]

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
You have nailed the situation exactly.

What has this guy really done to have earned his current position? Graduated from Princeton? It's silly, really.

well, he once QBed the team and his daddy worked for the Cowboys. nuff said.

Top Bottom