yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
George Clooney had a great diatribe about why he doesn't have a social media account. He said he doesn't want to be that idiot who posts without thinking (or after drinking), goes to bed, and then wakes up to find out that his career is over. You have a right to free speech but not any protection at all from being stupid with it.

what did Gina say that was any of the above?

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
IIUC, this is what I understand Gina posted:

View attachment 8079

Here is Disneys response:

How on earth are they concluding Gina is "denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities" based on that post?

Is there another comment she made I am overlooking?

Its an insane the lack of logic or will fulfill ignorance on display here, I've said this very thing in more detail multiple times here because its an apt comparison

That is the entirety of the quote and interaction that caused Disney to fire her.

The worst part is her co-star made a similar post yet he is still employed by Disney. I suppose it’s much harder to recast the star of the show vs a secondary character in the show.

But....
The Star who plays the Mandalorian does wear a helmet so technically anyone can play him and the only difference would be the actors voice

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
what did Gina say that was any of the above?
It's not even relevant to the idiot idea that seemed to be suggested earlier that the government should protect us from being fired over what we say. I defend the right of companies to fire whoever they want for whatever reason.

This does not mean consequences shouldn't follow. Like boycotts and such.

I don't want the federal government involved in what is patently a private matter. These fucks keep screaming for bigger and ever more intrusive federal government then cite the constitution and don't even realize they're calling for yet more fascism and despotism.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
These fucks keep screaming for bigger and ever more intrusive federal government
They cheered when the Dixie Chicks got cancelled, fired by their record label, preached it wasn't protected speech, but then scream NEED MOAR GOVERNMENT when it happens to a conservative, fucking infantile sissies. Pussies. Calling for help from mommy 'cuz them meanies were mean.

Then there's the shit of "Kaepernick (or other left winger) needs to keep his/her politics quiet and concentrate on his/her acting/sport/whatever." Well if it's true for them then it's true for all. It's all good as long as your guys, the good guys, are doing it.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
That is the entirety of the quote and interaction that caused Disney to fire her.
Doesn't seem so. It seems it has been an ongoing problem, even her own publicist bailed on her last year. AND the fact she deleted all the past offensive tweets as soon as this one blew up kind of shows she knows she was playing with fire. Here's more information.

If you really and truly believe what you're saying, you leave it there. You don't delete it to appease people.

Creeper

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Yes, many definitely do. The Bill of Rights protects us against GOVERNMENT action only. Not private action, not from each other, not from our employer. ONLY the government. The entire Constitution is about protecting us from the government. Nothing else. In fact there's only one amendment in it that restricts private action.

"Freedom of speech" doesn't mean there can't be consequences of the speech. It means the government can't censor, interfere, or punish, speech. Private enterprise certainly can. Individuals certainly can.

The Equal Rights Amendment changed all of that. Because of the ERA, a private businesses cannot discriminate against individuals on the basis of sex, race or sexual preference from employment, promotion, or equal pay. Other amendments make it illegal for businesses to bar patrons within protected classes. More recently, courts have fined private business owners for denying services to gay weddings on religious grounds. The ERA changed the purpose of government to a protector of civil rights from private individuals and businesses. Further, government established quota systems to ensure private businesses and private colleges hired or accepted certain numbers of members of the protected classes. It seems the government has stepped into protect certain rights for certain people but it will not step in to protect free speech rights for everyone.

Creeper

In the Rotation
Reaction score
It's not even relevant to the idiot idea that seemed to be suggested earlier that the government should protect us from being fired over what we say. I defend the right of companies to fire whoever they want for whatever reason.

This does not mean consequences shouldn't follow. Like boycotts and such.

I don't want the federal government involved in what is patently a private matter. These fucks keep screaming for bigger and ever more intrusive federal government then cite the constitution and don't even realize they're calling for yet more fascism and despotism.

Sorry dude, I am not making the rules, I just want one set of rules. A business cannot fire you because you are a Muslim, or a Jew or a Christian. If a business did fire you because of your religion, you could file a lawsuit which you would win and collect a handsome bounty for your troubles. In the meantime, the business would face government fines and other penalties for its behavior.

What is a religion? It is a set of beliefs, that quite frankly, are often more farfetched than believing the election was stolen. So why is religion protected but political beliefs are not? In case you are wondering a court in NY ruled that political affiliation is not a protected class so, yes, you can be denied a seat in a restaurant for wearing a MAGA hat. And in fact, the court ruled on that exact example after a bar owner kicked a Trump supporter out of his establishment. Why is it less shameful to see Sarah Sanders kicked out of a restaurant because she worked in the Trump administration than when a gay person is kicked out of a bakery for being gay? Does political ideology not deserve the same protection as religious ideology? Again, I am not asking the government to do anything it is not already doing for race, religion, gender and sexual preference - and now they have added sexual identity to the mix, which again seems more farfetched to me than Fulton county Georgia cheated in 2020.

I am not going to debate the merits of allowing discrimination or opposing it, only the selective application of protection. For me, it is all or none, but we cannot make up the rules as we choose because at the moment the majority favors punishment of the minority. Do you not see the slippery slope? The government, and many private businesses, are defining domestic terrorism as supporting Trump or believing the election was full of fraud.

Liberals have often justified their anti-constitutional ideas using the general welfare clause. Well, take a peek down the road at what happens if we allow this cancel culture to continue. How do you envision the general welfare of the Republic if we keep this up, and divide everything in half with one side being conservatives and the other liberals?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The Equal Rights Amendment changed all of that.
The ERA does not exist as part of the Constitution, it is only still, a proposed amendment. It has not been ratified.
What did I fucking say.
"In fact there's only one amendment in it that restricts private action." And that's the 14th.
Still true.

Your rights to free speech ARE NOT VIOLATED by your boss if he fires you as a consequence of your speech.
Sorry dude, I am not making the rules, I just want one set of rules. A business cannot fire you because you are a Muslim, or a Jew or a Christian
You're pettifogging. None of this is in the Constitution, these are federal laws that were challenged in the courts and were upheld. So, I will address your original point one more time:

Your rights to free speech ARE NOT VIOLATED by your boss if he fires you as a consequence of your speech.

That's very specific. It's not about religion or anything else. Glenn Carano's little daughter has NO case. Her free speech rights were NOT violated by Disney. Period.

In case you are wondering a court in NY ruled that political affiliation is not a protected class so, yes, you can be denied a seat in a restaurant for wearing a MAGA hat. And in fact, the court ruled on that exact example after a bar owner kicked a Trump supporter out of his establishment.
And that's good, and it is perfectly Constitutional.

The Constitution isn't a suicide pact. The fact that you do not understand it is why you're upset about consequences of speech in a private (read, non-government) action.

Do you not see the slippery slope?
The whole thing is a slippery slope, from Day One! What do you think, "A Republic, if you can keep it" means?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
While I agree businesses can do want they want (or can they, are they allowed to not serve people whose skin pigment they dont like?)

The article says:

Actress Gina Carano was swiftly fired from the hit Disney+ series The Mandalorian on Wednesday night after she reshared a post that seemed to suggest having a differing political view in 2021 was similar to being Jewish during the Holocaust.

“Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future,” the production company said in a statement. “Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.”

Then the yahoos who made this decision are so stupid they didn't even understand her point as it had nothing to do with denigrating anyone, especially not jews nor was she. The point should be clear to anyone with half a brain that when you create an environment where it is acceptable to do abhorrent things to individuals who enough people have deemed worthy, then we end up with shit like what jews, gypsies, homosexuals, etc experienced in Nazi, Germany and what slaves experienced in the good ol US of A.

If she was "denigrating" anyone, it was those who try to silence others whose views they don't like or agree with and that could apply to anyone which ultimately is exactly what ironically was done to her, in a way proving her very point.

Of course, being fired isn't the same as going to a concentration camp but people weren't thrown in concentration camps in Nazi, Germany from day 1, it was a slow build up where jews were blamed for the economy, then they had their businesses vandalized which in turn had to hurt their business financially, then they had to wear arm bands, then beaten in the streets, then they were shipped to concentration camps, then the gas chambers.

IMO, censorship is a fertilizer for creating the fertile ground for all manner of injustice and eventually atrocities like what we saw in Germany.

Gawd damn, folks are in such a rush to appear woke and virtue signal that reason and logic seems extinct

Here's a quote from that article:

“The level of cognitive dissonance (CD) is appalling,” another added.

which begs the question, is the person who wrote that guilty of CD or am I?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Then the yahoos who made this decision are so stupid they didn't even understand her point
That, I am certainly not arguing. The point I was addressing is that they didn't fire her based on that share alone, it was a compilation of posts, which she immediately deleted after this one caught fire. Wouldn't surprise me if they never even read the post for context, it was more likely, "Shit, her again. We're getting shitstormed over her, again." A last straw type deal.
which begs the question, is the person who wrote that guilty of CD or am I?
Perfect question for the day so far.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if they never even read the post for context, it was more likely, "Shit, her again. We're getting shitstormed over her, again." A last straw type deal.

No doubt and it wasn't even because what she likely ever said was wrong, outrageous, offensive, etc (it may or may not have been, I just dont believe anyone did their homework with an open mind).

In all likelihood, it was merely the fact a large (or perceived to be large) group claimed she was any or all of the above and the weak willed powers that be didn't have the courage and fortitude to stand on principle but instead gave into the mob

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Gad damned politics have so infiltrated every aspect of life that I think we are going to see this transition to businesses that cater to each extreme where people only watch "conservative" or "liberal" movies, go to "conservative" or "liberal" bars and restaurants, etc, etc.

Gina is an example:

By Christie D’ZurillaStaff Writer
Feb. 12, 2021 Updated 1:49 PM PT
Gina Carano, who exited the Disney+ series “The Mandalorian” and was banned from future “Star Wars” projects, has found a new home at pundit Ben Shapiro’s Daily Wire. The actress will develop and produce her own film at the conservative news outlet, which announced it is branching out into entertainment content.

“This is just the beginning .. welcome to the rebellion,” the actress wrote Friday on social media as she retweeted Shapiro’s tweet promoting the new venture.

“I cried out and my prayer was answered,” Carano told Deadline Friday, praising Daily Wire for making her filmmaking dream come true. “I am sending out a direct message of hope to everyone living in fear of cancellation by the totalitarian mob. I have only just begun using my voice which is now freer than ever before, and I hope it inspires others to do the same.

“They can’t cancel us if we don’t let them.”

“We’re looking forward to taking on the authoritarian Hollywood monolith,” Daily Wire co-founder Shapiro said Friday in a statement to The Times. “It’s no secret that Hollywood is a one-party town, and that dissent is not just discouraged but punished. We’re building the alternative, and we’d just like to thank Disney and Lucasfilm for aiding us in our quest to do so.”

Carano did not respond Friday to a request for comment.

The conservative podcaster and radio host explained the company’s move into entertainment content in an editorial earlier this year.

“Republicans won’t win anybody over by simply disengaging,” Shapiro wrote before saying it was time for conservatives to blow up what he sees as the “Death Star” monopoly liberals have on popular culture. “We need those who aren’t political to engage with a different sort of content: content that is edgy and entertaining and awesome, but that doesn’t actively work to undermine the very values that have made this country exceptional. We need to give people options.

“So Daily Wire will, in 2021, be jumping into the world of entertainment content,” Shapiro continued. “We’re going to be bringing out movies — edgy, entertaining, awesome movies that won’t mock your values. We’re going to be producing TV shows — comedies and dramas that take you seriously, and that don’t take advantage of your viewership to promote Leftist causes.”

Carano — a former MMA fighter — was ousted from “The Mandalorian” and any other Lucasfilm projects after sharing a TikTok video that likened the treatment of Jews during the Holocaust to the treatment of conservatives today. That post has since been deleted.

She has previously been called out for posts that mocked wearing masks amid the COVID-19 pandemic and made fun of the practice of sharing one’s pronouns (which her former “Mandalorian” costar Pedro Pascal does on his Twitter account).

Carano has also claimed voter fraud affected the results of the 2020 presidential election and has shared other conspiracy theories in her posts.

“Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future,” a Lucasfilm representative said in a statement Wednesday. “Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.”

It’s not the first time someone in the Disney sphere has been cut loose over social media concerns. In 2018, the company fired filmmaker James Gunn from “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” after years-old offensive tweets were resurfaced by right-wing commentators in a targeted effort. (The writer-director was later reinstated on the project in 2019.)

Meanwhile, Carano did a podcast Wednesday with the conservative satire site the Babylon Bee. The next day, the outlet posted a story headlined, “Gina Carano Rehired By Disney After She Identifies As An Abusive Male Director.”

Times staff writer Tracy Brown contributed to this report.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The Hypocrisy on the left knows no bounds!

If you think the left and right are playing by the same rules you just haven’t been paying attention

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Then the yahoos who made this decision are so stupid they didn't even understand her point as it had nothing to do with denigrating anyone, especially not jews nor was she.

Great post Yim. How could these people understand any critical point when they don't understand the history she referenced? Corporate America is full of idiots and even the slightest hint of right leaning thought will get you fired. That's just sadly where we're at.

People need to think twice before posting on Twitter or social media in general. Free speech is no longer "free" and while I agree with the idea that the 1st Amendment protects me from the government, it should also protect me from my comments outside my workplace (with some exceptions). If I choose to attend a Trump rally or a protest and don't break the law, I should not find a pink slip on my work desk the following day. But in my company and most of corporate America, I have no doubt that's exactly what would happen. It's strictly designed to keep the masses in check.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you really and truly believe what you're saying, you leave it there. You don't delete it to appease people.

I read the Yahoo article you posted. Can you direct me to a Tweet that should have lead to her firing? Something offensive? I mean, everyone is offended today by something. So if this latest Tweet was the last straw, what were the first, second, third straws...etc.

She's a conservative and people were calling for her head after the latest Tweet without understanding it's context. Snowflakes.....

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you think the left and right are playing by the same rules you just haven’t been paying attention

This is as much of a critique of the Republican Party as it is the Dems. Republicans are weak. They fold, even when holding pocket aces and the Dems raise the stakes holding a 7-2 off suit. Look at how quickly they changed their tune after the riot on 1/6.

They lack all self-awareness and understanding of the issues or the vibe of the country. It's why Liz Chaney will get primaried and (hopefully) lose. And the cowards like Lindsay Graham and Mitch McConnell abandon the electorate the minute they have 6 more years in office and Trump is of no further use to them. I hope I live long enough to see these cowards and those like them challenged in the next election by Republicans with some backbone.

touchdown

Defense Wins Championships
Reaction score
50535412277_2d6d8a9d8e_o.jpg

Top Bottom