touchdown

Defense Wins Championships
Reaction score

For the Dallas area:

Weather permitting, of course, Dallas area residents will be able to view a Total Solar Eclipse of the sun by the moon on Monday, April 8th, 2024, with total eclipse, that lasts about 4 minutes, beginning at 1:40pm CDT.

The beginning of the eclipse (not the total eclipse) begins at 12:23pm, and the end of the eclipse (not the total eclipse) is at 3:02pm.

touchdown

Reaction score
The Phillips Solar Eclipse Glasses 55 – Welding Glass Lenses Shade 14 are welding glasses designed for solar eclipse observation. These glasses have exceptionally dark lenses intended solely for solar eclipse observation or welding. In addition, the Solar Eclipse Glasses 55 Shade 14 block over 99% of UV light and 97% of IR Radiation. ($54.99)

Solar Eclipse Shade 14.jpg

touchdown

Reaction score

touchdown

Reaction score

WHY IS TOTALITY LONGER?

By a cosmic stroke of luck, the moon will make the month’s closest approach to Earth the day before the total solar eclipse. That puts the moon just 223,000 miles (360,000 kilometers) away on eclipse day.

The moon will appear slightly bigger in the sky thanks to that proximity, resulting in an especially long period of sun-blocked darkness.

What’s more, the Earth and moon will be 93 million miles (150 million kilometers) from the sun that day, the average distance.

When a closer moon pairs up with a more distant sun, totality can last as long as an astounding 7 1/2 minutes. The last time the world saw more than seven minutes of totality was in 1973 over Africa. That won’t happen again until 2150 over the Pacific.

HOW DO I SAFELY WATCH THE ECLIPSE?

Sunglasses won’t cut it. Special eclipse glasses are crucial for safely observing the sun as the moon marches across the late morning and afternoon sky, covering more and more and then less and less of our star.

During totality when the sun is completely shrouded, it’s fine to remove your glasses and look with your naked eyes. But before and after, certified eclipse glasses are essential to avoid eye damage. Just make sure they’re not scratched or torn.

Cameras, binoculars and telescopes must be outfitted with special solar filters for safe viewing. Bottom line: Never look at an exposed sun without proper protection any day of the year.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The National Guard is being called up.

touchdown

Reaction score
I suspect that people driving, once the eclipse goes into totality, will pull over, wherever, even if it's on the main roadway. I don't know what kind of chaos that could lead to....if any. Basically, by having the guard on duty, the local Police can be more available for calls about crime, etc.

touchdown

Reaction score
Locals: Be advised to stock up on food and meds, and baby supplies, pet food, and gas up your vehicles ahead of the eclipse. Thousands of visitors may run gas stations dry, and may clean out stores of some food and personal items.

touchdown

Reaction score
I went outside to my porch today, looking South, and noted the position of the sun in the sky, and based on what I saw, there should be no trees or buildings blocking my view of the eclipse on April 8th.

touchdown

Reaction score
Texas places in the center line of Totality April 8, 2024
From a map by Xavier M. Jubier

GARNER STATE PARK
RIO FRIO
LOST MAPLES STATE NATURAL AREA
INGRAM
CRABAPPLE
BUCHANNAN LAKE
PIDCOKE
GATESVILLE
VALLEY MILLS
AQUILLA
AVALON
BARDWELL LAKE
LAKE CLARK
KACHINA PRARIE PARK
OLD LAKE
ENNIS
OAK RIDGE
LAKE TAWAKANI
MILLER GROVE
LAKE SULPHUR SPRINGS
BOGATA
CLARKSVILLE
LANGFORD CLUB LAKE

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Has the world ended yet wherever you guys are?

I'm hiding under my desk right now and need to know.

Top Bottom