Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
what do you fish for and how far out do you go?

It depends on what boat I’m in

If I’m on my kayak then the most I’ve been out is about 10 miles. It all depends on what we are chasing.

If I’m on a regular boat then we go all over. But typically 26 miles out to Catalina Island or the Chanel Islands depending on where we launch from.

As far as species I fish for everything from Halibut, Calico/Sand Bass, Rock Fish, Yellowtail, Tuna, Dorado to different types of Shark.

I’ll pretty much fish for anything

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It depends on what boat I’m in

If I’m on my kayak then the most I’ve been out is about 10 miles. It all depends on what we are chasing.

If I’m on a regular boat then we go all over. But typically 26 miles out to Catalina Island or the Chanel Islands depending on where we launch from.

As far as species I fish for everything from Halibut, Calico/Sand Bass, Rock Fish, Yellowtail, Tuna, Dorado to different types of Shark.

I’ll pretty much fish for anything

nice! Sounds awesome although being 10 miles out in the ocean on a kayak gives me the creeps (I love the ocean but it also gives me the willies)

Are tuna hard to catch? As expensive as seafood has gotten, it really pays to fish out there plus its so fresh, Im envious

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
nice! Sounds awesome although being 10 miles out in the ocean on a kayak gives me the creeps (I love the ocean but it also gives me the willies)

Are tuna hard to catch? As expensive as seafood has gotten, it really pays to fish out there plus its so fresh, Im envious

Feeling wise once you get out about a mile on a kayak it really doesn’t feel much different between 1 or 10 miles. And it’s easy to get out 1 mile without even realizing it if you are chasing a school or paddy hopping

As for Tuna, they aren’t hard to catch, but they can be hard to find off LA. Once you get down into San Diego waters you can find them easier. The further south (closer to Mexico) you get the better all fishing gets.

Fishing in Mexico is insane. It feels like what it must have been like 50-75 years ago in SoCal.

You drop a line and get bit in seconds. When we go to Mexico you pretty much fish as much or catch as many as you want till you get tired or want another beer.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Feeling wise once you get out about a mile on a kayak it really doesn’t feel much different between 1 or 10 miles. And it’s easy to get out 1 mile without even realizing it if you are chasing a school or paddy hopping

As for Tuna, they aren’t hard to catch, but they can be hard to find off LA. Once you get down into San Diego waters you can find them easier. The further south (closer to Mexico) you get the better all fishing gets.

Fishing in Mexico is insane. It feels like what it must have been like 50-75 years ago in SoCal.

You drop a line and get bit in seconds. When we go to Mexico you pretty much fish as much or catch as many as you want till you get tired or want another beer.

man, that sounds fun. I used to be obsessed with fishing, then became a work-a-holic and haven't been in years. Used to go hike Depp into the Colorado mountains, canoe and portage through the boundary waters in Minnesota, all over Wyoming and Montana, Oregon and of course Texas ponds. I also did a deep sea deal in LA years back but I think it was s low budget deal for newbs. Lived in Florida for a summer but never got off the docks and shore

How long does it take you to get back to shore from 10 miles out?

I guess you really have to be on top of the weather when you go that far out, then again I guess it rarely rains

I just envision being that far out and a storm hits and the current and wind are against you and you get stuck at sea

(I've read a lot of stuck at sea books so that probably makes me extra paranoid)

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
man, that sounds fun. I used to be obsessed with fishing, then became a work-a-holic and haven't been in years. Used to go hike Depp into the Colorado mountains, canoe and portage through the boundary waters in Minnesota, all over Wyoming and Montana, Oregon and of course Texas ponds. I also did a deep sea deal in LA years back but I think it was s low budget deal for newbs. Lived in Florida for a summer but never got off the docks and shore

How long does it take you to get back to shore from 10 miles out?

I guess you really have to be on top of the weather when you go that far out, then again I guess it rarely rains

I just envision being that far out and a storm hits and the current and wind are against you and you get stuck at sea

(I've read a lot of stuck at sea books so that probably makes me extra paranoid)

We always go out in pairs and we always wear and constantly monitor marine radios. One of us is always tuned into the weather/coast guard. Trust me, 3 foot swells in a kayak is no fun at all.

Weather is everything!

It’ll get ya killed real easy if you are stupid, and even if ya ain’t

Time wise the 10 mile trips are an all day thing usually. Leave before the sun comes up and we are usually off the water by 2-3pm.

But time to get back from 10 miles out all depends on the wind, current and swell direction and size.

I’ve been less than a mile out and had it take a couple hours to get back because everything was against me. The wind, swell and current were all against me. It felt like I wouldn’t have enough energy to make it back.

Then I’ve had a 5-6 mile trip back where everything is going your way and you practically surf all the way back in.

The worst is when the wind kicks up and creates white caps then the swell is coming from two directions. The white caps crash over your bow and keep you soaked the entire time. Then the swells coming from different directions makes the entire trip feel like you are in a washing machine and not making any progress in the right direction. That’s the worst.

But when the wind is at your back, the swells and current are both in your favor....

Man, that’s beautiful! It makes up for all the other times it wasn’t.

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Gol Dang I love fishin. I've been doing catchn release for the last 40 years. I tell 'em how dumb they are for suckin in a hook then put 'em back in the water. I usedta keep fishin gear in my vehicle at all times. Any chance to drop a hook I was yer huckleberry.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The funny thing is that with all the fishing I do I really don’t even like eating fish. I just do it for the sport. So I release 98% of what I catch. What I do keep I typically give away. The only fish I typically keep for myself to eat is Halibut, Mako and Thresher. I’ll keep most tuna I catch because I know there is always someone that will want that.

When I spear fish that’s totally different. Since I can’t release a fish that I’ve shot then 100% of those fish get gifted to friends and neighbors.

My neighbor used to always run out and help me hookup my boat early in the mornings when I was getting ready for a trip. It would crack me up because he’d be out there in a bathrobe helping me at the crack of dawn. I guess he felt it was down payment on the days fresh catch.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
IMG_0094.JPG
IMG_0107.JPG

Here is a 10lb Calico that I caught off a 12 inch fly-lined live mackerel in the middle of nowhere off a small kelp stringer. That white cutting board is a 18 inch board. So I believe the measuring stick is either a 22 or 24 inch stick.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
My neighbor used to always run out and help me hookup my boat early in the mornings when I was getting ready for a trip. It would crack me up because he’d be out there in a bathrobe helping me at the crack of dawn. I guess he felt it was down payment on the days fresh catch.
Hah-ha. Love this and can even visualize it.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yim, btw....
If you look at the picture above you can barely see that thin dark line above the water line. That is the California Coastline off in the distance. Not sure how far out we were that day, but it wasn't even that far.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Calico.png

For comparisons sake, this is a pic of a typical CA sand bass. The usual size of both sand bass and calico bass that we typically catch is in the 1-2lb range. The 10 pounder pictured above was caught on a live bait that was about this size.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
View attachment 8291

For comparisons sake, this is a pic of a typical CA sand bass. The usual size of both sand bass and calico bass that we typically catch is in the 1-2lb range. The 10 pounder pictured above was caught on a live bait that was about this size.
Rockford would catch himself a few of those for dinner for him and his dad.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
IMG_1942.PNG

Since I referenced fishing in Mexico earlier I figured I would include this pic. This is after about 30-45 minutes of fishing in one singe spot off the coast of Baja CA. We would drop a set down with 3 dropper loops on it and bring up 2-3 Lingcod on the line at the same time every time. Then you would bait up again, drop down and do it all over again. It got to a point where you had to stop because your forearms just kept burning so you would have to stop and rest. Either that or the tax man (GWS) would show up and we would have to move to another spot so we wouldnt lose all our catch.

And in case anyone was wondering, yes they do have limits in Mexico. And no, no one seems to give a shit about them. So we came back with 4 large ice chests full of filleted fish after 4 hours for just 4 guys. We had to use large snow shovels to offload the catch. It felt more like a job than a pleasure trip. But it was still fun as hell.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
We always go out in pairs and we always wear and constantly monitor marine radios. One of us is always tuned into the weather/coast guard. Trust me, 3 foot swells in a kayak is no fun at all.

Weather is everything!

It’ll get ya killed real easy if you are stupid, and even if ya ain’t

Time wise the 10 mile trips are an all day thing usually. Leave before the sun comes up and we are usually off the water by 2-3pm.

But time to get back from 10 miles out all depends on the wind, current and swell direction and size.

I’ve been less than a mile out and had it take a couple hours to get back because everything was against me. The wind, swell and current were all against me. It felt like I wouldn’t have enough energy to make it back.

Then I’ve had a 5-6 mile trip back where everything is going your way and you practically surf all the way back in.

The worst is when the wind kicks up and creates white caps then the swell is coming from two directions. The white caps crash over your bow and keep you soaked the entire time. Then the swells coming from different directions makes the entire trip feel like you are in a washing machine and not making any progress in the right direction. That’s the worst.

But when the wind is at your back, the swells and current are both in your favor....

Man, that’s beautiful! It makes up for all the other times it wasn’t.

good stuff, ever had any big sharks give you a scare or take your catch?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The funny thing is that with all the fishing I do I really don’t even like eating fish. I just do it for the sport. So I release 98% of what I catch. What I do keep I typically give away. The only fish I typically keep for myself to eat is Halibut, Mako and Thresher. I’ll keep most tuna I catch because I know there is always someone that will want that.

When I spear fish that’s totally different. Since I can’t release a fish that I’ve shot then 100% of those fish get gifted to friends and neighbors.

damn, wish I Was your neighbor, tuna and Halibut are expensive!

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yim, btw....
If you look at the picture above you can barely see that thin dark line above the water line. That is the California Coastline off in the distance. Not sure how far out we were that day, but it wasn't even that far.

Sheesh! I have a love/scare relationship with the ocean, its beautiful and fun but also dangerous and when its that deep dark blue like off Carmel, Santa Cruz & the Oregon coast, its both beautiful and scary.

I would really enjoy kayaking and have wanted to do a kayak trip off the Seattle coast where you can fish, kayak among whales and then camp out on the islands

hope you'll keep posting more reports and pics from your trips

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
good stuff, ever had any big sharks give you a scare or take your catch?

In Mexico yes

Great Whites are common and will grab your catch if you don’t get it in the boat quick enough. That’s why they call him the tax man

And once he shows up it’s time to leave, because he will just sit there and take bites out of everything you try to bring up.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Sheesh! I have a love/scare relationship with the ocean, its beautiful and fun but also dangerous and when its that deep dark blue like off Carmel, Santa Cruz & the Oregon coast, its both beautiful and scary.

I would really enjoy kayaking and have wanted to do a kayak trip off the Seattle coast where you can fish, kayak among whales and then camp out on the islands

hope you'll keep posting more reports and pics from your trips

Speaking of whales, I had one surface 20 feet from me. The surfacing caused a wake that nearly rolled me. Never really got to see enough of him to determine what species it was. I was looking in the opposite direction and didn’t know he was there till I heard his blow hole. Then he was gone by the time I turned my head. I turned just in time to see the roller coming my way and to adjust and keep from tipping over.

Top Bottom