63echo

Reaction score
Josh Ellis
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

ARLINGTON, Texas – Rob Ryan deploys lots of exotic formations and personnel groupings on his defensive front, but moving Igor Olshansky from first-team end on the right side to playing behind Kenyon Coleman on the left is not smoke and mirrors.

Olshansky, the 2009 free agent signing who has started for the Cowboys the last two years, has lost his first-team job.

"To me it doesn't matter who's starting and who's not starting," Olshansky said. "I'm here to help the team and become a better football player . . . In this scheme the left side basically is where they're going to run the ball primarily. It's where they're going to line up the tight end, and that's where they're going to run. So you want your really good run stopper on that left side, and you don't have to move as much on that left side.

"Kenyon does a great job, so I'm looking forward to learning a lot from him."

Since the beginning of training camp, coaches have tried Olshansky in a number of different places, including right end, where he started in the preseason opener, plus nose tackle and as an inside rusher in nickel situations. Coleman, who played for Ryan the last two years in Cleveland, had run with the backups until Monday.

Since converting to the 3-4 defense as their primary set in 2005, the Cowboys have typically kept six defensive linemen – four ends and two nose tackles. Last year they kept five ends, though.

"We need all these guys," defensive line coach Brian Baker said. "There are going to be some games, because of matchups, it could be the guys starting today and then the backups will be starting next week. The thing I want them to do is get comfortable playing with each other. That's why you're seeing so many different combinations . . . I think I've got five ends that I know we can win with."

With the shuffle, Marcus Spears has moved to first-team right end and is backed up by Jason Hatcher. Baker's fifth end, the same as in 2010, would likely be Sean Lissemore, who has flashed potential.

If the Cowboys are comfortable with Lissemore playing a larger role, Olshansky may be a luxury as a regular backup. On a team as salary cap-strapped as the Cowboys, one in need of creating financial wiggle room for next year, his $3.5 million base salary for 2011 and $4.2 million for 2012 could be viewed as expendable.

The seven-year veteran understands the business side of the NFL, and that his place may not be as secure as it has in the past.

"If it happens, it happens," Olshansky said. "I'm going to go out there and do my best. Whatever is in God's plan, then I'll just move forward and take it. It's not my decision to make. It's my job to come out here and play, and if God chooses for me to go somewhere else, then I'll go somewhere else. It won't be the first (time) or the last."

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
$3.5 million as a backup...

Any chance in hell stays on the roster?

Doubt it. We should trade him for whatever we can get...

I like cmd34's idea of trading him for Taylor Mays.

It would be a lot like the Barron for Carp trade. Neither team really wins but it gives both teams another option.

Also, I'd love to see Mays in Rob Ryan's sub packages..

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Taylor Mays could be awesome with the right coach. I don't fall into the "He's a hitter and the NFL doesn't use those anymore!!" Bandwagon.

63echo

Reaction score
Not knowing the financials, trading for Mays would be agreeable. He couldn't possibly be more useless than Olshansky at this point.

Reaction score
it may be hard to wrangle a trade, seeing as how we have already demoted him. Teams will be patient, wait and see if Dallas just cuts him.

C

Cr122

Olshansky=Wade

Coleman=Ryan

Odd man out Olshansky.

Coleman>Olshansky.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
it may be hard to wrangle a trade, seeing as how we have already demoted him. Teams will be patient, wait and see if Dallas just cuts him.

People say that a lot and there is some truth to that but if you want a player, you trade for him. You can't risk teams with a higher waiver priority snatching a player you want and could have had for a song.

Washington was going to cut Haynesworth and McNabb but New England and Washington couldn't risk the waiver system so they got them for almost nothing (lower round draft choices).

JPM

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Not knowing the financials, trading for Mays would be agreeable. He couldn't possibly be more useless than Olshansky at this point.
Cowboy fans complained about Roy Williams but Mays is even worse.

Reaction score
Denver just lost two Dlineman yesterday, according to NFL Networks bottomline. Maybe we could trade him to them for a 6th rounder.

VAcowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Denver is moving to a four-man front. Doubt they'd want anything to do with a washed up 3-4 DE.

Garrett may cut Olshansky, but I dunno. That'd be another 2+ mil dead money in 2012.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
How do you figure?

Randy Moss was claimed off waivers last year.

Hell, Deion Sanders was claimed off waivers by San Diego way back when Washington waived him. They did that to prevent the Raiders from getting him. He chose to retire rather than report to San Diego.

Reaction score
According to the collective bargaining agreement, if any waiver of a veteran player who has completed the season that gives him four years of service occurs between February 1 and the trading deadline in mid October, then that player shall be considered an unrestricted free agent by termination of his contract

Thats a confusing way to put it but I do remember Moss being claimed so what the fuck do I know.

Reaction score
Oh ye derp. Mossed was released after the trade deadline.

So igor won't be eligible for waivers and will absolutely be released

Top Bottom