Reaction score
I was thinking as a continuous updating kind of thing. But Broaddus keeps us swimming in Spagnola bliss with reports about novelties in the offense that he thinks will continue. We saw some Linehan stuff last year in preseason which never showed up again. I think that once the games are close or intense, the offense reverts to the basic 4 plays (Romos 60 minute 2:00 drill that he used almost exclusively during the season where he had 648 pass attempts). It's human nature to regress during stress and anxiety.

But anyway, the other day, Broaddus pointed out how Linehan used integrated pass routes to set free TWilly.

Today's Copernican finding is this:

I have come to the realization that the more you put Dez Bryant on the move, the better chance you have for an explosive play. By giving Bryant a running start, you are putting the coverage at a huge disadvantage. It happened again during the 7-on-7 period when Bryant motioned across the field, left to right, creating a “bunch” formation to that side. On the snap, he sprinted inside back to the left, leaving Orlando Scandrick in a trailing position. Even with his speed, Scandrick could not keep up with Bryant across the field, making it an easy pitch and catch for Dak Prescott to get him the ball. I would expect that we will see further adjustments in this offensive scheme to keep putting Dez Bryant on the move.

Elliot not practicing today.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Broaddus said:
have come to the realization that the more you put Dez Bryant on the move, the better chance you have for an explosive play.
Well no shat. Most fans have been calling for this for years. Sparano did it with TO all the time.

I guess this is why Broaddus was such a crack scout.

And the bunch formation is definitely another non-Garrett move. Good on Linehan, I guess.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Well no shat. Most fans have been calling for this for years. Sparano did it with TO all the time.
Same thing with Irvin back in the day - they moved him around all the time. It's not any "innovation" at all, it's basic stuff most all teams at all levels, do. Except for Dallas that is.

Reaction score
Damn our offensive guru HC is so innovative it only took him 10 years to figure out to use motion with an explosive WR... maybe. We'll see if he uses it in the season, or if he sticks with motioning Witten.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

I guess this is why Broaddus was such a crack scout.

And the bunch formation is definitely another non-Garrett move. Good on Linehan, I guess.

Preach! Me and my buddies talk about this all the time. The Falcons do a great job of moving Julio Jones around and have absolutely no idea the Cowboys haven't been doing the same thing with Dez. We've literally been saying this since Dez's rookie year.

Reaction score
Garrett was and is just clueless. He just didn't have remedies for plays that were not working so he preaches "beating the player across from you". Well if the player is bigger or faster or knows the route you are running just as much as you do then chances are you will be covered...unless there is someone to distract or filter or naturally pick the coverage.

And I'm still furious about Eagan. I can understand cutting a beneficial prospect for someone on the D-line or a developmental QB. But just some random OL that is a team strength anyway is just moronic.

Top Bottom