Sal Monella

Man among boys
Reaction score
13399413.jpg

Former Dallas Cowboys star Terrell Owens made some eyebrow-raising comments about Tom Brady and Dak Prescott in a radio appearance.

Put simply, Owens believes the Cowboys need to sign Brady in free agency because he thinks team owner Jerry Jones isn’t sold on Prescott.

“They have a quarterback that’s a free agent in Tom Brady,” Owens said in an appearance with 95.7 The Game “That’s the next move.”

Owens said the reason he believes Jones isn’t sold on Prescott because of the contract situation going on between the quarterback and the Cowboys.

“He hasn’t extended Dak’s contract,” Owens said of Jerry Jones. “So, that leads me to believe he truly doesn’t believe in Dak. If he had, then I think he would have already got a contract extension.”

It’s worth pointing out that reports indicate Prescott will be secured via the franchise tag this offseason while he and the Cowboys continue to try and pound out a long-term extension. That being said, given the other options out there this coming spring in free agency, one wonders if the Cowboys could potentially be looking elsewhere.

Prescott is clearly a rising star, and the Cowboys have never given any indication they’re interested in courting other quarterbacks. This past season, the quarterback was not the reason Dallas missed the playoffs, and it seems like new head coach Mike McCarthy would rather develop Prescott than bring in a grizzled veteran at the end of his career.

That being said, Brady is by no means a sure bet to return to the Patriots in 2020, and he’s already made it clear he wants to keep playing. So anything is possible.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You don't bring in Brady unless Belicek comes with him.
I was thinking this... We have no proof really that Brady can work, outside the bubble of the Patriots system.

But, to the story above - there is NO way Jerruh isn't all-in on Dak. Just, no. He thinks he has the next Aikman.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
TO continues to be a fucktard.

If the Cowboys didn't believe in Dak they wouldn't have offered him any type of contract extension. By all accounts they have made Dak offers in excess of 30 million per year. The hang-up reportedly hasn't been the amount per yr, it's the number of years. Dak's people want a 3-4 yr deal so they could potentially cash in again, the Cowboys have reportedly been wanting him to sign for 6 or 7 yrs.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
It would be cruel to make him work with a bum like Cooper. Besides, he'd have to wear a different uni #.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I was thinking this... We have no proof really that Brady can work, outside the bubble of the Patriots system.

But, to the story above - there is NO way Jerruh isn't all-in on Dak. Just, no. He thinks he has the next Aikman.

Yeah, there's a reason Brady has been in 9 Super Bowls and the rest of the elite QBs have been in 1 or 2. Their system, their coach.

I'm a little hesitant to say they are all in on Dak. If they tag him this season, do we still think they are all in? If his name was Patrick Mahomes, would he still not have a contract? He paid Tank and Zeke a ridiculous amount of money, why is he hesitating with Dak? Could be because QBs don't hold out giving them more time and wishful thinking on my part.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yeah, there's a reason Brady has been in 9 Super Bowls and the rest of the elite QBs have been in 1 or 2. Their system, their coach.

I'm a little hesitant to say they are all in on Dak. If they tag him this season, do we still think they are all in? If his name was Patrick Mahomes, would he still not have a contract? He paid Tank and Zeke a ridiculous amount of money, why is he hesitating with Dak? Could be because QBs don't hold out giving them more time and wishful thinking on my part.
He didn't hesitate. He made Dak an offer. Dak turned it down.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Whether he has the next Aikman or not, we all deserve to see what Dak can do under some sound coaching.

Sal Monella

Man among boys
Reaction score
Stephen Jones: Cowboys all-in on Dak Prescott, Tom Brady "not even a thought."

13851077.jpg

The Dallas Cowboys enter the offseason with quarterback Dak Prescott set to enter free agency, and there are rumblings that Tom Brady may be the answer.

Speaking about Prescott on 103.3 FM ESPN Friday, Jones made it clear (via Jon Machota of The Athletic) that Dallas wants to re-sign both Prescott and Amari Cooper (also a free agent) but that, “We’ve got to land the plane and it starts with Dak. He’s the leader of this team. He’s got the ‘it’ factor.”

Even more forcefully, Jones then threw cold water on any Brady-to-Dallas talk: “Not even a thought. We’re so, so all in on Dak. [Mike McCarthy] is so all-in on Dak. He’s so convicted that [Dak’s] the guy that can help us win championships. He’s putting together a great staff to support him.”

Prescott is coming off the best season of his young career, by far. He completed 65.1% of his passes for 4,902 yards with 30 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. Unfortunately for him and the ‘Boys, the season was defined by poor discipline and awful in-game decision making by former head coach Jason Garrett.

Now, with Mike McCarthy leading the charge, Prescott has a chance to take yet another positive step in his development in 2020. The only thing that’s up in the air at this point is how much he’ll make doing it. At the least, Dallas will use the franchise tag to secure him. But if a long-term deal is finally struck, it will set records and potentially even eclipse $40 million per year on average.

Sal Monella

Man among boys
Reaction score
Cowboys were "real real close" to a deal with Dak this last offseason.

gettyimages-1176562979-e1569257387619.jpg

Getty Images

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones is convinced Dak Prescott is the team’s quarterback of the present and the future. So is Mike McCarthy.

Of course, if McCarthy wasn’t, he probably wouldn’t be the Cowboys’ new coach.

Jones jokingly was asked Friday afternoon on 103.3 ESPN Radio about calling Tom Brady, who is scheduled to become a free agent in the offseason: “Not even a thought. We’re so, so all in on Dak. [McCarthy] is so all in on Dak. He’s so convicted that [Dak’s] the guy that can help us win championships. He’s putting together a great staff to support him.”

McCarthy has coached Joe Montana, Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers in his career.

He called Prescott “a great one here to work with.”

For what it was worth, Prescott threw for a career-high 4,902 yards and 30 touchdowns in 2019. It also was the first time in his four seasons the Cowboys didn’t finish with a winning record, going 8-8.

“I’m excited about the opportunity to work with Dak,” McCarthy said during his introductory press conference. “I think what he’s done so far is very impressive. I think like a lot of us in the league, you watch people from afar. But when you have a chance to watch a player live, and I can recall his rookie year when we played him there in Green Bay, I’ve always been impressed with him.”

Prescott, 26, is scheduled to become a free agent in March. The Cowboys surely will use the franchise tag on Prescott if they can’t get a long-term deal done before then.

Jones revealed on 1310 The Ticket that Dallas got “real, real, real close” to getting a deal before the season.

“We’ve got to land the plane and get his deal done,” Jones said on the radio, via Jon Machota of TheAthletic.com. “That’s on Jerry and myself. He’s our future. I think he stepped up and improved in all ways last year. . . . We went over this in depth with coach McCarthy, and he thinks [Prescott] is a top-end, top-caliber quarterback. We can do everything we want to do and more with Dak. [McCarthy] can’t wait to spend time with him. We’ve got to land the plane on his contract and get him signed up sooner than later. He deserves everything he has coming.

“We got real, real, real close there to start the season and just didn’t get it finished up. He’s so laser-focused on wanting to win football games and compete that he really didn’t want the distraction once we didn’t get it done in that first week of going back and forth with the contract. We’ve just got to move forward. He’s our quarterback of the future. I’ll take him any time when you go to war against those guys. We’re fortunate to have him.”

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We're doomed....I and I'll never understand comments like these when you're negotiation. You're not "all in" on Dak or you would have signed him already. Maybe it's their way to make Dak feel better before he gets franchised.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I still think many people continue to confuse "doesn't have a new contract" for "they don't really want him"

This isn't true according to numerous reports, they've made him legit new deal offers. The hang-up reportedly hasn't been the money per yr, but the number of years of the contract.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I had this debate with this one guy. He asked me who was the better QB and would rather have between Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Without hesitation, I said Manning. He of course made the typical and intellectually lazy "more rings" argument in favor of Brady. I replied that Eli Manning has more rings than Dan Marino, and would you take him over Marino? I explained that Brady is in a system --- and a damn good one at that; whereas Peyton Manning IS the system. In Peyton Manning, you basically have an OC on the field. The only way I'll take Brady over Manning is if Belicek is part of the deal.

Peyton Manning is probably the only QB that could overcome Garret's incompetence; because he'd fucking ignore Garret.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I still think many people continue to confuse "doesn't have a new contract" for "they don't really want him"

This isn't true according to numerous reports, they've made him legit new deal offers. The hang-up reportedly hasn't been the money per yr, but the number of years of the contract.

That's why I said I was hesitant. Sometimes my hopes can cloud my judgement. And that's ok because I can be wrong and it doesn't matter. But when they cloud Jerry's, that's a problem.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I had this debate with this one guy. He asked me who was the better QB and would rather have between Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Without hesitation, I said Manning. He of course made the typical and intellectually lazy "more rings" argument in favor of Brady. I replied that Eli Manning has more rings than Dan Marino, and would you take him over Marino? I explained that Brady is in a system --- and a damn good one at that; whereas Peyton Manning IS the system. In Peyton Manning, you basically have an OC on the field. The only way I'll take Brady over Manning is if Belicek is part of the deal.

Peyton Manning is probably the only QB that could overcome Garret's incompetence; because he'd fucking ignore Garret.

There was an interview I listened to years ago with Larry Lacewell talking about how he was trying to talk Jerry and his cronies into giving up their entire draft so they could move up and draft Payton. He said they laughed him out of the room...sounds about right

I had the link to the audio saved but the damn site went down (Here's the link if anyone out there can figure out how to resurrect the clip: http://thedallascowboyshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Larry_Lacewell-1344287216.mp3 ).

I gotta start recording copies of all this old stuff as you cant rely on sites to keep content long term. I've lost 2 great interviews with Jerry Jones by Jim Rome as well as a good one with Charlie Rose from the early 90's. I'm kicking myself for not making copies.

Top Bottom