Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Certain positions yeah. RB, no.

The OL and the rest of the skill players are so good that they can definitely get by with far less than great guys at RB.

I actually have little doubt that if Randle and/or McFadden struggle/screw up/get hurt etc etc that they'll make a move for another RB.
I stand corrected. I forgot we can always just plug Hershel Walker in, behind this line we have. (YukYuk)

Make a move for what RB? Ray Rice?

Reaction score
Certain positions yeah. RB, no.

The OL and the rest of the skill players are so good that they can definitely get by with far less than great guys at RB.

I actually have little doubt that if Randle and/or McFadden struggle/screw up/get hurt etc etc that they'll make a move for another RB.

I don't really disagree with you. I'm sure that the team can get by with less at RB. It'd put more pressure on Romo, but he can probably handle it so long as the offense (and play-calling) doesn't morph back into what it was 3 or 4 years ago.

At the same time, the running game could be devastatingly strong with a truly high caliber RB. As a fan, I'd really enjoy seeing that happen. The team would be better too.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I don't really disagree with you. I'm sure that the team can get by with less at RB. It'd put more pressure on Romo, but he can probably handle it so long as the offense (and play-calling) doesn't morph back into what it was 3 or 4 years ago.
You've seen the future and it will be.....

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Gus Johnson? Fox Sports Daily reports that Johnson had a well documented disappointing 40 yard dash time that was improved with a 4.62/40 ???? Then there was this gem: "These numbers are not considered strong, but keep in kind that many analysts are coming to the notion that the 40-yard dash is an overrated measurement of running backs."

Except that DeMarco Murray was considered not a necessary home run threat with a 4.41/40.

And then there is this:
Breaking Down the ‘Boys: Why Cowboys Are in Big Trouble with Joseph Randle | | Dallas Morning News

One of the most noteworthy quote is this:

I can see how the 40-time is overrated for RBs, especially when considering we had Emmitt Smith, who was not particularly fast. But the thing is, running a 40 time at the combine in shorts, as opposed to running on the field during a game while being chased and carrying x-amount of pounds of football equipment. It is not unusual that Player A has a faster in shorts-combine 40-time than Player B, but then when the pads are on, Player B is actually faster.

Randal from purely and eye-test, appears to be faster and has better vision than Murray. And it's not like everytime Murray got the ball he was running at 4.41 speed.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It is not unusual that Player A has a faster in shorts-combine 40-time than Player B, but then when the pads are on, Player B is actually faster.
Yep "game speed." And some players have this and some don't. Some just for whatever reason can't really get into that afterburner when all they're doing is racing the clock, but give them the ball in a game and have 11 enemies chasing them, and they demolish their clocked time, every time. Adrenaline is a great motivator. But then there's those who have only one speed, the one you clocked them at.

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Speed and even doesn't mean a whole lot in the 4th quarter when a RB is working around his 20th to 25th carry.

Its generally agreed that Randke has great vision and speed but it's consistancy and stamina that will run down the clock in the 4th quarter if a close game. Without that, its Romo throwing the ball and the clock slowing down in the opponent's favor.

There is nothing about Randle that indicates his frame can take the physical punishment of 20+:carries game in and game out.

There is RB by committee but what big gut can the Cowboys rely on late in a game? I still say our RB isn't in the roster yet and some rookie free agent has a golden opportunity if they take advantage of it.

Reaction score
Im really surprised there has not been any talk about either one of them being considered, let alone invited for a visit to VR.

:shrug

They are old washed up running backs. The Cowboys believe Randle is the next great thing.

Did anyone actually watch Chris Johnson last season? The guy is shit.

Reaction score
Maybe... but if so, what is McFadden? Both running like shit... the Jets line isn't some revelation. At least Johnson stays healthy.

I picked up Johnson on my fantasy team last year. Guy did nothing for me. The Jets did try to run the ball, although not very successfully.

All these washed up guys remind me when the Cowboys picked up Eddie George. Big name but they don’t have anything left in the tank. I do think McFadden is interesting because i think he still has something left. He missed so many games, his body hasn’t taken the beating that some of the other players have. I also think his style fits with what the Cowboys do on the O-line. If McFadden is out for the season, sure you have to pickup one these washed up running backs.

I think the Cowboys need another running back like a Nile Davis. A younger guy that can be a solid backup and play special teams. That is what i think is missing.

Reaction score
I was intrigued by a possible McFadden rebirth, until I realized just how scrawny his legs are. He makes Aveion Cason look fat.

I mean, if the OL is just utterly mauling people and opening gaping holes then McFadden can exploit that. Can't see him breaking many tackles though.

Reaction score
The Cowboys likely will keep four running backs on their roster.

It seems likely that one of the four backs will be a fullback.

If you listen to Garrett, every indication is that Dunbar is a lock to make the final roster.

That leaves Randle and McFadden. It doesn't seem likely that Randle will get cut. He's cheap, knows the offense, and has shown some promise. I don't see the Cowboys cutting McFadden for having a lingering hamstring.

The way things are shaping up, it isn't going to be easy for the Cowboys to find room for another RB.

Reaction score
Any word on this guy signing anywhere or any interest in him?

Kinda makes that 11 teams wanted to sign him last year rumor seem like BS, eh?

Top Bottom