Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Now Mike Ditka has weighed in.

Mike Ditka on Redskins controversy: ‘It's all the political correct idiots in America’ | For The Win

Iron Mike said:
“What’s all the stink over the Redskin name? It’s so much [expletive] it’s incredible. We’re going to let the liberals of the world run this world. It was said out of reverence, out of pride to the American Indian. Even though it was called a Redskin, what are you going to call them, a Brownskin? This is so stupid it’s appalling, and I hope that owner keeps fighting for it and never changes it, because the Redskins are part of an American football history, and it should never be anything but the Washington Redskins. That’s the way it is.”

“It’s all the political correct idiots in America, that’s all it is. It’s got nothing to do with anything else. We’re going to change something because we can. Hey listen, I went through it in the 60s, too. I mean, come on. Everybody lined up, did this. It’s fine to protest. That’s your right, if you don’t like it, protest. You have a right to do that, but to change the name, that’s ridiculous. Change the Constitution — we’ve got people trying to do that, too, and they’re doing a pretty good job.”

Reaction score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/mike-carey-longtime-nfl-referee-avoided-washingtons-games-because-of-the-name/2014/08/20/d6dae602-27b2-11e4-86ca-6f03cbd15c1a_story.html

Mike Carey, ex-NFL ref, didn't work a Washington game for the past 8 years. He requested not to be assigned to their games because he didn't want to be associated with them...

“I’ve called them Washington all my life,” he said, when finally asked. “And I will continue to call them Washington.”

“It just became clear to me that to be in the middle of the field, where something disrespectful is happening, was probably not the best thing for me,” Carey said.

Said Carey, “I know that if a team had a derogatory name for African Americans, I would help those who helped extinguish that name. I have quite a few friends who are Native Americans. And even if I didn’t have Native American friends, the name of the team is disrespectful.”

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
So, the redskins have been around since 1932, and NOW the name is offensive? Ok.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
They also had negro leagues in 1932.

They have a blacks only Miss America beauty contest now and a Black history month. It seems the blacks liked doing their own thing. Where's my history month?

Reaction score
They have a blacks only Miss America beauty contest now and a Black history month. It seems the blacks liked doing their own thing. Where's my history month?
No one's stopping you from starting a redneck history month. Go for it.

A culture doing things to try to celebrate themselves and their history is a completely different thing than preventing certain people from participating in professional sports leagues because of the color of their skin.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
There's also a McDonald's website just for blacks. If there was one for just whites, it'd be considered racist.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
There's also a McDonald's website just for blacks. If there was one for just whites, it'd be considered racist.

Try floating the ideal of a white history month and watch the minorities explode. Whites can't have events just for white people. That is racist.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Whites can't have events just for white people.

AcademyofCountryMusicAwards.jpg

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Not "just for white people." Neither is NASCAR. The fact that few blacks participate in either doesn't mean it is closed to them. Same with swimming, and some other sports.

But, you already knew that.

Top Bottom