touchdown

Defense Wins Championships
Reaction score

A prop firearm discharged by veteran actor Alec Baldwin, who is producing and starring in a Western movie, killed his director of photography and injured the director Thursday at the movie set outside Santa Fe, authorities said.

Santa Fe County Sheriff’s officials said Halyna Hutchins, director of photography for the movie “Rust,” and director Joel Souza were shot.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's some reporting that the gun was "hot" and contained a real bullet. If that's the case, how did that happen? And why point a loaded by, even with suspected blanks? Another sad shit show that turned tragic.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
There's some reporting that the gun was "hot" and contained a real bullet. If that's the case, how did that happen? And why point a loaded by, even with suspected blanks? Another sad shit show that turned tragic.
THE question no one has asked yet is, why was he pointing a firearm, loaded or not, at his director and director of photography in the first place? AND pulling the trigger? The gun shouldn't even be in his hands unless filming is taking place, and then do you point the gun at people who are off-camera? Ever?

You and I are firearms trained, and for me this is ringing some alarm bells.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
THE question no one has asked yet is, why was he pointing a firearm, loaded or not, at his director and director of photography in the first place? AND pulling the trigger? The gun shouldn't even be in his hands unless filming is taking place, and then do you point the gun at people who are off-camera? Ever?

right? Very strange...

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Very poor firearm safety, I agree. I though maybe they were either shooting a scene or practicing a scene.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Very poor firearm safety, I agree. I though maybe they were either shooting a scene or practicing a scene.
When they rehearse or practice, its just a finger gun. Procedure. Gun not in hand at all until we're filming the scene. That's what's so bizarre.

Sounds to me like he was just pranking or playing with the gun.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score

I'm just guessing but if the scene called for a point of view from the potential gunshot victim, Baldwin would have to point the gun directly at the camera. "Staring down the barrel" is a way over-used set up.

Stanley Kubrick (Director In front) Jon Alcott (Director of Photography behind). It’s probably not uncommon to see this on sets.
Bullet goes through Director, hits DOP behind him.

rs-180960-2628429.jpg

touchdown

Reaction score
Rumors swirl.

One says that a member of the crew had used the prop gun for target practice.

Creeper

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Maybe they should have had an NRA safety instructor on the set. But as we know, liberals know nothing about what the NRA actually does.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
with special effects and editing so advanced, I dont see why they ever need a gun on set that could even shoot a bullet

touchdown

Reaction score
Criminal charges ARE on the table in Alec Baldwin shooting case, say prosecutors - as it emerges crew were using actor's gun to shoot cans with live ammo just HOURS before tragic death on set

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This was just a shitstorm waiting to happen.

No gun safety procedures followed by Baldwin. Anyone trained to use a firearm knows the first rule of FA safety is to never cover or point the gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.

Apparently he was practicing his quick draw between scenes, and quick drawing on other people (clearly)

The armorer on set was inexperienced and had prior complaints from other productions about her lack of safety procedures. Now Nick Cage is coming out to complain about how he almost went deaf from her incompetence.

The armorer herself (a 20 something libtard chick by the looks of it) has stated that she didn’t feel she was qualified/ready for the job

Actual live ammo allowed anywhere near an active set

Actual ammo used by workers on the film for “target practice”

The actual gun from the film being allowed to be used along with real ammo for target practice by the film crew/staff earlier in the day

This was taken from a CNN article
“They go out into the rural areas and they shoot at beer cans. This is with live ammunition. We learned that this happened the morning of the day that Halyna Hutchins was killed," Waxman said.
Waxman told CNN "plinking" is common when there's downtime during a shoot.

If any one of these actions were handled correctly then this accidental shooting would not have happened.

Practicing a quick draw has caused numerous accidents. Hell, my local range no longer allows the practice at their indoor range because a dumb ass sheriff deputy shot himself in the thigh while practicing his draw. So now none of us can draw from our holsters for practice at this range. All because a cop screwed up and shot himself.

Last edited:

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The following article was copied from Louder with Crowder

Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, the armorer from the movie Rust has had her name in the news. As an armorer, when an actor accidentally shoots someone dead with what was supposed to be a prop, how closely you followed OSHA standards is going to come up. So far, articles have been about her utter inexperience as an armorer and the snazzy dance skills she showed off before deleting her social media. Gutierrez-Reed has broken her silence in the matter. Well, her attorneys broke her silence on her behalf.

Her attorneys issued a statement (via Fox News). Some notes:

"Safety is Hannah's number one priority on set."

That is not clear from the (alleged) incident in her first movie with Nicholas Cage. She's reported to have given an unchecked gun to an eleven-year-old, and Cage flipped out on her when she fired a gun without warning people. I get everyone on Rust is trying to cover their ass. Just saying, though.

"Ultimately this set would never have been compromised if live ammo were not introduced. Hannah has no idea where the live rounds came from."

Understatement of the year.

"Hannah was hired on two positions on this film, which made it extremely difficult to focus on her job as an armorer."

"She fought for training, days to maintain weapons and proper time to prepare for gunfire but ultimately was overruled by production and her department."

We'll find out what's true or not after an investigation. Right now, everyone involved is saying they aren't the one to blame. Everyone by this point has their own attorneys issuing statements about how their clients aren't the ones to blame. At this point, it's anyone's guess who is at fault. Other than Alec Baldwin who a) was the producer and therefore the boss, and b) killed someone.

However, it needs to be reported over and over again. If Hollywood spent less time attacking gun-rights activists and more time taking their safety training classes, a cinematographer would be alive right now.

Top Bottom