Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
This is something I have wanted to do for a while but it's too fucking time consuming, generally. Look at every play and evaluate each OL based on how they did individually without regard to how the play ended. Did you do your job or did you fuck up but nobody really noticed because someone else fucked up worse. People called the sack on the first play Free and Parnell's fault but that looks like bullshit to me. That was a case of not identifying that extra blitzer by someone in the backfield and it really wouldn't have mattered because Mack was so fucking beaten that his guy literally got to Romo at the same time the unblocked blitzing linebacker did. Mack doesn't get a pass because someone came free on the other side, in fact I think his fuckup is worse.

Anyway I got through the first half and no shocker, Tyron is the best OL Dallas has. He routinely stopped Johnson and even the times where Johnson may have had a step around the outside, Tyron was able to push him beyond the pocket. My only complaint watching the guy is that either by scheme or fault of his own they left Michael Johnson unblocked to pursue the play from the backside on about 5 occasions. One time Tyron turned back and stopped him dead but there were 3 or 4 others where Johnson made the play when he started on the opposite side of the field. I don't know if that was how it was drawn up. If it is, that's a fucking huge problem of not knowing who you are playing. If it's on Tyron who was trying to get to the second level on the backside of the play, then someone needs to tell him to stop the athletic DE who can track down a RB from behind.

Frederick was 2nd best and I am actually impressed. He played well for the most part and handled twists very well.

Parnell played well, generally speaking but had some plays where he really looked bad. There weren't necessarily that many but the ones that were there were pretty bad.

Free was closely behind him and did better than I would have expected. I didn't think he had done that well because he had some really ugly plays as well where he was on the ground or just doing nothing but running by people but on the whole his job was solid. I probably undersold his performance but after having looked at it, it was okay for a guy making his first start at OG.

Bernadeau was by far the worst. I may actually go back and look at the first half again briefly just to see if I missed something because he just came out like shit on my little tally system here compared to the others. He had a number of plays where he was beaten swiftly. A few times he was belly flopping with Free and he is probably responsible for 2 or 3 of the ugliest individual OL plays of the game. On one he goes after Atkins who basically doesn't even get phased, Berny is sent straight to the ground as Atkins makes a play in the backfield. On another he's pulling around and gets little more than an arm on Terrence Newman who just scoots right by him and makes the tackle at the line. There was one where he tried to get a good pop on a DL and then move to the second level, both guys basically just slipped by him and were in on the tackle. I'm serious, I'm left wondering if I just hate the guy so much that I automatically rated him shittier than everyone else so I may go look. I would expect Free to suffer the same fate but he didn't. Berny was just pretty average for the most part. He had a couple of really good plays where you'd be impressed but then he'd have one where he basically didn't do a fucking thing to slow the guy down. Broaddus said he was outstanding and I question that statement wholeheartedly. He was consistently looking like shit.

Escobar cannot block, end of fucking story. He's timid and looks like he doesn't like contact at all. There were only a couple of occasions where you would expect that the contact he made would create a "pop". Most of the time he was slowing down or pulling up just prior to contact and players were getting around him pretty easily. Didn't matter who, DL, LBs or DBs. They just get around him. Like I said, he had a couple of plays where he showed some aggression and he looked a hell of a lot better on those but for the most part he looks like a girl playing red rover, covering her tits with her arms as she runs through the line. There was a play where Newman is lined up right over Escobar and instead of actually blocking him, Escobar slap fights and dances with Newman a bit before moving onto the 2nd level to look for another defender that he can avoid.

For that matter, Hannah's pretty bad too. Not for the same reason but because he doesn't look to have the strength at times. At other times he does well and he even handled Michael Johnson one-one-one for a play but there was a single play where he got a weak chip on a LB off the snap, this guy got into the backfield and made contact with Tanner. He may have been expecting Parnell to help but it wasn't there. After the weak chip he went after a guy at the second level and took a forearm to the throat, knocking him back about 2-3 yards, and this guy too made contact with Tanner in the backfield.

Witten too had a couple of ugly one's. One in particular he was probably not supposed to be taking the DE on his own as Parnell was just standing there doing nothing while Witten was getting driven right into Tony.

I think the team needs to ditch the 2TE with the current guys until Hannah or Escobar develop as blockers. I didn't track it but I have a hunch the team did much shittier on the ground as they added more TEs to the mix. The play where Hannah took a shot to the throat was a 3TE (maybe 4TE set with one outside of Tyron) set with Rosario out there too....he actually was doing a decent job. This play had potential because the OL Frederick through Tyron completely cut the legs out from under the DL on the 3rd and 1 just before the 4th down conversion. At the time when Tanner broke the first tackle in the backfield there were only 4 Bengals who were even on their feet, while the other 7 guys who were stacking the box had either been cut down or tried to dive over the pile. One was in a trailing position across the field a little, maybe he had an angle. Another was burying his forearm into Hannah's throat and Rosario had decent position on the last guy. If that first guy doesn't get into the backfield and Hannah can actually block the guy that kicks his ass, it may have been a TD.

Escobar just looks like timid and in general like a pussy. Not only does he tense up and slow down when contact is coming, often times waiting to have the guy hit him, he just seems to be mentally weak. On the 4th and 1 where he fucked up and Witten gave him a word or two before Tony jumped his ass, he goes to the sideline and looks like he's about to cry. He just looks to soft all around and I'm betting that if he does start getting looks in the passing game, one good shot will have him shortening his reach a bit the next time the ball comes his way. I really don't know how much he'll see the field. I think Hannah is clearly the more willing blocker but he too isn't that great. He needs to get stronger and improve his technique so he can be more consistent.

Tanner was surprisingly good at picking up the blitz. He stepped up into a couple of free rushers and stopped em cold.

All in all, I think the OL looked better. The main problem seems to be that the fuckups that each individual has seem to be dispersed amongst a number of plays. One guy here, another there, so there's always someone just fucking shit up for the rest of the team on any given play because they've seemingly decided to spread out their collective shitty plays as much as possible.

I'm gonna watch the rest tomorrow and probably look over the first half again and see how it all shakes out. Tyron is very, very good and I think Frederick is a high-quality OL in the making. Parnell has flashes that impress but also has flashes that do not. Consistency is where he needs to improve. Free would be serviceable as a OG if you could project improvement. I'm not sure you can because it looked like he handled the game mentally alright. His biggest fuck ups where when he fired off the line and basically didn't block anyone, only to turn around and chase. He also had a couple of plays where he went low and fucking missed all together on the defender. Bernadeau was generally either bad or good without much in between, and more "really bad" than "really good". I honestly can't see how Broaddus would say he was one of the stronger pieces the other night. If Leary can play well, I may actually be content with the line this year provided that none of the other guys fuck it all up.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Read through the OL portion and appreciate it.

Thanks.

The TEs, I don't care about them really.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I agree on your OL takes. I thought Free looked better at G than Bernadeau did, which really screams even more about how really bad he is.

That said, Broaddus wrote an article after the game that he absolutely loved Bernadeau at LG next to Smith, said he played great. I just don't see it.

Reaction score
Jerry Jones on Dallas Cowboys’ OL: ‘We’re better than any time in the last two or three years.’
By Brandon George / Reporter
5:14 pm on August 25, 2013

ARLINGTON – The Dallas Cowboys’ haven’t even played their first regular-season game yet, but owner Jerry Jones believes the offensive line has improved.

“I think we’re better in the offensive line than any time in the last two or three years,” Jones said after Dallas’ 24-18 preseason win Saturday night over Cincinnati.

Jones went on to point out why he believes the offensive line has improved, and the first two players he mentioned were first-round center Travis Frederick and left guard Ron Leary.

The starting offensive line the Cowboys envision – with Leary at left guard in place of Nate Livings – was together for only four series this preseason.

Jones said he expects Leary to be back from arthroscopic right knee surgery to start at left guard against the Giants in the season opener Sept. 8.

“My gut is right now, from all the information I’ve got, is I’m expecting Leary to play against the Giants,” Jones said.

The Cowboys played right tackle Doug Free at right guard for the first time in his career against the Bengals. They started Jermey Parnell at right tackle and slid Mackenzy Bernadeau over from right guard to left guard.

Jones said Free held his own for his first career start at right guard.

It’d be hard to directly blame Free for either sack Tony Romo took in the first half Saturday.

On the first play of the game, Cincinnati linebacker Rey Maualuga came free up the middle on a blitz to sack Romo for an eight-yard loss. Maualuga ran right past Free, but he was tied up blocking defensive end Wallace Gilberry. There was a breakdown on the blitz pick up, but it’s unclear whether Free was involved or not.

Romo was sacked for a second time late in the second quarter by Bengals defensive end Dontay Moch on a third-and-11 play. Though Moch slipped past Free on his left side to get the sack, Romo was already on the ground when Moch powered through Free. That’s because defensive end Michael Johnson went right around right tackle Jermey Parnell to pressure Romo, who stepped up in the pocket before going into surrender mode, hitting the turf untouched.

Frederick said he thought the communication along the offensive line went well despite Free’s first start at right guard.

“Doug does a really good job. He’s such a smart player. He’s been around for so long that he already knows the calls from guard,”Fredericksaid, “so he does a really good job of communicating and if he needs help or has a question he’s always going to ask. He’s not one of those guys who won’t ask because he’s too proud or anything like that. He certainly gets it communicated on the line, which is awesome. He’s a great leader out there.”

Bernadeau struggled against Cincinnati Pro Bowl defensive tackle Geno Atkins. On the first Romo sack to start the game, Atkins beat Bernadeau to pressure Romo.

In the second quarter, Bernadeau couldn’t maintain his block against Atkins and allowed him to shoot into the backfield to take down Phillip Tanner for a one-yard loss on a run play to the right side.

Jones said he can’t envision Free starting at guard once the season begins because the Cowboys are so high on Leary. Jones also said he can’t see the Cowboys adding much help along the offensive line before playing the Giants.

“I’d like to have better, I’d like to have more offensive line to have available,” Jones said. “I’d say the odds of having a new player before the Giants game are very slim.”

:suicide

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Jerry Jones on Dallas Cowboys’ OL: ‘We’re better than any time in the last two or three years.’

Then why the fuck at this juncture, you were trying to sign Moore, and he turned you down or had a change of mind, and it appears that Waters may turn you down as well?

Personally, I don't want Waters here. If he was looking to get out of training camp... why would we want him? To me that shows a lack of committment. He of all people would need training camp for 1.) being out of football for more than a year, and 2.) just to try and bond with his teammates and coaches. If Romo, Witten, Ware, etc all have to do training camp, and him being a newcomer, why wopuld he think that he wouldn't need it? But I digress.

Top Bottom