Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I posted a while back about how the cash floor may fuck Dallas over because they might be in a position to not even be able to spend enough money to be compliant as a result of how much money they have already prorated to the years of 2014, 2015, and 2016.

I posted at CZ and there hasn't been much in response to it. I'm guessing this is probably because the cash floor has never been an issue so nobody likely has a complete grasp on what it means, if they are even aware that it exists at all.

It's a very interesting aspect and has a lot of implications for Dallas. First off, they've already committed a shit ton which really hurts. Secondly, the moves made to get salary cap compliant this year will make it more difficult to be cash floor compliant by the end of 2016. I'll probably tag another post on here about the cash floor conundrum the team may be in but I figured I'd share a league-wide picture at first, just for the shits and giggles.

In looking at some of the salary cap numbers around the league I think the most laughable number out there is the combined cap space for Dallas when compared to the rest of the NFL for the years of 2014, 2015, and 2016.

There are 5 teams who are over the 2014 cap right now. Lions, Steelers, Cowboys, Saints, and Chargers.

Steelers and Saints each have about $12M in overages so the #2 and #3 worst cap numbers for 2014 combine for about $1M more than Dallas at $23M over.

There is currently 1 team who is over the 2015 cap as of right now. Anyone care to take a stab at who it is?

Lastly, if you were to combine ALL the available cap space over the next 3 seasons, guess which team is still over the projected cap numbers. I'm using overthecap's projections which are probably low for 2015 and 2016 but using their numbers Dallas is over the projected total cap amount of about $390M from now until the end of 2016. How is that even possible?

In 2016 Dallas will have $26M in cap space as of right now. The Packers have $29M this year.

If that isn't fucking insane then hold on a second. 22 teams have over $100M in cap space scheduled to work with over the next 3 seasons. Dallas is high up in terms of having a greater number of players under contract through 2016 but the difference between having a few extra minimum salary guys over another team is almost non-existent.

7 teams have $150M free right now, including both the Giants and Redskins. The Jaguars have over $200M which is almost unbelievable but not even they touch those crazy fuckers in Oakland who have somehow fucked up a roster so badly that they literally have no one worth paying and as a result are scheduled to have $230M. I don't know what's worse, the fact that Oakland appears to be so bad at assembling a roster they seemingly can't spend enough money or the fact the complete opposite in terms of spending money (not assembling a roster, the two teams aren't that far apart in that aspect) was only 7 points better when they played each other.

These numbers of course mean little because players will get cut, others will get signed. Dez and Tyron aren't even on the roster for 2016 so they'll be eating some space. Conversely, Ware and Austin will probably drop off by then and free up space. This sort of movement will happen for all teams though so Dallas' relative position of being the most salary cap fucked team in the NFL will continue on as planned.

It's hard imagine how someone who just fails so badly at anything they try so hard at could actually have been successful enough at one point in time to become a billionaire. How many fucking lifetimes would such an egotistical and delusional moron need to pull that stunt off again?

It's amazing, really.

Reaction score
You kind of have to look at us and think "How did we get in this mess???"

Wasn't everything supposed to be all good once those Miles Austin penalties went away?

And is it possible the front office has designs on trying to make a run this year :)lol) and then we see a completely different team in 2015? Like a complete rebuild with new coaching staff, etc?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Good work, Hoof. Interesting stuff.

Haven't looked into this at all, but I assume when you're talking about future cap floor problems you're suggesting that in a couple of years we may have so much dead money due to all these restructures that might not be able to sign enough people to meet the floor? In other words we could be up against both sides of the cap simultaneously? If so, that would be the funniest thing ever. LOL

Anyway, not to derail your thread, but I wanted to focus on your last couple of paragraphs. Everyone talks about what a genius Jerry is at making money with this team. But I've always wondered, is he really? Or was he just fortunate enough to hit it big with his old college road roommate? He had to be good at making money to even get the 100 million+ that it took to buy the team 25 years ago, sure. But he tried to get into the NFL before this. What if he'd bought the Rams and not the Cowboys like he originally tried to do? Or what if he'd bought, say, the Oilers or the Chiefs? Even assuming he hires Jimmy and still wins three Superbowls, would he still be making money two decades later like he does here? I say no. I think he still benefits today from playing in the NFC East and mostly from the Landry teams that built this nationwide fanbase in the 60s and 70s.

Last edited:

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Good work, Hoof. Interesting stuff.

Haven't looked into this at all, but I assume when you're talking about future cap floor problems you're suggesting that in a couple of years we may have so much dead money due to all these restructures that might not be able to sign enough people to meet the floor? In other words we could be up against both sides of the cap simultaneously? If so, that would be the funniest thing ever. LOL

Anyway, not to derail your thread, but I wanted to focus on your last couple of paragraphs. Everyone talks about what a genius Jerry is at making money with this team. But I've always wondered, is he really? Or was he just fortunate enough to hit it big with his old college road roommate? He had to be good at making money to even get the 100 million+ that it took to buy the team 25 years ago, sure. But he tried to get into the NFL before this. What if he'd bought the Rams and not the Cowboys like he originally tried to do? Or what if he'd bought, say, the Oilers or the Chiefs? Even assuming he hires Jimmy and still wins three Superbowls, would he still be making money two decades later like he does here? I say no. I think he still benefits today from playing in the NFC East and mostly from the Landry teams that built this nationwide fanbase in the 60s and 70s.

No doubt he is milking a brand he had nothing to do with creating. You always make money on the buy and that's what he did. It's almost impossible not to profit from the Cowboys brand but had he not been fortunate enough to have won those three Super Bowls, I doubt he would have the new stadium and the revenue stream would be at an all time low with little chance of recovery anytime soon. His heirs will be the ones that will reap what jerry has sown if they continue to suck but that's a long way away

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Wasn't everything supposed to be all good once those Miles Austin penalties went away?

That was a pathetic excuse when honestly, the bad contract for Ratliff and the multiple franchise tags to Spencer were worse.

In a way the league did us a favor, they saved the Joneses from themselves.

FuzzyLumpkins

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I still have to see an accounting either of an individual year much less the 4 year period in which the accounting is to be done that shows that they are going to be unable to meet the standard. IE, bonuses and salaries paid from last year this year and the possiblity going into the next two years.

What I see is you presenting an incomplete thought with no quantification which you use to vent angst and outrage.

If it will help I can mime being outraged and maybe we can get together and buy a billboard to really make a statement.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
Don't like agreeing with fuzzy, but that was a lot of typing not to adress the opening assertion that the cowboys are in danger of breaching the cash floor...

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Don't like agreeing with fuzzy, but that was a lot of typing not to adress the opening assertion that the cowboys are in danger of breaching the cash floor...

I thought I hinted at that coming in a later post but I guess I could have given you two a specific date a time.

My bad.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
I thought I hinted at that coming in a later post but I guess I could have given you two a specific date a time.

My bad.
My bad, take your time with that novel, I am sure it will be amazing...

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Kind of makes sense as to why Dallas has chosen not to rebuild for 17 years. They will be in rebuild mode for the next 4 to 5 years if they don't win a championship soon. Like this year.

FuzzyLumpkins

In the Rotation
Reaction score

My bad.

I read this and then read the last paragraph of the OP and I question your veracity. I mean there is the title too. Straight from hypothesis to conclusion. How scientific of you.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I read this and then read the last paragraph of the OP and I question your veracity. I mean there is the title too. Straight from hypothesis to conclusion. How scientific of you.

Eh, Hoof has been asking about this for quite some time. I think it is fairly apparent in his post he doesn't know the answer for sure and that's part of the reason he keeps bringing up. He wants to know if it is a real issue.

My first thought was similar to yours. If averaged over 4 years, this can't really be an issue, can it?

However, with the way they calculate bonus money, it could be.

We had an earlier thread on it.

http://www.dallascowboysuniverse.co...ought-Capologist-s-Wanted&highlight=cap+floor

Maybe it would be more useful for you to actually investigate it and add some value to thread? It is awfully easy/lazy to sit back and criticize.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know how much more clear this

I'll probably tag another post on here about the cash floor conundrum the team may be in but I figured I'd share a league-wide picture at first, just for the shits and giggles.

can be.

FuzzyLumpkins

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Cabal? Effort?

He asked a question and then answered it himself with a bunch of subjective vitriol. When asked for the basis for said conclusion he says he will do it later. There isn't even guess work.

Yet I am the lazy one taking the easy road? Now the burden of proof is on me? Sheez!

FuzzyLumpkins

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Further if the cap floor is 89% of the cap then that means the floor for last years was ~$110m. That gives us about $15m that we overspent that can make up for future years.

We are ahead of the floor game.

Reaction score
I saw a lot of numbers and spreadsheets doesn't look like vitriol but either way would you rather suck Rihanna's penis or eat Steve buscemis pussy

FuzzyLumpkins

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I saw a lot of numbers and spreadsheets doesn't look like vitriol but either way would you rather suck Rihanna's penis or eat Steve buscemis pussy

Well it seems you do not know what a spreadsheet is because I see none in this thread or the one linked or the one from the zone.

This thread he basically said he hasked the question in another thread got no satisfactory answer, listed total cap space of other teams in future years, threw in the baseless assertion that restructures don't matter and then goes into hyperbole about how fucked we are.

I have been watching him throw a t tantrum about the cap for months now. He was firmly rebuffed regarding our cap situation from AdamJT and has since moved onto this. He is very obviously arguing for a conclusion and not just letting the conclusion be based on facts come as they may. He jumped the gun with shit like:

It's hard imagine how someone who just fails so badly at anything they try so hard at could actually have been successful enough at one point in time to become a billionaire. How many fucking lifetimes would such an egotistical and delusional moron need to pull that stunt off again?

It's amazing, really.

Sure seems like a tempered openminded conclusion to a post.

And the reason why I say the dismissal of restructures is baseless its because its stupid. If you can restructure to get under the cap then that means you can use the cap space to sign new players or extend your own.

Then you have the nature of how signing bonuses are accounted over 5 year periods and there are only three years left of the floor window. That allows you to balloon the hell out of SB which only count 1/5 of their total from year to year. A $5m SB only counts $1m against the cap in a given year and will only count $3m during the floor accounting period total. Next year that last part will be even less and so on.

He ignores what we did the first year and fearmongers based on the unknown. He has been doing it regarding our cap circumstance and he just moved on to this after Adam demonstrated how he was wrong.

Top Bottom