Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I posted in the OL thread that it just seemed like the team couldn't do shit on the ground whenever they had multiple TEs in there.

I thought it was bad but I also thought one of the few good runs came from the 12 formation. Maybe 1 you could call good but it came with 0:08 left in the 3rd quarter so pretty much doens't mean shit because all the guys on the field at that point are likely not in the league next week.

Thanks to one of the posters at CZ who posted all the plays from the 12 formation, it was really easy to see just how shitty Dallas was at running the ball with multiple TEs in the game.

Through the first half of the game they ran it 7 times from the 2TE set. 5 yards.

In the 3rd quarter they had run it 7 times with 2TEs up until 0:08 was on the clock. 16 yards. Randle broke a 9 yard run to make it 25 yards on 8 carries.

Through 3 quarters we're sitting at 30 yards on 15 carries.

In the 4th quarter they got a 12 yard run and a 7 yard run, ending the 4th quarter with 35 yards on 7 carries.

Totals:

For the entire game, 65 yards on 22 carries out of the 12 package. 10 carries of 1 yard or less, 1 carry of 10 yards or more.

I've taken those runs out of the gamebook and tallied what's left. As expected, 20 carries for 91 yards after deducting Tanney's one attempt for negative yards.

4 carries of 1 yard or less, 3 carries of 10 yards or more.

I suspect this isn't new although I don't care to check myself. You have TEs who cannot block and you simply allow the defense to stack the box on you. I've said the team was stupid for trying to use those jumbo formations in short yardage because the OL can't block 4 guys with the 5 they have and bringing in a few TEs sure as hell isn't going to let the OL block 9 or 10.

If the poster at CZ keeps posting just the 12 package plays lined up one after another like he did this week, I'll track em.

I bet Sturm has the numbers. I just may ask him.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
if you want - track the run success when hanna is the 2nd TE...he will be the primary guy..if we can be just ok w him in the game then the 12 package can work

given the information you provided..we probably arent even ok on the ground when hes in the game either

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
if you want - track the run success when hanna is the 2nd TE...he will be the primary guy..if we can be just ok w him in the game then the 12 package can work

given the information you provided..we probably arent even ok on the ground when hes in the game either

Hannah was in there often. Esco as well.

Hannah is the more aggressive blocker but he loses his man. There were a couple where he made solid contact but didn't maintain hardly at all. He looks like he needs another year to bulk and get strength, in addition to some technique.

Escobar doesn't really look like he wants to block at times. It's about 50/50 in terms of him actually initiating contact and getting some pop. Escobar looks to be the type of blocker that has to hope that he does just enough or gets in the way enough. Not a guy who's gonna drive.

Here's a short distance play where Hannah catches a forearm to the throat, getting knocked back a good 2-3 yards. He's on the end of the line, nudges a guy a bit off the snap and then goes and gets Miyagi'd by a linebacker who gets in on the tackle. Both the guys he engaged hit the ball carrier. Just doesn't do enough and this is why the 12 package didn't do shit in the running game yesterday. You have guys who can't physically get the job done on a consistent basis.

[video=youtube;yGh3KysYAW4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGh3KysYAW4[/video]

This one has both of them doing poorly. Escobar is on the right end of the line and misses right off the bat. His guy pursues and forces the fumble. Hannah is lead blocking and looks like he just hits a wall. Guy just goes throw him and gets first contact on Murray.

[video=youtube;IpQMJ-Q2TEY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpQMJ-Q2TEY[/video]

Here's a play where Escobar just kind of runs around. Dances with Newman at the line, goes around him and looks for another defender to avoid. This is why I say he looks timid at times. He's just hoping to get in the way rather than actually try to block a guy. When he does block he doesn't get any push.

[video=youtube;WAb4K82SZPE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAb4K82SZPE[/video]

Here's another one where Hannah just gets blown out of the way. You can watch Mack look like a child but Hannah's part is just about equally bad.

[video=youtube;h6T0V4fDryM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6T0V4fDryM[/video]

In general, this is the big problem as to why the 2TE sets struggled. 6 defenders on the line and 2 LBs chilling 5 yards deep. At the snap, nobody gets any push and Escobar is driven to the middle. Everything just clogs up the center and there's just nowhere to run. That's how you end up with 10 rushes that were 1 yard or shorter out of 22 attempts.

[video=youtube;vuUjDXOyTzk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuUjDXOyTzk[/video]

All the TEs struggle, Witten even had a few ugly ones. Dallas cannot let teams stack the line like that with the guys they have blocking because neither Escobar or Hannah can get any sort of movement. At best your hoping for a hole to open up in the middle while the TEs do just enough to slow someone down.

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
But the double TE is the ULTIMATE offense!!!! That's what the Patriots ran and then it must be a perfect offense for Romo and Dallas!!! Jerry says so...

Oh, you mean that you have to have a great OL to run the ball with that offense?

Then it will never work in Dallas... as long as Jerry is here

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I have no proof and haven't found the actual numbers, but it seems like the run game has been best when its 3 WR's 1 TE 1 RB so far to me.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
I have no proof and haven't found the actual numbers, but it seems like the run game has been best when its 3 WR's 1 TE 1 RB so far to me.

The run game has been best when going up against other teams second defenses

Reaction score
Of course that's going to be the case when your TEs can't block. The more WRs you bring out, the more secondary guys the defense counters with. 3 WRs spreads the D out.

The "genius" of the 2 TE offense is the double-threat. The defense has to decide whether to bring out LBs to defend the run, and risk them getting matched up with an athletic TE in space, or bring in CBs to defend the pass and get overpowered on the run.

I don't know the numbers for passing out of the 2 TE set, but Hanna and Escobar are not yet real threats down the field in the passing game. So when a defense sees one of them come out, bring out the LB and take your chances that the LB won't get burned. Then when the TE lines up tight, and can't block, the offense is just bringing another LB in tight to clog the running lanes.

If we're going with 4 TEs and no FB, then the TEs HAVE to be able to block. We also HAVE to establish each TE as a pass-catching threat. Otherwise, whichever TE comes out gives the threat away. If Escobar can't block, then when he comes out, the defense will be expecting pass.

It makes no sense to try to even run out of the 2 TE set if none of the TEs save Witten can block. Might as well run out of 3 and 4 WR sets... at least then you know there will be fewer LBs on the field.

It's maddening to watch this team consistently fuck up the 2 TE set, and stay so dedicated to it.

Top Bottom