Reaction score
Tony Romo gets it done from the pocket, too
By Todd Archer

OXNARD, Calif. -- The signature plays of Tony Romo's career have been somewhat mesmerizing.

The Dallas Cowboys quarterback has had an uncanny ability to elude pass-rushers and side step blitzers, leaving some of the greats, like J.J. Watt, wondering how they did not come up with a sack.

Romo spun free from Watt last year and delivered a long touchdown pass to Terrance Williams in the overtime win against the Houston Texans.

But those plays are the exception more than the norm.

“I think if you ever sat down and watched tape you’d find me in the pocket is probably a little bit higher level play than you probably understand,” Romo said. “When I say that, I mean that obviously you get credit for making a guy miss and making a play, but that might happen twice in a game. I think the real gift of playing the quarterback position is, for me, getting through five guys in 1.3 seconds. I feel that doesn’t come across every week. For me, I think that’s probably been more my gift than the ability to make someone miss. The ability to get through that and process information, have spatial awareness all in one second. That will separate you over time.”

As good as the Cowboys’ offensive line is, there will be breakdowns. Tyron Smith missed Watt on that play. But Romo’s ability to process and discard information helps his line at times as well.

“He’s been a good quarterback in the pocket, too,” coach Jason Garrett said. "Although most of our routes call for our receivers to make several adjustments, Tony has been very professional in keeping the play alive while the routes develop."

It’s not always making decisions before the snap. Sometimes it is. In the divisional-round loss to the Green Bay Packers last season, Romo knew he was going to Dez Bryant on the go route on fourth down because the Packers were bringing an all-out pressure.

“More than that, you want to get rid of pre-determined what you’re going to do before the snap,” Romo said. “A lot of young guys get in trouble with that all the time, it’s just because they think they see something they’ve already decided, ‘I’m throwing to him, I’m throwing over here.’ That’s what defenses want.”

But Romo’s pocket play doesn’t make highlights. Not that he cares.

“I mean, I don’t mind, hey, give me credit for running around and making plays, sure. Give me credit for staying in the pocket,” Romo said. “It’s about winning. You’re going to get credit for winning. That’s what it comes down to. In whatever way that is, I don’t need to go pound-fist and say I’m actually like this. It seems silly. But I think, personally, my gift is the ability -- and if you talk to my coaches, I think they would agree with you -- is the ability to process information at a very fast, quick rate.”

Romo knew he was going to Dez Bryant on the go route on fourth down because the Packers were bringing an all-out pressure
it's almost as if the offense is so passive, there is zero manipulation of the defense or imposing a look or design that gives defense a pause. "Okay they are coming to blitz me. Our formation is basically a simple Swiss cheese and I am dead on fourth down here. Only option is Dez."

Reaction score
Beasley was wide open in the middle of the field. Much higher completion throw and would also be known open presnap with an all out blitz. So I don't understand that quote at all.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
People might not be aware of his work inside the pocket because until recent years, he's never really had a pocket to throw out of most of the time.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Romo said:
It’s not always making decisions before the snap. Sometimes it is. In the divisional-round loss to the Green Bay Packers last season, Romo knew he was going to Dez Bryant on the go route on fourth down because the Packers were bringing an all-out pressure.

“More than that, you want to get rid of pre-determined what you’re going to do before the snap,” Romo said. “A lot of young guys get in trouble with that all the time, it’s just because they think they see something they’ve already decided, ‘I’m throwing to him, I’m throwing over here.’ That’s what defenses want.”
And that IS exactly what Green Bay wanted on that play, Tony. They had Witten double covered and only one man on Dez, to bait you into throwing that deep ball that has much lower percentage of being successful. They were most concerned with Witten on that play, not with the chances of a deep ball completion - and even left Beasley wide open, as was pointed out earlier in the thread and also in other threads before this.

Thanks for verifying though what myself and others were saying, that on that play you didn't consider any other option besides the deep ball, pre-snap.
it's almost as if the offense is so passive, there is zero manipulation of the defense or imposing a look or design that gives defense a pause. "Okay they are coming to blitz me. Our formation is basically a simple Swiss cheese and I am dead on fourth down here. Only option is Dez."
Yup. NO thought at all of, for example - getting GB to jump offsides for us and give us the 1st down by penalty. No, we must hurry up and run the play.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
The throw to Dez was the right throw. In that situation you give your best playmaker a chance to make a play. Beasley is a nice little slot wr and all, but on 4th down with the season on the line, I'm not going to a guy like Beasley over Dez.

I don't know why there's a question at all. Dez caught the ball, great throw and catch. He bobbled the ball after the football move.

Top Bottom