Reaction score
RGIII out, McCoy back in as Redskins' starting QB

Turns out Robert Griffin III got exactly three games to prove himself.

He's out as the Redskins' starting quarterback, at least for now, reports ESPN's Adam Schefter, who says Colt McCoy will start Sunday against the Colts. Schefter reports the decision will be announced Wednesday.

The Washington Post's Mike Jones also reported the move Tuesday night:

Can confirm Gruden plans to bench Griffin, going to Colt McCoy this week, per to team source. Gruden expected to announce to team in a.m. — Mike Jones (@MikeJonesWaPo) November 26, 2014

RGIII did not distinguish himself last Sunday in a Redskins loss to the 49ers. He was 11-for-19 for 106 yards, with no touchdowns or interceptions. Washington is 0-3 since Griffin's return from a dislocated ankle suffered in Week 2.

Griffin's performance came after an intense week of back-and-forth statements by him and coach Jay Gruden, who made it clear Griffin needed to improve as a passer.

Though Griffin has become a healthy scratch, that isn't the final word on his career in D.C., according to Schefter. His sources say the team still sees RGIII as a long-term answer at the position. Schefter also noted the Redskins will, for the first time since drafting Griffin in 2012, have a full complement of draft picks and salary-cap space to build a better supporting cast.

McCoy earned an opportunity to start with his play in a Monday night victory over the Cowboys in Week 8. The week before that, he went 11-for-12 in relief of Kirk Cousins against the Titans.

Reaction score
Damn...and we think our team is cursed...well we are but we're only a stroke away from being okay.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
when will these media retards start calling that trade with the Rams what it is, one of the absolute worst deals in NFL history

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Damn...and we think our team is cursed...well we are but we're only a stroke away from being okay.

:lol

That is crazy about RG3, though. I know some people think he's better than others, but there's no way in hell he should be behind Colt McCoy. They've massively mismanaged that thing almost beyond belief.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
:lol

That is crazy about RG3, though. I know some people think he's better than others, but there's no way in hell he should be behind Colt McCoy. They've massively mismanaged that thing almost beyond belief.

agreed. McCoy is a journeyman who is definitely not the future. winning some meaningless games with him under center accomplishes nothing. you'd think they'd want to give RG3 as many starts this year before having to make a decision about picking up his option next May.

Reaction score
Kindof feel bad for the kid. He has talent, but his time is done in Washington.

Too much success too soon. Jets and their idiot GM gonna come calling?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
bb, what's the feeling on Gruden there? I just took a look at a few articles on the subject and most seem to be behind Gruden with one in the Post saying he needs to push for even more power. Is there any consideration to the fact that maybe this guy doesn't know what he's doing? I mean, what's he done to earn any trust?

Reaction score
hmmm

This mornings quote from Jerry

"Well, I'm a fan of RGIII," Jones said. "Right on this field two years ago, or maybe it was three seasons ago, he put on a show and had a game that just floored me. And they won, and they won in large part because of his play at quarterback. I thought 'my goodness, and we're going to have to be playing this guy for years and years.' And so he's got it.

"Once you see a player do it, especially if you see him do it two or three times, you know he can do it. And of course he's a driven young man. I'm a big admirer of RGIII."

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
bb, what's the feeling on Gruden there? I just took a look at a few articles on the subject and most seem to be behind Gruden with one in the Post saying he needs to push for even more power. Is there any consideration to the fact that maybe this guy doesn't know what he's doing? I mean, what's he done to earn any trust?

when he kinda apologized for publicly calling RG3 out last week, there was the suspicion that Snyder got to him and that things will never change. but now that Griffin is benched, maybe that means Gruden won the power struggle after all. in any event, not too many people are blaming him for what's gone down this year. he's still a blank slate.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Hmm. Well I wouldn't blame him for this year either, I just wouldn't be so sure he knows what he's doing.

I guess people hate Snyder so much (rightfully so) that they favor anyone over him. Which I kind of get, but I'd be a little afraid Jay's going to be like his brother and go through a stream of sorry old vets instead of developing a young guy.

Reaction score
Has a coach ever ripped into their QB in front of the media the way he did? It was as harsh as i have ever seen.

I mean, what purpose did it serve? He could have done all of that behind closed doors.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Kindof feel bad for the kid. He has talent, but his time is done in Washington.

Too much success too soon. Jets and their idiot GM gonna come calling?

There are a number of teams I can see him landing: Tampa Bay, Chicago, Houston, Tennessee, Oakland.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
[video=youtube;YUEhHdZYT4k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUEhHdZYT4k[/video]

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
My additional lyrics:

To me it always seemed like, you were pissing in the wind
Never knowing, who to throw to, when the blitz came in..
And I'd really like to have hit you, but I'm just a fan
Your career played out long before, your hype ever did....

Top Bottom