CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Monday that Garrett's job is secure, but Dallas does plan to bring in help on the offensive side of the ball.

"The Cowboys intend to keep Jason Garrett, I have not heard this morning that that has changed," Rapoport told "Around the League" on Monday. "A better possibility is that the Cowboys could hire an offensive coordinator to call plays for Jason Garrett and allow him to be a walk-around coach and essentially just be the leader of men that they think he can be."

The move would require some finessing of titles because offensive line coach Bill Callahan also holds the title of offensive coordinator. Callahan's role is more hands-off because Garrett has called plays in Dallas during his 21-19 run with the team. That would obviously change.

The Cowboys are showing faith in Garrett's leadership. He navigated his team through some tricky scenarios in 2012 and had the Cowboys at the brink of a playoff berth. Dallas fell short once again, but the team believes minor -- not major adjustments -- are in order.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

Reaction score
So there isn't an actual report of that. Just speculation.

The report is Garrett is safe. But a posibility is that they could hire a playcaller.

CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score

The report is Garrett is safe. But a posibility is that they could hire a playcaller.
Considering how Quick Jerry has been to defend Garrett and say he's fine. Jerry side stepping that question yesterday and today this coming out. I think this report has legs to walk with

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Agree. It may happen, but this particular report sounds more like speculation.

As much as I can't stand Garrett, and it would probably be some marginal improvement, I don't see that this would do much good.

Quit trying everything in the world to prop this guy up and just hire a real coach FFS.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
if story is true its an absolute embarassment to the fans

He was brought in as an offensive genious remember. Now you are going to strip him of those duties and keep him as the head coach. Typical Jerry doing things half ass. Can never admit when he makes a mistake

Reaction score
Norv isn't coming.

Remember he turned down the HC gig in 2007 because Jerry wanted him to have Jason as OC. Norv didn't think Jason was ready and didn't like the idea.

How likely is it that Norv decides now to work under Garrett?

Not very, IMO.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Norv isn't coming.

Remember he turned down the HC gig in 2007 because Jerry wanted him to have Jason as OC. Norv didn't think Jason was ready and didn't like the idea.

How likely is it that Norv decides now to work under Garrett?

Not very, IMO.

Turner will look for one last big contract before he retires. Dallas pays top dollar for assistants. He made his bones in Dallas. I like our chances.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Why doesn't everyone in the league run this zone blocking shit? The Shanahan's/Kubiaks make it work no matter where they go - boom - top running game. You don't even need good players, just the right coaches and the right players. Why do anything else?

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Why doesn't everyone in the league run this zone blocking shit? The Shanahan's/Kubiaks make it work no matter where they go - boom - top running game. You don't even need good players, just the right coaches and the right players. Why do anything else?

bring in Alex Gibbs 71 year old azz and have him coach it. He's the Zone Blocking guru.

I'm kidding but he has disciples. Callahan did nothing to impress me this year.

I'm reading a chapter on Zone Blocking as we speak. Watching it in action last night was enlightening, reading all the little nuances of it.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Wondered that for years now.

Guess it's as simple as coaches sticking to what they know and not wanting to try something outside their comfort zone.

Reaction score
Loved when Collinsworth praised how Callahan should be commended for how well he got hte line to protect. Right after a play where the Redskins brought three and dropped 8.

Yeah, our five guys can block the shit outta 3 guys. Amazing job.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Opposing defenses know our system.

Opposing defenses and DCs knows Garrett's playcalling.

Ray Lewis called out Garrett's system a few years back remember? Quoted as saying it was the "easiest offense to figure out". I remember Cowboys' fans attacked Lewis over that.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Agree. It may happen, but this particular report sounds more like speculation.

As much as I can't stand Garrett, and it would probably be some marginal improvement, I don't see that this would do much good.

Quit trying everything in the world to prop this guy up and just hire a real coach FFS.

THIS. ^^^

Top Bottom