Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Which Cowboy season was the best in history? Which was the worse?

It's difficult to express an opinion because, quite often, it's based on personal experience. However, many fans weren't around in the 70's, 80's, even the 90's. Therefore, the era in which you became a fan would probably get additional consideration that would make it difficult to form an unbiased opinion.

It's also difficult to quantify. But I'm going to try anyway.

I'm going to take each team's season in the NFL starting from the 70's when the merger resulted in a 26 team league. Otherwise, it would be difficult to compare AFL teams to NFL teams given their obvious difference in talent level when the new league first formed in 1960. So I start from 1970.

I've devised a formula that ranks each team's seasons according to their results in the following categories and with the subsequent weights in percentage of final score:

Record: 30%
Points Scored 10%
Opponent points: 10%
Offensive yardage: 10%
Opponent yardage: 10%
Point differential: 10%
Yardage differential 10%
Takeaway/giveaway ratio: 10%

I'm then going to factor in a weighting formula that compensates teams for a larger amount of competing teams. that is, a team that played in a season with 25 other teams will be evaluated differently than a team that competed in the league with 31 teams.

In effect, the score will not be influenced by rule changes, increases in athleticism or skill levels or by squad size. That's because the score will be derived from a comparison among the other teams for that particular season. What this means is that each team's season will be ranked according to the degree in which it was dominant/dominated.

I have excluded playoff results because one of the purposes of this evaluation is to show that the best team each season wins the super Bowl less than 50% of the time. This is why it has always been so foolhardy to make trades and sacrifice future quality for one season in the hopes of winning it all. Luck and circumstance always play a part and the way in which the greatest teams have been eliminated will proved some stark examples.

I will have the total results by Friday but I can tell you that the highest ranked Cowboy team was 1971.

Many remember this season as the one in which Roger Staubach took over as the starting QB and led the Cowboys to their first NFL championship. What many may not realize is that the latter part of the season, the last six games, was a point in which their two great RB's, drafted in the first round in consecutive years, were both healthy for the first time.

Calvin Hill and Duane Thomas, together with FB Walt Garrison, formed a trio that was so dominant that by the end of the season, Staubach was only throwing an average of 15 passes a game although the offense averaged 38 points.

All three RB's would receive an equal amount of carries. Sometimes Thomas would be the halfback with Garrison. Sometimes he would be the fullback with Hill, probably the deadliest combination.

That team was ranked #1 in offense in both points and yards, #1 in point differential, #1 in yardage differential, #2 in giveaway/takeaway for that season.

The worst team was 1989 when they went 1-15 followed by all three Campo teams from 2000 to 2002.

The best season in NFL history belonged to the unbeaten Dolphins, #1 in every category except takeaway/giveaway in which they were ranked #2.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I still remember watching at home when Bob Lilly tossed his helmet across the field. That and predicting the Dorsett 99-yard run are my greatest Cowboy memories.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
That and predicting the Dorsett 99-yard run are my greatest Cowboy memories.
I did too! Because I immediately saw right before the snap we only had 10 people on the field, that handoff was supposed to go to Springs! Dorsett made a heads up play and accelerated full blast to get there when Springs would have, and was gone. They should have made it a "gadget" play on the list after that.
I still remember watching at home when Bob Lilly tossed his helmet across the field.
Baltimore Soup Bow, and the helmet toss wasn't seen on TV during that telecast. It wasn't seen until the NFL Films highlight reel came out.

Reaction score
The 50 yard helmet toss from Lilly was in frustration after losing "the Blunder Bowl" (Super Bowl V) to Baltimore.

The helmet toss was reported in the papers and there is film of it, but apparently it wasn't shown on live TV.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

The 1975 season is one of my all-time favorites. Clearly that team is not among the strongest or most dominant teams ever assembled, but Landry's creativity and resourcefulness were never more evident. The screens to Preston Pearson were a thing of beauty. An enormously entertaining team to watch. It was the season of Hail Mary and the hammering of Ray Malavasi's Rams. The Cowboys came up short in the Super Bowl, but not by much. Given how great the season had been, that loss wasn't so painful.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
An enormously entertaining team to watch. It was the season of Hail Mary and the hammering of Ray Malavasi's Rams.

Chuck Knox, actually. We had no business being in that game yet won it handily. Manster, then a rookie, absolutely destroyed Jaworski.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The 50 yard helmet toss from Lilly was in frustration after losing "the Blunder Bowl" (Super Bowl V) to Baltimore.

The helmet toss was reported in the papers and there is film of it, but apparently it wasn't shown on live TV.
E-Zackly.

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
That 75 team knocked off the best team of the season, the 75 Vikings. There were several seasons in which the Cowboys knocked off the highest ranked team of that season, only once being knocked off as the highest ranked team. That was in 1994. The following year the 49ers were ranked #1 and they were knocked off by the Cowboys.

Reaction score
Chuck Knox, actually. We had no business being in that game yet won it handily. Manster, then a rookie, absolutely destroyed Jaworski.
Nice job BB, it was Chuck Knox. I confused my championship games. Malavasi was a few years later.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
[video=youtube;Ei_e54SWKQI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei_e54SWKQI[/video]

Top Bottom