junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I always like to go back and think about the draft a few weeks after it happens. Gives you a chance to think about all the picks without the emotion of the actual event involved.

1. Frederick - I like Frederick. He's a smart guy from a big program. I'm not sure I agree with the draft approach in 1 and I think he was a bit of a reach at 31. I wasn't a big Floyd fan, but if you're #5 guy falls to you, you decide at that moment he doesn't fit your scheme and then trade back? Sign of a dysfunctional org. I hope Frederick solidifies the middle of the line and I think he'll be a starter for quite a few years, but it does seems like a panic pick a little bit. I like him much better than Eifert or Pugh though.

2. Escobar - like the player, hate the pick and the logic. Two TE sets....blah. Garrett can't figure out how to make use of the talent he has now.

3. Williams - Love this pick. Great value. The team needed another outside guy and he might be able to replace Miles in a year or two.

3. J.J. Wilcox - like the player, but not this early. He's going to be a project I think.

4. B.W. Webb - I knew less about him than anyone else mainly because I didn't really consider CB a need.

5. Randle - Great pick both for value and need.

6. Holloman - Another pick I like. ST and possible future starter. Former safety.

Looking at it in a vacuum, I actually really like most of the draft class. However, if you look at the team needs, it seems quite odd. No DL? Anywhere? DL has to be a bigger need than corner IMO.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
This draft demonstrated that, despite some jackass in the desert view that Jason was in charge, Jerry is still clearly in charge.

It also showed that Jerry changes draft strategies every year. Can't win that way.

We got some good players but we reached and we ignored huge needs. Draft fail in my book.

Reaction score
I dislike the Williams pick because it wasn't a need and I dont see any special qualities in him. Plus we're deep at receiver IMO.

I hate the Wilcox pick. Terrible selection.

I posted this thread last year, when we went into the draft with basically the same needs

http://www.dallascowboysuniverse.co...-to-me-the-lack-of-OL-DL-picks&highlight=lack

Kind of unnerving that we took essentially the same positions in back to back drafts, with glaring needs in the trenches.

Reaction score
I like Frederick to fill a need and BW Webb might be one of my favorite picks in the last few years. I think Escobar, Williams, and Wilcox were wastes in terms of not really replacing or starkly contrasting anything that Dallas currently has. Randle and Holloman were redux picks of old Tashard Choice and Marcus Steele molds.

Brandon Magee and Kendial Lawrence are a little exciting though?

Reaction score
Jerry has his hands everywhere. The team def did not improve significantly. With the tough schedule, I see 7-9 at best next season.

Hypothetically though, if Gruden or a guy like Harbaugh were here, I could easily see this roster finishing 12-4 with the same schedule. Coaching means so much in the NFL these days.

Reaction score
I like Frederick to fill a need and BW Webb might be one of my favorite picks in the last few years. I think Escobar, Williams, and Wilcox were wastes in terms of not really replacing or starkly contrasting anything that Dallas currently has. Randle and Holloman were redux picks of old Tashard Choice and Marcus Steele molds.

Brandon Magee and Kendial Lawrence are a little exciting though?

Why? Were you familiar with him prior to the draft?

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I dislike the Williams pick because it wasn't a need and I dont see any special qualities in him. Plus we're deep at receiver IMO.

I hate the Wilcox pick. Terrible selection.

I posted this thread last year, when we went into the draft with basically the same needs

http://www.dallascowboysuniverse.co...-to-me-the-lack-of-OL-DL-picks&highlight=lack

Kind of unnerving that we took essentially the same positions in back to back drafts, with glaring needs in the trenches.

I see the need for another WR far more than the need for another TE.

They really didn't have anyone that could play outside other than Dez and Miles. That is why Ogletree stuck all those years. Dez and Miles both, historically, have a greater chance of missing games than Witten. I like Dez, Miles and Harris a lot, but after that, I don't see much. Plus, I think you're going to see Miles cut sooner rather than later.

Now is another WR a greater need than OL or DL? Probably not, but it was a need IMO.

Escobar is the pick that bothers me. You can find a second blocking TE type with a little bit of receiving skills pretty easy if they want to run this 12 package. Hell, they had Scott Chandler in camp and sent him packing.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
And, another thing that I think is flawed with the Cowboys scouting department. There are certain positions they are good (or consider themselves good) at scouting. LB, CB, TE, WR.......so I think you see those positions artificially inflated on the draft board.

I suspect they feel good about drafting those positions because they've either had some luck historically or you can get them on the field right away on specials/sub packages and you feel like you get more value out of your picks.

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Escobar is the every other year 2nd round TE pick that so far, has never panned out. Hoping for something different this time around.

Love the Frederick pick, however, would have preferred a trade back into the middle of the 2nd round before picking him. However, as has been pointed out on this board before, you have to have someone to trade with to make that trade.

Didn't like the Wilcox pick at first, but think he'll pan out
Love the Webb pick.
Williams will be a good player for us (I hope)

Hoping a couple of UDFA's come through this year, hoping for Leary to show us something this year too

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Like Mid said, someone sell me on Webb. Everyone raves about him, but corner is one position I spent zero time looking at prior to the draft this year. After last year's splurge, I didn't feel it was a need.

Reaction score
Why? Were you familiar with him prior to the draft?

No. Actually, I was annoyed at the pick during the draft because CB did not seem any area of need. But IMO, the one overall quality that Dallas needs on both sides of the ball is quickness and short area explosiveness. Webb has that at an elite level. The way the league looks to me right now, there is so much protection given to WRs before and after they have the ball, that the CBs who are best able to jump routes and attack the ball in the air (as opposed to trying to affect the WRs themselves) are going to help the Cowboys the most. But even more so, if a CB takes some chances, would he have the recovery ability, closing speed, and quick twitch to reduce any YAC? Webb would. He only had coaching and organization at a small college level. Eager to see what happens with pro coaching. Might find out, of course, why he was William and Mary material and not D1? But in the gamble of all potential, these qualities are a pretty good probability: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/b.w.-webb?id=2539338

Reaction score
Odd that you hold him in such high esteem without knowing anything about him pre-draft. I hope he pans out, and he very well could, but I think it'll take a year or two before he makes an impact.

Recent draft picks I've been stoked about were Lee, Dez, Carter, Tyron and Harris.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't think there's anything with liking what you see about a player you weren't familiar with before the draft. It's when people hate a player but then talk themselves into loving him after a few weeks of Mick and Broaddus articles that it gets irritating.

But that said, I did a little of that on Frederick. Well, maybe not because it wasn't that I hated him or had studied him much, I just knew that he was super slow and unathletic because he was so slow it was noteworthy. But in watching his vids, I like the pick. The guy is simply so strong he just never gets pushed back. That's pretty rare. I'm sure he's going to have trouble with some of the quicker inside players, but I think it'll be worth it to have a guy who is so hard to push back into the pocket.

Escobar, meh. Like Junk said, I don't think Garrett will use him enough to justify the pick, maybe with reason because Witten and Dez will always be higher priorities. And although Witten is going downhill, I can't see him not being good for at least another two years.

Williams I like. Seemed like every time I saw even 10 minutes of a Baylor game, he was making some 40 yard play. He's not going to be a dominant player and I think he'll take time to adjust to the pro game, but I love the pick because I think it was real value. People complain about not drafting the true best player on the board but when we do they claim there wasn't a need there? Can't have it both ways.

The rest, I dunno. Webb has gotten such good reviews that I have to think there's something there. If he can just replace Scandrick next year, that'll be fine. Holloman is one of those players that, I'm sure you guys do this, I don't know much about but I have a good feeling about. I like the idea of taking producers from big time conferences in the later rounds, and the SEC is as big as it gets.

So overall it seems fine to me. The Escobar pick eats at me but who knows, maybe he's the next Todd Heap.

Reaction score
Odd that you hold him in such high esteem without knowing anything about him pre-draft. I hope he pans out, and he very well could, but I think it'll take a year or two before he makes an impact.

Recent draft picks I've been stoked about were Lee, Dez, Carter, Tyron and Harris.

Odd is of course in the eye of the beholder, but its hard to argue that a 5'10" 184lb CB (who is also a returner) that has a 40 inch vertical, a shuttle that might be the second fastest in the history of Combine records, and arm length/hand size of a player usually over 6 feet tall is not stoke worthy. Didn't know about him, but I think he meets a certain criteria that is a missing puzzle piece. To contrast, Scandrick had a 4.3/40 at the Combine but he never uses that straight speed in the slot. I think he gets lost in cuts and ends up just chasing rather than reacting or challenging for the ball. But now there is a player who is elite in changing directions....I think it's a good thing.

Reaction score
I always go through some time of wishing that we had done something different in the draft. it rarely pans out how I hope when I'm watching/listening to it. I wish we had taken Floyd, didn't like the Escobar pick when we made it. I liked the Williams and Randle picks. Didn't really like the Wilcox pick, but it was something I expected Jerry to do... take a small school project at safety in the middle rounds. Webb and Holloman I didn't know anything about, so didn't really dislike the picks. But I wanted a DL at some point, and it pissed me off that we didn't take one, so initially I wasn't thrilled with those picks.

By this point after the draft though, what's done is done, and I'm hoping all of these guys pan out. I think Frederick will be a player here for years. Hoping Escobar is our Jimmy Graham when Witten is gone, but that's probably not for another 4-5 years. I like what I've heard about Webb and Holloman, but am really only expecting Webb to be a 4th CB and Holloman to be a special teams guy this year. I don't expect to see Willcox at all this year, unless we get a rash of injuries again at S.

Good stuff Junk. Post more.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Didn't care for the TE pick.

Why spend all the money and resources on WRs if you're going to take one off the field every time the #2 TE comes out?

Just stupid. This aside from Dallas not having a clue on what they are actually doing in terms of running that package.

Reaction score
I agree.

Just found it odd to say you've never been more excited about a player.

Me? Are you saying that I said that?

This is what I said, unless I am missing something or you were talking about someone else.

BW Webb might be one of my favorite picks in the last few years.

Reaction score
You say tomato I say tomato. Look man with all the traffic up in hea I can't be expected to remember every single thing everyone says.

Whatever the case is, I'm also excited about Webb based on whats been reported of him during OTA's. At least during the early parts of OTAs as I hadn't heard his name mentioned recently. I hope he pans out but I think it'll be a few years before we see it. Sort of like fellow W&M'er Lissemore.

Which makes me wonder.... do we have a tie at W&M or something? Not exactly a hot bed for NFL talent. It wouldn't suprise me if we in fact drafted the last two W&M'ers taken in the draft.

Top Bottom