dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Sam Shields: 'It was a catch'

January, 23, 2015
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Picking up Dallas Cowboys' pieces from four days at the Pro Bowl in Phoenix:

Reliving the catch: Dez Bryant pulled out of the Pro Bowl because of a lingering groin injury, but Green Bay Packers cornerback Sam Shields is playing in the game. The last time they saw each other Bryant’s fourth-down catch was overruled by replay.

“It was a catch,” Shields said, “But the new rule and at the last minute what happened, that’s what the refs came up with. I never said he didn’t catch it. He made a helluva catch I was in great coverage. Like I said, it was good on good and he came up with the catch.”

Bryant thought it was a catch. The Cowboys thought it was a catch. Shields thought it was a catch. The NFL didn’t. Bryant said he was reaching for the goal line as he was going down. Shields agreed.

“I did look back and I seen him reaching and I guess that’s when he didn’t control the ball as he was doing that,” Shields said.

Reaction score
Yup. It was an obvious catch. Says something good about Shields that he was willing to be honest about it.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Three steps, took ball from two hands to one hand, extended the ball for the end zone.

That is a football move. The NFL's going-to-the-ground continuation rule should have no longer applied since he established himself as a runner by making a football move. That moron Mike Pereira in the booth saying it wasn't a football move showed me he is much more worried about protecting the league and officials than he is about being right.

The stupid thing is Green Bay was still probably going to march down the field and win the game anyway. NFL screwed this one up.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The stupid thing is Green Bay was still probably going to march down the field and win the game anyway. NFL screwed this one up.
Yep they could have had a all time classic memorable game. Now all its remembered for is crappy officiating of a crappy rule.
Three steps, took ball from two hands to one hand, extended the ball for the end zone.

That is a football move.
Plus, his knees hitting the ground before the ball did made him down by contact before the ball moved. And the official who initially called it a catch and spotted the ball, had it exactly right - right down to where to spot the ball.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

That is a football move. The NFL's going-to-the-ground continuation rule should have no longer applied since he established himself as a runner by making a football move. That moron Mike Pereira in the booth saying it wasn't a football move showed me he is much more worried about protecting the league and officials than he is about being right.

I agree.

It just puts another black eye on the league though and eliminated what would have been one of the alltime great catches in postseason history.

Reaction score

Did you ever feel during that ruling of no catch that if the Hitchens play in the Lions game never existed, which brought up pictures of the Jones partying with the head of NFL officiating, that the call may have just been a catch? I almost feel like there was so much "Jerry controls the referees" hype and buzz during the week that the officials just could not rule a close one in favor of the Cowboys.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Did you ever feel during that ruling of no catch that if the Hitchens play in the Lions game never existed, which brought up pictures of the Jones partying with the head of NFL officiating, that the call may have just been a catch? I almost feel like there was so much "Jerry controls the referees" hype and buzz during the week that the officials just could not rule a close one in favor of the Cowboys.
They reversed the call on the field, so apparently the on-field officials weren't in on this little conspiracy.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score

I'm right there with you.

Reaction score
It was a bad overturn.

I hated going for it on fourth. Nearly shat myself when it paid off (initially). Thought the challenge flag was desperation by McCarthy. In disbelief when it was overturned.

That said, like many here, I dont think it cost us the game. Not with as well as AR was playing and as bad as our entire secondary was. Even normally solid players like Scrandrick and Moore were getting abused. Carr, believe it or not, probably played the best. And that certainly isnt' saying much.

Rusty Stevens

Spectator
Reaction score

My problem with it is, was it really a close call? I don't believe so. Anyone that watches football knows that is a catch. If they let the play stand, how many people would have complained this was the wrong call? Probably no one. I understand what you are saying, as there is that cloud hanging over the head of the Cowboys that "Jerry controls the referees." But to essentially end the season on a team that has worked that hard and made it that far makes me sick, which is why that call bothers me so much. (My anger is with the ref and league, not you the poster).

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
My problem with it is, was it really a close call? I don't believe so. Anyone that watches football knows that is a catch. If they let the play stand, how many people would have complained this was the wrong call? Probably no one. I understand what you are saying, as there is that cloud hanging over the head of the Cowboys that "Jerry controls the referees." But to essentially end the season on a team that has worked that hard and made it that far makes me sick, which is why that call bothers me so much. (My anger is with the ref and league, not you the poster).
Welcome to The U, Rusty.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Definitely.

Which makes Jerry and his scum son even stupider for clubbing with the league's director of officials like a bunch of 50 year old frat boys.

Top Bottom