Reaction score
Let this marinate:

Jets traded a 7th rounder for Zac Stacey - a RB that would start for us.

We traded a 6th rounder for a rookie blocking TE that likely would've been available in UDFA.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
For real. I'm surprised they only got a 7th for Stacy. He's not great, but he's pretty decent.

I'm also surprised they traded him since Gurley won't be ready for a while. I'd have kept him until Mason got through camp healthy and I knew Gurley was full go. But I guess they like that third RB as much as Stacy.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
For the Cowboys to draft Swaim, he must have generated UDFA interest (from other teams). The Cowboys wouldn't have been a particularly attractive destination to Swaim given the the three TEs currently on the roster. Parting with next year's 6th round choice isn't a big deal, particularly given the compensatory picks expected next year. Seems obvious that the Cowboys are looking at Swaim as a potential cost-saving replacement for Hanna, who is due a new contract at the end of the season. The trade and pick did come as a surprise, but it also makes sense.
There's a way to justify anything, one only needs faith.

Watch this Swaim dude wind up being another Witten or a Novacek though.

Reaction score
Mayock was just on the radio and basically said Green is a backup tackle but he was real excited about Laurence Gibsons athleticism and what he could develop into.

Didn't care for our 4th or 5th rounders.

Reaction score
Oh he also talked about Nelson Agholar and said he's a versatile receiver who can line up all over the field and compared him to Greg Jennings.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Mayock was just on the radio and basically said Green is a backup tackle but he was real excited about Laurence Gibsons athleticism and what he could develop into.

I don't like to use this term but I guess you can look at it that we got a steal in Gibson, but it appears to be offset by the reach of Green.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Jeremiah really liked the LB we picked from Minnesota. So did another of the analysts.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I've read a report that Green may move inside to Guard (potential replacement for Leary?), and that Gibson would bne the swing OT and maybe eventual replacement of Free.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't doubt the team thinks that. And if it does, it just feeds into my fears that this team after one good year thinks it has it all figured out and is a little too cocky. You don't pencil in 7th rounders as anything. You don't even know if any of these guy can play, especially 7th rounders.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't doubt the team thinks that. And if it does, it just feeds into my fears that this team after one good year thinks it has it all figured out and is a little too cocky. You don't pencil in 7th rounders as anything. You don't even know if any of these guy can play, especially 7th rounders.

It's not being cocky. It appears to me they will be taking the same route with both Chaz and particularly Gibson, in the same manner that they did with Leary. Leary didn't come out starting right away, and neither did Free when you think about it.

And like you said... none of us know whether they can play, hence why they are NOT penciled as starters. I think most of us have an understanding that these two are developmental players. We've all been saying that we need to draft for Free's eventual replacement, well this is the start of it. If it doesn't pan out... then go either the free agent route or use another high draft pick.

And while you say it after one good year, the fact is that it took a few years to achieve that ONE GOOD YEAR. And from there, you build upon it. I mean what the fuck do you want?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Most team draft players with a plan for them. Doesnt mean they stay there forever.

They told Green they saw him as a swing tackle with potential to move inside to G. I think most people saw Gibson as a T, very raw, but more of that position.

I cant really imagine any scenario where as a rookie a raw 7th rd pick is the active game day swing tackle over the 3rd rd pick from a major univeristy that has experience playing both T spots.

You never know though, if Green gets into OTA's and camp and impresses at G he could end up pushing Leary for his position.

Top Bottom