Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
At the request of mid, I'm bringing over a post I put in the postgame thread at the zone.

I'm not even sure how someone can harp on the defense and look themselves in the mirror.

They played outstanding up until the last half of the 4th quarter.

No shocker of course, Dallas only had the ball for 11:40 in the second half, basically leaving the defense hanging out to dry with numerous stalled drives culminating in converting on 3rd down only 3 of 10 times.

4th quarter, Dallas had 3 possessions.......2 if you rule out that last series.

Time of possession in the 4th quarter, 4:05.

You can't win close games by not being able to hold the ball.

The offense just isn't good enough and the defense, while vastly improved, can't be relied upon to hold teams to less than 13 points in order to give the offense a chance to win.

The offense is far too inconsistent, they don't really control the clock to the extent that their T.O.P would indicate because there's been a number of TDs surrendered by the offense and special teams, giving the ball right back to them. Throw on the fact that they use just about every single second of playclock and the difference between snapping the ball at 5 seconds and snapping the ball at 1 second is likely artificially inflating their overall #4 T.O.P stat.

They also rank #20 in T.O.P in the 4th quarter.

Anyone want to know how pitifully ineffective the offense has been this year? If not, don't look.

Through 8 games, Dallas averages 19.8 points per game.

Prior to today through their first 8 games, Cleveland averaged 18.6 points per game.

Dallas averages 5:38 of T.O.P per game more than Cleveland.

Tennessee is (or was prior to today) dead last in terms of average T.O.P and they score more points per game than Dallas who is #4 in that category.

There is 1 team in the NFL who has a bigger difference between T.O.P rank and Points Per Game Rank.......Kansas City. And why is that? Because KC is the only team with more turnovers and just like Dallas they get the ball right back and fail to do anything with it but chew up time.

They're ranked 28th in points scored in the 1st half of games with a grand average of just under 8 points per game in the 1st half, practically ensuring a tie or deficit when coming out for the second half.

They're bottom 5 in the major rushing statistics.

When you look at real offensive effectiveness, they're pretty awful.

In terms of yards per point, they suck, indicating yet another year of yardage compiling with the continual struggle to actually rack up what matters most.....points.

They're 28th this year in yards per point. Not a surprise as that's been the Garrett offense for nearly the entire time he's been in Dallas.

2012: 28th
2011: 20th
2010: 13th
2009: 25th
2008: 21st
2007: 4th

Aside from his first season and the anomaly of a year in 2010 when Romo missed a ton of time, that's it....Bottom 10 or close to. 1 truly good year and 4 seasons being 20th or worse.

30th in penalties this year.

28th in penalties in 2011.

They're currently committing more penalties per game this year than they had committed during ANY year that Wade coached, including 2010.

In fact, over the past 10 seasons two of the highest three penalties per game years are this year and last year.

The defense has played well enough for Dallas to be undefeated.

Unfortunately the offense with help from Joe D's group of idiots has played poorly enough for Dallas to be nearly winless.

It's seriously pathetic. When other teams across the league are getting more from lesser players and about 6:00 less of ball control per game, how can anyone say with a straight face that the coaching is up to snuff?

Maybe Jason Garrett will turn out to be a good HC. Who knows. One thing is for sure, his offense sucks and as long as he thinks he can handle both duties (which he has shown he can't. See last weeks ref arguing and realization he has to call a play.) Dallas will suffer.

This is his 6th season calling plays and his offense has been average or worse in scoring in all but 1 year.

If he's going to continue to call plays, he needs to go.

I think he's likely too arrogant to give up those duties so it's time to move on. No need to waste more time with him.

I posted this and I had a typo in it that Adam took offense to. I've bolded it and corrected it just so there's no more mass pandaemonium and confusion.

I said "yards per play" instead of "yards per point" when the context surrounding the statement is clearly "yards per point". He's told me this is a shit statistic to look at. I dug up some numbers and posted them for him. I'm eagerly awaiting his reply.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
offense is awful..

but the defense is overrated..played well..surely good enough to win..but this defense should be better across the board..ryan sucks

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Giving up a cheap 3 points before the half was a killer, and not being able to get off the field late in the 4th was unforgivable.

Reaction score
When you look at real offensive effectiveness, they're pretty awful.

In terms of yards per point, they suck, indicating yet another year of yardage compiling with the continual struggle to actually rack up what matters most.....points.

They're 28th this year in yards per point. Not a surprise as that's been the Garrett offense for nearly the entire time he's been in Dallas.

2012: 28th
2011: 20th
2010: 13th
2009: 25th
2008: 21st
2007: 4th

Aside from his first season and the anomaly of a year in 2010 when Romo missed a ton of time, that's it....Bottom 10 or close to. 1 truly good year and 4 seasons being 20th or worse.

30th in penalties this year.

28th in penalties in 2011.

They're currently committing more penalties per game this year than they had committed during ANY year that Wade coached, including 2010.

In fact, over the past 10 seasons two of the highest three penalties per game years are this year and last year.

If you can read that, and still not think Garrett needs to be replaced, well.... you're hopeless.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Good points on the offense but you can definitely hang some on the D.

Atlanta realized early that they could get White and Jones in the slot against Scandrick and McCray anytime they wanted to and we never did anything to make them stop going to that, which ultimately cost us the game.

Reaction score
Good points on the offense but you can definitely hang some on the D.

Atlanta realized early that they could get White and Jones in the slot against Scandrick and McCray anytime they wanted to and we never did anything to make them stop going to that, which ultimately cost us the game.

No, settling for field goals in the red zone, not being able to get 12 inches on third and short, and Jason Garrett calling a ridiculous game cost us the game. Converting only 3 third down conversions cost us the game.

We just held the Falcons to 19 points, in their house, with a back up safety, an ILB starting after signing last week, and Jay Ratliff being in and out with a bum ankle.

Score some points or sustain some drives and we win the fucking game.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
defense played well early...essentially gave up 16 plus in the 2nd half alone...(2H plus last drive to end 1H)

thats not very good..but it was good enough to win

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Woulda been nice to get that OPI on Mo.

definitely..crazy how OPI is almost never called..but DPI is called on the most ticky tacky shit..i find that soo strange..Mo is probably the hero of the game and his stardom would have been made last night if not for that play by White..

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
No, settling for field goals in the red zone, not being able to get 12 inches on third and short, and Jason Garrett calling a ridiculous game cost us the game. Converting only 3 third down conversions cost us the game.

We just held the Falcons to 19 points, in their house, with a back up safety, an ILB starting after signing last week, and Jay Ratliff being in and out with a bum ankle.

Score some points or sustain some drives and we win the fucking game.

Maybe so, but the D had numerous opportunities to get off the field on Atlanta's last drive. They played a good game but not a complete one.

Reaction score
ATL's D is not some juggernaut. If you hold them to 19 total points, and can't put up 20 or more to win, then you really must either have zero talent and/or have a very shitty HC/OC.

I've seen Parcells have success with this same core, so I am gonna go with the latter.

On a side note, this message board is getting shittier by the day. No thread goes beyond like 15 replies and y'all are down to about 4 regular posters.

Keep up the good work.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
On a side note, this message board is getting shittier by the day. No thread goes beyond like 15 replies and y'all are down to about 4 regular posters.

Keep up the good work.

Not sure how we'll get by without you saying the exact same thing about the ginger every time you post but feel free to stop and we'll try to manage.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Garrett is the god damned problem.

Hes a stupid bitch.

Its obvious that the line is worthless in the run game. As soon as he turned Romo loose, what happened?

A long TD drive that took less than 2 minutes.

Where in the fuck was that the first 3 qtrs?

Reaction score
Mostly the Cowboys' loss is on the Cowboys offense, I think. They are simply too inconsistent.

Yeah, not much more to say. It has been the same ole, same ole for quite sometime now.

Top Bottom