Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I just love the cohesiveness of the staff that has been assembled. Ultimatums are the textbook definition of unity.

However, I don't blame Callahan. He has the title, hasn't been given a shot at all to say he couldn't do better but management is hell bound on not letting him have a shot?

If this were the case and I were him, I'd put some feelers out there to see if another head coach wanted to hire me. If so, I'd walk into Jerry's office and take a fat shit on the floor right in front of him. If not, I'd stay and start keeping a bottle of whiskey in the desk.

All that over a bad reporters opinion?

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Honestly I dont care if he calls plays. He can improve, but the biggest improvement on offense will come by upgrading the OL, not by changing who calls plays.

Well odds are you aren't going to be able to acquire enough players along the OL in any given offseason to fix it. I'm guessing Dallas might get 1 guy this year.

Additionally, I'm curious as to if Garrett's play calling hasn't exacerbated the already porous OL. Perhaps with someone else calling plays that don't ask the OL to do things they cannot, the OL in place might be good enough to actually prevent themselves from fucking the team over. Not a strength at all, just no longer a boat anchor.

I do care who's calling plays because shittier OLs are out there. In 2010 the Bears had the worst OL in football and Cutler was sacked 52 times. His numbers are basically what Drew Bledsoe's were in 2005. Almost identical in TDs, INTs and yardage with about 20 yards per week in favor of Bledsoe. Their running game was not great, average 3.9 yards per carry.

Now, lets talk 2011 Dallas. We've said the OL was bad, but no way in hell it was as bad as Chicago's was from the previous year. Dallas had 5 fewer rushing TDs than Chicago's 2010 season but also had 0.5 yards more per carry than Chicago did. Advantage Dallas. Romo's 2011 season was very good with a rating of 102.5, again an advantage for Dallas. In total, Dallas had 1400 yards more of offense which is the equivalent to 30% of the entire Bears season total for yardage. (4600 to 6000).

And just so we don't go down the road of the Bears defense being responsible, the turnover ratio was the exact same. Both defenses did score 1 TD but Chicago had 3 ST scores.

All that combined, you wanna know what the scoring difference was strictly for the offense, excluding ST and defense? A little over 50 points on the season which works out to slightly more than 3 points per week.

So with far better QB play, an undoubtedly better OL, a more effective running game, and more talent across the board at the other skill positions (Johnny Knox/Earl Bennett/Hester #3 WR vs Dez/Austin/Robinson & Greg Olson vs Jason Witten), Dallas was able to get an extra FG per week? The 2011 Cowboys have the 2010 Bears outclassed in every single way. The only position at which the Bears had the upper hand was at RB and as I have said, Dallas had more yardage and a better average on the season (4.4 to 3.9).

3 fucking points. And who was the coordinator for the Bears in 2010? Mike Martz Mike FUCKING MARTZ!

This year, only 5 teams had more yards than Dallas. 14 teams had more points. That's a fucking imbalance. Dallas had about 250-300 yards more than both the Packers and the Giants but scored like 55 points less. Green Bay did have one extra non-offensive score.

I think a new play caller can help just as much as the OL. Plenty of teams had as many sacks as Dallas but didn't get hamstrung like Dallas did.

Compare the OLs for Washington between 2011 and 2012. Almost the exact same group between the two seasons and this year they were without Jamal Brown. That offense was horrid in 2011, ranking 26th. They return basically the same guys on OL and out of nowhere they jump towards the top of the league in scoring? I know PFF is flawed but Washington's RT graded out worse than Free. One of their guards graded out worse than Bernadette and the other was graded almost exactly the same as Washington's other guard. Dallas, equal to or better at 3 positions. Now, the Skins did have better C play and better LT play than Dallas did but the guy who started all 16 games in 2012 is the same guy that started all the games in 2011. I actually think he flexed to OG but that's beside the point.

Their OL went from absolute SHIT to one of the better units in the league and it had nothing to do with adding a bunch of strong players. They started basically the same guys minus their high-dollar RT. Granted they did have health on their side but nobody would ever suggest that health alone can produce good play. Their OL did better because they found a QB and a capable RB and they have a coach who's if given a capable RB can turn the guy into a monster. They have a coach with an actual plan and proven scheme. Dallas has a QB and a capable RB although he's been hurt. What don't they have? A coach with a proven scheme and a coach who is learning on the job.

I think it's hard to say whether or not the offense can improve based on OC alone because we've had the same OC for like 6 years, through various different pieces along the OL and his offense has 1 shining season to it. Basically the OL went to the complete crapper in 2008 and for some unknown reason this team hasn't made it a priority to fix it?

Every year teams with far less capable QBs are hanging with Dallas. Hell, there were two seasons where Pennington and Henne were a part of the Wildcat offense and scored on par with Dallas.

You cannot tell me that a different OC wouldn't make a difference. The fact that Dallas is likely the only team to struggle as much with scoring when compared to their yardage is proof enough.

The names listed are likely some of the last you would want to hear but I'm convinced that they could do just as well, if not better.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
All that over a bad reporters opinion?

Well then why post it?

90% of the shit ever posted is all speculation at best which makes any following dialog under the assumption it is real. If we had to wait and decipher what was real or just conjecture, we'd have nothing to talk about.

I suppose I should have said, "if this is true" but figured it wasn't all that necessary.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Dumbass Watkins just said on the score he thinks Garrett will call plays and tice will be the te coach.

Said if an outside guy comes in and calls plays Callahan will leave. It's him or Garrett.
Just to understand... Watkins is saying the playcaller will definitely be either Callahan or Garrett? Or that Callahan is saying if it's not me or Garrett I quit?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I just love the cohesiveness of the staff that has been assembled. Ultimatums are the textbook definition of unity.

However, I don't blame Callahan. He has the title, hasn't been given a shot at all to say he couldn't do better but management is hell bound on not letting him have a shot?

If this were the case and I were him, I'd put some feelers out there to see if another head coach wanted to hire me. If so, I'd walk into Jerry's office and take a fat shit on the floor right in front of him. If not, I'd stay and start keeping a bottle of whiskey in the desk.

He'd have to be promoted to assistant HC to get out of the contract.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think it's hard to say whether or not the offense can improve based on OC alone because we've had the same OC for like 6 years, through various different pieces along the OL and his offense has 1 shining season to it. Basically the OL went to the complete crapper in 2008 and for some unknown reason this team hasn't made it a priority to fix it?

I think that 1 shining season (2007) can be attributed to Sparano's playcalling, that year was Garrett's first year at being an OC/playcaller, and we all know that Sparano held his hand and guided him, at the very least.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Great writeup Hoof. I don't buy that shit that a better OL will make Garrett a better playcaller. An OC with the skill players we have would be able to overcome or work with the OL That's not to say that we shouldn't try and improve the OL; that should be priority #1 come this offseason, after getting a better playcaller.

What good is Garrett if he has to have all-pros at every position on the OL? HE CANNOT CALL PLAYS FOR SHIT. I'm tired of seeing on 3rd and 1s, he calling plays that require Romo to throw the ball nearly downfield for 20 yards WHEN WE ONLY NEED 1 FUCKING YARD. It seems lost on him, that if he gets and goes for that ONE YARD... he'll get a new set of downs, so that he may attempt his long ball. He's been a backup QB for his entire playing career, and I said it before, I think he's trying to still QB but from the HC position.

We struggled to get 8 wins this year. You cannot tell me that had we a better HC and/or playcaller, that we wouldn't have had won more games.

The way I see it, Garrett's 8-8 consecutive seasons is the equivalent of Campo's consecutive 5-11 seasons but with obviously less talent for Campo.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Just to understand... Watkins is saying the playcaller will definitely be either Callahan or Garrett? Or that Callahan is saying if it's not me or Garrett I quit?

That's how he said it.

He just basically said he thinks garret will be the play caller.

He said if not it would be Callahan, he then threw in if an outsider came in and took the oc position and play calling then Callahan would leave.

He didn't elaborate.

He also did mention wade Wilson as a possible play caller, but it seemed he was pulling that out of thin air.

He said he didn't think it would be an outsider and added the only outsider they are going to talk to Is hue Jackson because his agent called Stephen and wants to talk to Jerry / Stephen for a spot on the staff.

Reaction score
If Callahan is throwing out ultimatums, uh... he can leave.

But if its Garrett continuing to call plays, well, then our offense will continue to be worthless.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Well odds are you aren't going to be able to acquire enough players along the OL in any given offseason to fix it. I'm guessing Dallas might get 1 guy this year.

Additionally, I'm curious as to if Garrett's play calling hasn't exacerbated the already porous OL. Perhaps with someone else calling plays that don't ask the OL to do things they cannot, the OL in place might be good enough to actually prevent themselves from fucking the team over. Not a strength at all, just no longer a boat anchor.

I do care who's calling plays because shittier OLs are out there. In 2010 the Bears had the worst OL in football and Cutler was sacked 52 times. His numbers are basically what Drew Bledsoe's were in 2005. Almost identical in TDs, INTs and yardage with about 20 yards per week in favor of Bledsoe. Their running game was not great, average 3.9 yards per carry.

Now, lets talk 2011 Dallas. We've said the OL was bad, but no way in hell it was as bad as Chicago's was from the previous year. Dallas had 5 fewer rushing TDs than Chicago's 2010 season but also had 0.5 yards more per carry than Chicago did. Advantage Dallas. Romo's 2011 season was very good with a rating of 102.5, again an advantage for Dallas. In total, Dallas had 1400 yards more of offense which is the equivalent to 30% of the entire Bears season total for yardage. (4600 to 6000).

And just so we don't go down the road of the Bears defense being responsible, the turnover ratio was the exact same. Both defenses did score 1 TD but Chicago had 3 ST scores.

All that combined, you wanna know what the scoring difference was strictly for the offense, excluding ST and defense? A little over 50 points on the season which works out to slightly more than 3 points per week.

So with far better QB play, an undoubtedly better OL, a more effective running game, and more talent across the board at the other skill positions (Johnny Knox/Earl Bennett/Hester #3 WR vs Dez/Austin/Robinson & Greg Olson vs Jason Witten), Dallas was able to get an extra FG per week? The 2011 Cowboys have the 2010 Bears outclassed in every single way. The only position at which the Bears had the upper hand was at RB and as I have said, Dallas had more yardage and a better average on the season (4.4 to 3.9).

3 fucking points. And who was the coordinator for the Bears in 2010? Mike Martz Mike FUCKING MARTZ!

This year, only 5 teams had more yards than Dallas. 14 teams had more points. That's a fucking imbalance. Dallas had about 250-300 yards more than both the Packers and the Giants but scored like 55 points less. Green Bay did have one extra non-offensive score.

I think a new play caller can help just as much as the OL. Plenty of teams had as many sacks as Dallas but didn't get hamstrung like Dallas did.

Compare the OLs for Washington between 2011 and 2012. Almost the exact same group between the two seasons and this year they were without Jamal Brown. That offense was horrid in 2011, ranking 26th. They return basically the same guys on OL and out of nowhere they jump towards the top of the league in scoring? I know PFF is flawed but Washington's RT graded out worse than Free. One of their guards graded out worse than Bernadette and the other was graded almost exactly the same as Washington's other guard. Dallas, equal to or better at 3 positions. Now, the Skins did have better C play and better LT play than Dallas did but the guy who started all 16 games in 2012 is the same guy that started all the games in 2011. I actually think he flexed to OG but that's beside the point.

Their OL went from absolute SHIT to one of the better units in the league and it had nothing to do with adding a bunch of strong players. They started basically the same guys minus their high-dollar RT. Granted they did have health on their side but nobody would ever suggest that health alone can produce good play. Their OL did better because they found a QB and a capable RB and they have a coach who's if given a capable RB can turn the guy into a monster. They have a coach with an actual plan and proven scheme. Dallas has a QB and a capable RB although he's been hurt. What don't they have? A coach with a proven scheme and a coach who is learning on the job.

Every year teams with far less capable QBs are hanging with Dallas. Hell, there were two seasons where Pennington and Henne were a part of the Wildcat offense and scored on par with Dallas.

You cannot tell me that a different OC wouldn't make a difference. The fact that Dallas is likely the only team to struggle as much with scoring when compared to their yardage is proof enough.

The names listed are likely some of the last you would want to hear but I'm convinced that they could do just as well, if not better.

This is all well and good, but unless you watched them play as extensively as you watched the Cowboys, its somewhat meaningless.

The fact is our offense does and has failed repeatedly for years because we cant run the ball consistently, especially in the redzone. They've struggled enormously to run the ball on first down and that sets up 2nd or 3rd and longs repeatedly. Then there's the utter failure they have running the ball in short yardage/GL situations.

Not only have the guys we've had out there the past few seasons been incapable of opening holes consistently, they are also overly penalized up front, soemthing else you fail to take into account.

I dont think someone else wouldnt be better than Garrett, but the fact is until they block better it is not going to matter who calls plays that much. I also think its pretty laughable that you downplay how good Washington's OL is compared to ours. They may have a bunch of journeymen type players there (minus the LT, who is pretty talented) but they are extremely well coached and execute their blocking scheme to near perfection. They also dont draw anywhere near the amount of penalties our guys do up front and arnt stuffed for anywhere near as many zero to negative yards plays as we are.

Top Bottom