Reaction score
Good post. It is making me rethink this issue. I can admit when I go off the rails a bit. The term "employee" is key to understanding this issue based on the ruling by the NLRB. We will see what the courts decide. In the personal example you gave, I believe you are a independent contractor, not an employee.
When an independent contractor agrees to do a job for someone, he becomes an "employee" for the period working and under the terms of the contract. You may quibble with the term used, but the effect is the same.

Reaction score
I love how forcing colleges to pay players is "letting the market decide". I hate to break this to you, but the market has already decided; people would rather receive what the college gives them than money. That is the market and it has spoken. Now people want the government to fix the market so the privileged group gets both what the market decides and what the government demands. North western should release their entire football team if they don't want to play.
This is some backwards ass thinking, trying to support your opinion.

The NCAA prohibiting universities from paying players is the exact opposite of letting the market decide. I really don't see how you could make a statement like that and expect to be taken seriously.

No one is asking the government to force universities to pay the players... yet. If the players start asking for actual pay, and the universities deny that request and continue exploiting their own brand of slave labor, then the government will likely have to get involved.

Reaction score
[video]http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:10681528[/video]

Jay Bilas eviscerates NCAA arguments.

Reaction score
Oh hey, it's ZrinDak. Care to get involved in the debate? Or you just wanna do your little drive-by and disappear again?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Not to speak for him, but when jeebus says the market has already decided, I assume he means that there is no "minor league" or 18-20 year old league that has started up for players who don't want to go to college. And there's absolutely nothing standing the way of that if someone wanted to do it.

Also, not to get into some kind of legal argument, but I'm surprised you'd say that an independent contractor and an employee are effectively the same? When someone hires you, you still aren't their employee. Also, independent contractors don't unionize... That's part of the point.

But I had to look back and see if that "slave labor" comment was for real... Did you mean that? Slaves? Really? Why do you minimize all the things they do get? I know if I could have played a sport for a free education rather than having to work shitty jobs in the summer to pay for it myself, I'd have done it in a heartbeat and been happy about it. Just like tons of other kids who work their butts off and hope they're good enough to make it.

Anyway, you said they weren't asking for actual pay, but that is their end game, right?

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
Oh hey, it's ZrinDak. Care to get involved in the debate? Or you just wanna do your little drive-by and disappear again?

You might be the whiniest person on this board. Congrats.

As an aside, I agree with you that college athletes should be compensated. But to compare them with slavery is pretty stupid. Even for you. I don't recall many slaves that were afforded the opportunity for free college degrees, and the opportunity to work towards multi-million dollar athletic careers.

Reaction score
The students are receiving a free college education, free food, and free housing.
Check the latest episode of Real Sports to see what kind of "education" these guys are getting.

It's like "No Child Left Behind" - Young Adult Edition.

Reaction score
You might be the whiniest person on this board. Congrats.
You gotta example of me being whiny? Or is it just that you don't like it when I call you out?

As an aside, I agree with you that college athletes should be compensated. But to compare them with slavery is pretty stupid. Even for you. I don't recall many slaves that were afforded the opportunity for free college degrees, and the opportunity to work towards multi-million dollar athletic careers.
I didn't compare it with "slavery" in the sense that you want to try to imply. I called it their own brand of slave labor. When you do a job for little to no pay, yes that is slave labor. Sorry if you don't like the dictionary definition.

How many slaves do you recall anyway?

Reaction score
Check the latest episode of Real Sports to see what kind of "education" these guys are getting.

It's like "No Child Left Behind" - Young Adult Edition.
Not to mention those of them that are going to make multi-millions don't give too hoots in hell about the education.

"Hey guys, come play football for us, I'm not gonna give you any money, but I'll give you all these books that you won't read. Doesn't that sound nice?"

Reaction score
Not to speak for him, but when jeebus says the market has already decided, I assume he means that there is no "minor league" or 18-20 year old league that has started up for players who don't want to go to college. And there's absolutely nothing standing the way of that if someone wanted to do it.
I don't think the non-existence of a minor leagues means that one wouldn't or couldn't succeed in the free market. IMO the only reason one doesn't exist in the NFL is because the league and the NCAA discourage it. The NFL doesn't have to have an organized minor league, because the NCAA does it for them. But if the NCAA did have to pay players for their services, maybe it wouldn't be so profitable for them, and maybe the NFL would then want a minor league system.

The NBA used to allow players to get drafted right out of high school. Then there were a large number of "busts" that the owners shelled out a lot of money for that didn't pan out. After that, the NBA said no mas. We're not going to spend this money on unproven talent. Now they can't be drafted until the owners have seen them play a year of college ball. It doesn't eliminate busts, but it's reducing the percentage. At least the NBA has the D-League, and maybe that will turn into a true minor league system. We'll see. Even if it does, there will still be a place for college basketball, and it would be the same for football. There would still be athletes who want the education and want to play sports for their school. If they chose to do it for the scholarship, then that would be their choice. But the way it's set up now, these kids are forced to go to school with no real other options, and I think that's shitty.

I agree there are plenty of 18-20 year old football players who don't want to go to college. So why do they go to college then?

Also, not to get into some kind of legal argument, but I'm surprised you'd say that an independent contractor and an employee are effectively the same? When someone hires you, you still aren't their employee. Also, independent contractors don't unionize... That's part of the point.
I didn't say they were the same. I said the effect is the same. An independent contractor provides a service to someone in exchange for money (usually). Unionization really has nothing to do with it for purposes of this part of the discussion. I'm talking about the macro here, not the micro.

But I had to look back and see if that "slave labor" comment was for real... Did you mean that? Slaves? Really? Why do you minimize all the things they do get? I know if I could have played a sport for a free education rather than having to work shitty jobs in the summer to pay for it myself, I'd have done it in a heartbeat and been happy about it. Just like tons of other kids who work their butts off and hope they're good enough to make it.
Don't fall for ZrinDak's ploy man. I didn't say NCAA football players were the same as slaves.

But take away the racial connotation and the sensationalism, and tell me that this is not "slave labor." You do a job for someone for no trade-able commodity. The "compensation" you do get is an education, that is non-transferable (which you may or may not need), and they give you food and a place to stay, again non-transferable. Oh and they provide all the equipment you need to do your job to the best of your ability. You work your butt off, are risking life and limb, and must follow every order and schedule given to you.

Yes, I am minimizing all the things that they get... because the things that they get are totally self-serving for the school. The school gets to claim they're students, so they don't have to pay them. The education that they get... first, the value of the education is completely over-inflated. Second, most of those professors don't care whether the athlete actually attends classes or not, or whether they learn anything. They'll give the athlete whatever grade they need to complete the course and keep the athlete in the system. So really, what is that kind of education worth?

The university doesn't lose anything, because the program pays the school for the cost of the players' tuition. Not to mention a bunch of rich boosters provide millions upon millions of dollars to the school for facilities and scholarships.

Of course, there are certain students who take their education seriously, and yes, getting that education is a benefit, especially for those who will not make millions... which is most of them. But I don't think the burden of that should fall on the backs of the players who don't care about the education and will make millions anyway.

Anyway, you said they weren't asking for actual pay, but that is their end game, right?
I don't know what this specific union's end game is. I can tell you I'm in favor of players being treated fairly according to free market principles, and not exploited to the tune of billions, probably trillions, to further the interests of the universities.

I will admit it's personal for me because I was a walk-on and didn't have a scholarship... I didn't have a rich family, and I knew I would have time to devote to my sport and to work to make spending money. I figured out real quick I wasn't going to be able to do that. And I paid for my school through loans. So even if I had a scholarship and my room and board were covered, I wouldn't be able to play and have any kind of social life.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
Just because some one asks to be paid, you don't have to pay them. By your logic, every pan handler is a slave, and the government should get involved.

There is nothing stopping colleges from leaving the NCAA and starting a pay for play league. But no, you want to force a system designed for colleges to cater to an elite 1% of athletes? Why should thy? If athletes don't like it they can go play for someone who wants to pay them.

Reaction score
Just because some one asks to be paid, you don't have to pay them. By your logic, every pan handler is a slave, and the government should get involved.
Not even close. Pan handlers are the exact opposite. They get paid for doing nothing.

There is nothing stopping colleges from leaving the NCAA and starting a pay for play league. But no, you want to force a system designed for colleges to cater to an elite 1% of athletes? Why should thy? If athletes don't like it they can go play for someone who wants to pay them.
Why would colleges WANT to pay players if they don't have to?

And I'm not catering to anyone. That's the difference between you and me. You cater to the universities.

Reaction score
Would a player even have to enroll to play on the team?

If it were a true free market system like Jay Bilas has been advocating for, I would presume the schools would require the athletes to go to class to try to maintain the guise of student-athlete. His ideas about the primary terms of the contract are pretty interesting. A three-year term or so would eliminate one and dones. Include a non-compete clause so they couldn't declare early for the pros.

Bigger and richer schools would have the advantage, but that's already the case. If it were done that way, you might get even more donors/boosters who would think they could make a difference by giving a little more money.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Who was that running back who couldn't even read? I think he played for the redskins.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Well I guess we aren't going to agree on this but I think you're vastly underestimating the value of the education.

And no, the school can't make the players use that opportunity. But it is provided to them, and they get tutors and all kinds of help that the average student never gets. If the player throws that away, that's on them. It's no different than if you gave them 100k and they gambled it all away.

Finally, it seems like you're focusing only on the future NFL stars who are going to make it big in the league. But that's only a tiny percentage of players. I don't see how the school is "using" a third string guard who only gets on the field in blowouts and never has any chance of playing in the NFL.

Top Bottom