Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Last week I posted the difference in how often New England had their TEs on the field compared to Dallas. Pretty much night and day. Again, comparing a 4 years span for Dallas versus the current 3 year run that New England is working with.

New England had Gronk on the field about 85% of the time that he was available to play. This includes the games where he went out early and lost a ton of possible snaps as PFF doesn't stop counting snaps possible if the player is hurt on snap 1. If you only get 1 snap out of 80, that's what they're counting. Because of those I think he lost about 10% in terms of snaps played. He'd be around 94%, certainly over 90% if they weren't counted against him.

New England had Hernandez on the field about 73% of time. He too was knocked out of a game and I think it cost him about 4-5%.

Dallas on the other hand was about 95% of the time for Witten and 45% of time for Bennett.

Here's what their snaps look like when you break them into receiving and blocking assignments.

80e6ae50-206a-46ba-b98a-1eba819c0a31.jpg

Witten and Gronk are pretty close but look at Bennett and Hernandez. Literally 100% mirror image. Bennett blocked 60% of the time he is on the field whereas Hernandez is running routes 60% of the time.

Total Plays:
  • Gronk: 2912
  • Hernandez: 2288
  • Witten: 4313
  • Bennett: 1885

The interesting part for New England is that even though Gronk has 624 more plays, he and Hernandez have almost the exact same amount of receiving plays. 1356 for Gronk, 1368 for Hernandez (In comparison to over 2200 for Witten and 770 for Bennett). Gronk however has 455 more run blocking assignments and 195 more pass blocking assignments. Hernandez has like 17 career carries so I think that covers the rest.

Given that Gronk is on the field more when compared to Hernandez, it's not unforeseeable that the bulk of these blocking assignments comes outside of the 2TE set. That said, what you would have when 2TEs are out there is a higher percentage of Gronk receiving than he current gets. There could be plays where Hernandez fills in but just assuming those are minimal. That pulls him closer to Hernandez in terms of receiving and essentially what you have is both guys receiving over 50% of the time with Hernandez going out 60% of the time. This is how the 2TE should be run. You cannot anchor a guy to the line 60% of the time and expect to get mismatches on the opposite side.

Dallas didn't even use Bennett half the time and when they did put him on the field they asked him to block 60% of the time. Defenses won't respect that. They'll simply focus on the other TE as though he is the only TE until proven that they have to account for the other guy. Dallas never made Bennett a threat simply by having him sit on the line all game.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Bennett was a moron, but Garrett never had a clue how to use him. I expect the same from Escobar.

Reaction score
Bennett was a moron, but Garrett never had a clue how to use him. I expect the same from Escobar.

Your posts usually make the most sense to me, but i am curious to why you believe this. If Bennett was a failure, what would make Gavin a success?

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Your posts usually make the most sense to me, but i am curious to why you believe this. If Bennett was a failure, what would make Gavin a success?

I don't expect success from Escobar, at least initially. I don't think Garrett will be able to figure out how to use him. At least not enough to warrant a second round pick

Top Bottom