Mr.Po

Reaction score
Now you too can experience it.

Losing to Vanderbilt is one thing but to have them look like the second coming of Alabama North while appearing like a hapless bunch of under coached underwhelming clowns with a big pay day bowl on the line is inexcusable. He's Derek Dooley with a crew cut.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Losing to Vanderbilt is one thing but to have them look like the second coming of Alabama North while appearing like a hapless bunch of under coached underwhelming clowns with a big pay day bowl on the line is inexcusable. He's Derek Dooley with a crew cut.

Vandy is not the dreg they normally are though. They've played a few teams tough this year.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Vandy is not the dreg they normally are though. They've played a few teams tough this year.

Yes they are improved and a scrappy team under the direction of Derek Mason but TN literally made a punchless offense look like juggernaut setting school records along the way at our expense. Inexcusable and downright sorry display of coaching. Coaching ineptitude at its finest.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if the current regime that hired the buffoon hasnt probably discussed that option.

UT is getting a new Athletic director at he first of the year and one that hopefully understands the value of the football program and doesn't settle for this level of substandard leadership with the program.

Reaction score
Mr. Po.... is there any talk of Butch getting the ax? I saw that twitter link but that was mostly angry fans. Any chance he really gets canned?

I really hated the cornball "these guys are champions of life" bs and to follow it up with that loss.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Saw Butch Davis was coming back to college coaching. Wasn't he on the list for the Vols a couple times?

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Mr. Po.... is there any talk of Butch getting the ax? I saw that twitter link but that was mostly angry fans. Any chance he really gets canned?

I really hated the cornball "these guys are champions of life" bs and to follow it up with that loss.

Hearing and reading a few things. Don't think he is going to get fired based on the financial ramifications but the pressure for him to take a buyout is starting to build up steam. This article hits the nail on the head pretty much. TIFWIW but the name Lane Kiffin is slowly building momentum.

http://gridironnow.com/tennessee-butch-jones-buyout/

Is a buyout the way forward for Butch Jones and Vols?
By Dave Hooker Posted on November 28, 2016

It’s time to officially come to the realization that Butch Jones almost assuredly can’t take Tennessee to a championship level.

It doesn’t take an aerospace engineer to see what has become apparent. Jones has shown an amazing ability to blow games throughout his four seasons at Tennessee. Jones’ teams have gotten off to slow starts, failed to finish games and Jones is actually 2-2 against Vanderbilt. Yes, Vanderbilt.

Now, before you say I’m piling on, I’m not the only one. National analysts have questioned Jones. Former players ripped him after Saturday’s game. Worst of all, Jones appears to be cracking under the pressure.

Jones repeatedly has struggled to maintain his composure despite being so image-conscious. His post-game news conference after Saturday’s loss at Vandy consisted of only a handful of questions and lasted about four minutes.

So should Tennessee fire Jones? Not a chance. UT’s athletic department would owe him and his staff more than $10 million. Tennessee only recently improved its financial standing. This isn’t the time to go back in the hole.

The best move for all parties involved is for Jones to take less of a buyout and walk away. I know that sounds crazy but put yourself in Jones’ position. He’s not hurting for money and can convince a smaller school that he can rebuild their program. Jones may not be able to win a championship at a high level, but he’s proven, at Central Michigan and Cincinnati, he can win with less pressure. Happiness should be worth some of that buyout. Jones can take the financial hit.

Former Tennessee coach Derek Dooley reportedly did the same thing one year before he was fired. Think Tennessee would like to have that year back? Opting out doesn’t make a coach a quitter. It makes them realistic about the situation.

Jones isn’t the only Tennessee coach to feel the heat and struggle with its intensity. Former UT coach Johnny Majors was forced to have open heart surgery. Former UT coach Phillip Fulmer looks 10 years younger since he was fired. Former UT coach Lane Kiffin only lasted one season and was dumbfounded that fans were upset he was leaving.

If Jones thinks things are going to get better, he’s being overly optimistic. He has to replace a quarterback, his top defensive back, an emotional leader at linebacker and his top two tailbacks, one of whom quit a bit more than halfway through the season.

Jalen Hurd’s departure is one of the many pieces of evidence that Jones is wearing on his players, just like his clichés are wearing on UT’s fan base. The amount of transfers has been startling under Jones.

Jones has nothing to be ashamed of if he steps aside for another job with a more modest buyout. He’s already had a great career and that will most likely continue even if it’s at a lower level. Misery is no way to live – for Jones or UT’s fan base.

(You can follow Dave Hooker on Twitter @TheDaveHooker)

Reaction score
Vols DE Derek Barnett 'not really too worried' about NFL Draft

Danny Parker
12/13/2016

Derek Barnett has a professional football career ahead of him. See what the Tennessee defender said about the weighing of options.

Decisions to depart college football early for the professional ranks is a poisonous venom affecting more and more teams across the nation.

Tennessee defensive end Derek Barnett, who projects by most to be a first-round pick, has the anecdote.

“I’ll probably make a decision after the season,” Barnett told InsideTennessee on Monday. “Right now, I’m not really too worried too much about the NFL Draft. I’m worried about just finishing this season off on the right way. Then, when we do that, then I’ll start thinking about the next step and what I want to do.”

The Antioch native has a secure place in Tennessee history not only as one of the premier defenders in 120 years of football but among the best Volunteers, period. Becoming the Southeastern Conference’s first player ever to record at least 10 sacks in each of his first three seasons wasn’t enough and Barnett’s junior campaign has been his best, resulting in 50 tackles (35 solo), 18 tackles for loss, 12 sacks, 12 quarterback hurries, two forced fumbles and an interception.

Barnett’s 32 career sacks tie him with legend Reggie White in Tennessee’s record book. His 51 tackles for loss are the same number as White also and just two behind leader Leonard Little.

Those numbers place Barnett ahead of former Vols defensive linemen that went on to be NFL Draft first-round selections, including Doug Atkins, Robert Ayers, Steve DeLong, Shaun Ellis, Dick Evey, Justin Harrell, Albert Haynesworth, John Henderson, Todd Kelly, Chris Mims and Dan Williams.

The former Scout four-star prospect isn’t just piling up numbers against weak competition. All 12 of his sacks this season have come against Southeastern Conference foes, including a sack-fumble after beating Alabama left tackle and Outland Trophy winner Cam Robinson.

A hard-to-find combination of natural pass-rush ability off the edge paired with the physicality and stature to defend against the run, Barnett is a three-down defender that professional organizations are sure to find attractive — if they put on the film.

The Vols junior does get “sack thirsty” at times and has a tendency to receive false-start penalties. He also gets too far upfield on occasion, leaving athletic quarterbacks with open cutback lanes and susceptibility to screens.

The intangibles are where Barnett’s made his most profound advancements since former teammate and leader Curt Maggitt moved on to the NFL. Barnett isn’t one of the four team captains but has led Team 120 from Day 1 of its inception, even challenging teammates in a physical manner for disrespect of a coach. Barnett is often seen pacing the sideline to provide motivation and gets into the earhole of teammates for ill-advised mental mistakes. He also shrugs off individual accolades and consistently points to team concepts and goals.

Barnett plays to the echo of the whistle and isn’t afraid to let foes know that it’s going to be a long afternoon.

He is the first Tennessee position player to be tabbed All-America since Eric Berry in 2009, receiving honors from the Associated Press (first team), Sporting News (second team), Football Writers Association of America (second team) and the Walter Camp Foundation (first team).

"I don't think it's an individual accomplishment,” Barnett said. “I think it's a team accomplishment. I told my teammates that. I just said, 'thank you' to my linebackers, defensive backs and defensive line, who have to work with me in the back end covering guys. So, it's not an individual accomplishment. It's a team accomplishment."

Reaction score
When this season started back in September, I had high hopes we'd be able to reach the epic heights that is playing in the prestigious Music City Bowl! Through hard work, dedication, and iron like resolve in the face of gridiron battle, these Volunteers were able to get there. This is what dreams are made of.

:errf

Reaction score
Hats off to Derek Barnett!

Got the school record, previously held by Reggie White, for sacks.

He will be a better pro than Myles Garrett.

Reaction score
National Signing Day...

One 5 star recruit
One 4 star recruit
Countless 3 and 2 star recruits.

We're now basically like Kentucky and Vanderbilt.

7th best class in the SEC.

:facepalm

Last edited:
Top Bottom