Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Warmack, Cooper, Richardson and Vacarro are all gone. Fuck Broaddus, we like Fluker. And yes, I'm whoring out to back to back LSU picks.

18) D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama
47) Eric Reid, S, LSU
80) Bennie Logan, DT, LSU
114) Le'veon Bell, RB, Michigan St.
151) Oday Aboushi, G, Virginia
185) Aaron Mellette, WR, Elon

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
not horrible.

I'm just not excited about Fluker at 18. This is like Barron for me. I like the player but think we can do better with our pick.

A lot of guys on this board like Logan and Bell. Logan didn't impress me, but I'm overly critical of LSU D-linemen. They rotate too much so I don't get to see how high a motor the player has.

As far as Bell, I like his size but I do not like that he tries to make tacklers miss too often. Not what I want from a power back.

Aboushi seems like a steal there and Mellette is intriguing. Reid is the one pick I would be super excited about. Overall, your mock helps fill a lot of our roster holes.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The thing about Fluker to me is he's a very good run blocker. Exactly what were missing on our OL.

Yeah, he could use some work on his pass blocking because he has such long arms but Being 6-4 339 lbs he could turn out to be a mauler. Callahan will coach'em up.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Warmack, Cooper, Richardson and Vacarro are all gone. Fuck Broaddus, we like Fluker. And yes, I'm whoring out to back to back LSU picks.

47) Eric Reid, S, LSU

Aboushi likely won't last that long and he's a bit of a projection to guard.

Oh yeah, too many entitled LSU players.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I like this mock. Fluker is my kind of lineman. I wish theybwould dump Callahan and his Zone blocking. They could go back to some huge, nasty bastards that can take over a game.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Aboushi likely won't last that long and he's a bit of a projection to guard.

Oh yeah, too many entitled LSU players.

He's projected to go anywhere between the 5-6 rounds. He also fits the zone blocking scheme. This guy is an underrated player IMO. He'd probably play guard at the next level.

Yeah, I mentioned I was whoring out to LSU with back to back picks. Oh well, a man can dream.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I do not understand the Bennie Logan love.

I don't hate him, but he's an average try hard character guy, not a difference maker, which this line will need.

If they are truly going to be a Kiffin defense, one of the two tackles has to make plays. And no, Ratliff isn't that guy anymore no matter how much everyone pretends he is.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I like this mock. Fluker is my kind of lineman. I wish theybwould dump Callahan and his Zone blocking. They could go back to some huge, nasty bastards that can take over a game.

Fluker would be a nice consolation prize if we weren't able to land Warmack/Cooper. If it doesn't workout with Callahan and the zone blocking scheme this year, there will be a change. In fact there will a lot of changes.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
jackiejungs is dead? :tear

I keep hearing that Fluker is "slow footed."

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I do not understand the Bennie Logan love.

I don't hate him, but he's an average try hard character guy, not a difference maker, which this line will need.

If they are truly going to be a Kiffin defense, one of the two tackles has to make plays. And no, Ratliff isn't that guy anymore no matter how much everyone pretends he is.

I dunno, maybe it's because he played well with Brockers and he's a three-technique pass rusher at the next level. I'll admit he needs to add to his frame but he's very fast and athletic.

Logan wouldn't be my first choice at DT but in this mock he is. I also like Richardson and Syl. Williams. As far as Ratliff goes I don't have much love for him either.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score

Nah, they're saying his arms are too long and he'll struggle in pass blocking. I don't always get the short arm and long arm debates.

Joe Thomas is a beast at left tackle and his arms are short. You just have to have a strong upper body. I think that's why some hate on Pugh.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Fluker would be a nice consolation prize if we weren't able to land Warmack/Cooper. If it doesn't workout with Callahan and the zone blocking scheme this year, there will be a change. In fact there will a lot of changes.

I hope Callahan and his zone blocking fail this year and Jerry goes on another rampage house cleaning. Bring back huge nasty linemen that wear the defense down. This finesse zone blocking shit is for fags.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I hope Callahan and his zone blocking fail this year and Jerry goes on another rampage house cleaning. Bring back huge nasty linemen that wear the defense down. This finesse zone blocking shit is for fags.

Much like most things under Jerry we go unconventional with whatever we try to do. We signed and drafted smaller, quicker 4-3 players while we ran a 3-4. A year before switching to the 1 defense that relies less on cornerbacks we invest heavily in two cornerbacks. Last year, we wanted to go zone blocking scheme and sign big bodies who can't move (Livings and Bernadeau).

If we were to sign a Winston or Clabo, and then draft guys like Jonathan Cooper, Terron Armstead, Kyle Long, etc it would go a long way in utilizing a zone blocking scheme.

Last edited:

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score

I am glad the Jackielungs ID is gone. I didn't feel comfortable with Booze using my first name. I think Booze is a Cowboys board legend, kinda like Hostile. To go by any other name is just not right.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

47) Eric Reid, S, LSU

History proves: A guard WILL be available for the Cowboys at 18

The consensus on the Mocks and on the site is that the two guards won't be available when the Cowboys pick at 18. For that to be the case, more than 20 years of drafting history will have to be overturned.

So far this century, no G has been drafted before the 15th pick. In those 13 drafts, only 4 guards have been picked before pick 18 (picks 15-17). In each of those cases, the next guard was not taken till the 2nd round or later. See below for table.

Bottom line, there have not been two Guards drafted inside the 18th pick since 1988 - 25 drafts ago! (Dave Cadigan at 8 and Eric Moore at 10, by NYJ and NYG respectively. Ironically the best guard that year was taken at 19 - Randall McDaniel - so who is the next best guard after Warmack & Cooper?....)

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013...guard-will-be-available-for-the-cowboys-at-18

That is a lot of history to overturn. Many Guards have been touted as top 10 picks only to fall on draft day. David DeCastro being Exhibit A. Furthermore, the Guards have proven to be pretty safe picks with the vast majority proven to be very solid players starting a number of games for their teams (with DeCastro being an apparent exception at this early stage)

Maybe history will be defeated this year. It is a very strange draft with an almost total absence of high quality offensive skill position players (QB, WR, RB).

But count me as among those hoping we do get one of those Guards at 18. History suggests at least one of them will be there - Question is, will the Cowboys take them if they are there?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can foresee this nightmare scenario: both Warmack and Cooper are sitting there at #18, and Jerry still doesn't take either one.

... as much as others see that both guards being gone before 18.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
not horrible.

I'm just not excited about Fluker at 18. This is like Barron for me. I like the player but think we can do better with our pick.

So tell us who you do like. Similar to last year, I'd like to see you put something in print instead of just bitching and moaning regardless of who we draft.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
For the last time, history has absolutely nothing to do with this draft.

This draft is decidedly different than any in recent memory. There might not be a QB picked in the top-20. There almost assuredly wont be a RB picked in the top 20. There's a chance only 1 or 2 WR's (at the most) go in the top-20. One TE might go top-20.

When you have a draft so lean at the top in skill position players, you still have to fill those slots with somebody.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So tell us who you do like. Similar to last year, I'd like to see you put something in print instead of just bitching and moaning regardless of who we draft.

go fuck yourself David.

like there isn't a million posts about me liking Cooper, Eric Reid, Jonathan Franklin, Gio Bernard, etc. Quit being a dick.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
go fuck yourself David.

like there isn't a million posts about me liking Cooper, Eric Reid, Jonathan Franklin, Gio Bernard, etc. Quit being a dick.

if you only like 4 players, kinda supports my argument

Top Bottom