dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think he's been by far the most accurate on the Cowboys regarding the draft for probably close to 10 years now. So for us QB hopers at #4, this is potentially good news.

Mosley: The Cowboys are bluffing when it comes to their thoughts on drafting a QB at No. 4

By Matt Mosley , Special Contributor Contact Matt Mosley on Twitter: @mattmosley

The only thing standing in the way of Jerry Jones possibly taking a quarterback with the fourth overall pick in this April's draft is Tony Romo. And Jones made it clear at the NFL combine that he believed Romo had plenty of tread left on his delicate clavicle.

I believe now more than ever that Jones was full of it when he made those comments. The Cowboys haven't brought in a legitimate backup to Romo for one simple reason: They are thinking seriously about selecting either Carson Wentz or Jared Goff.

I believe this based on the indifference they've shown to the backup spot in free agency and the whispers coming from Valley Ranch. A report surfaced this weekend that former Mississippi State quarterback Dak Prescott will be in town to meet with the Cowboys on Sunday. The organization loves the fact that Prescott captained his team four of the five years he was on campus. The fact that he was arrested on DUI charges recently may cause him to fall in the draft, but this is the land of second (and third) chances. Former Eagles personnel man and current ESPN analyst Louis Riddick told 103.3 FM ESPN's "Afternoon Show with Cowlishaw & Mosley" there's almost no way you can watch film of Prescott in college and project him as a starter in the NFL. The Cowboys love his intangibles and I've had one AFC scout tell me that Prescott's quick release reminds him of Aaron Rodgers'. There's a chance now the Cowboys could have Prescott in the third or fourth rounds of the draft.

A lot of experts have the Cowboys taking Ohio State defensive end Joey Bosa at No. 4, but I'm told the Cowboys are more enamored with Florida State cornerback Jalen Ramsey at this point in the process.

Jared Goff, the man with the smallish hands, impressed scouts with his arm strength and accuracy at his pro day last week. The Cleveland Browns (picking second overall) doused a football in water just to see how it would impact Goff's throws. By all accounts, it had zero impact. I believe the Cowboys are devoting a lot of time to studying both Goff and Wentz at this point. It would help their cause if the Browns traded for Colin Kaepernick, but nothing has happened on that front. The Cowboys have a better feel for Wentz because they coached him at the Senior Bowl. It's believed that head coach Jason Garrett prefers Wentz to Goff after spending so much time with him, but I wouldn't rule out Goff to the Cowboys if Wentz goes to the Browns. I've found that scouts across the league seem to lean more to Wentz, while a lot of coaches prefer Goff. That probably has a lot to do with Goff having faced stiffer competition in college.

The one thing I don't see happening is the Cowboys trading up to land one of the quarterbacks. Right now, I'm hearing they like three or four position players more than Wentz. If the draft happened today, I think Jones would pull the trigger on one of the quarterbacks. But a lot can change over the next month.

For now, I think it will be between the two quarterbacks and Ramsey at No. 4. And if Jerry tries to argue to the contrary, I may believe him even less...if that's possible.

Now, get back to your brackets.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Personally I would love if they took Wentz or Goff at 4. With all talk of them not even considering a QB at 4 how funny would it be if they selected Wentz/Goff at 4 AND Dak Prescott in the 4th round.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Personally I would love if they took Wentz or Goff at 4. With all talk of them not even considering a QB at 4 how funny would it be if they selected Wentz/Goff at 4 AND Dak Prescott in the 4th round.

Are they thinking of moving him to TE or FB or something?

Otherwise no, not interested in the least.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Are they thinking of moving him to TE or FB or something?

Otherwise no, not interested in the least.

I didn't say it would be good, just funny.

I could see Knee jerk Jerry saying... Hey, them Redskins found them a QB when they drafted two the same year. That appears to be the way go, let's do it too!

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I didn't say it would be good, just funny.

I could see Knee jerk Jerry saying... Hey, them Redskins found them a QB when they drafted two the same year. That appears to be the way go, let's do it too!

I'm ok with the idea, just not with Prescott and probably not in the 4th. Would definitely not be opposed to spending one of our four 6th rounders on a 3rd QB.

DCFanInVA80

Spectator
Reaction score
Fellas my ideal draft would go something like this....

Trade down to the 7th spot and grab Elliott

2nd round grab William Jackson III

Then I would gladly take Cardale Jones in the 3rd round.

Daillest88

Spectator
Reaction score

Agree with the first 2.. William the 3rd is a baller.. With the 3rd pick id like to get Karl Joseph.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
This^^ also Elliot or wentz.. Elliot would have the biggest impact fir the next few years.. Could actually keep Romo upright.
I agree.

Welcome to the DCU, Daillest88!

Mosley's laboring under the same fallacy many are, thinking there's a strategic "bluff" bone anywhere in Jerry's body though. I'd LOVE for us to snag Wentz and Zeke, but I don't see that happening with this bunch of idiots running this team.

Daillest88

Spectator
Reaction score
I agree.

Welcome to the DCU, Daillest88!

Mosley's laboring under the same fallacy many are, thinking there's a strategic "bluff" bone anywhere in Jerry's body though. I'd LOVE for us to snag Wentz and Zeke, but I don't see that happening with this bunch of idiots running this team.

Thanks!! I dunno I could actually see us taking Zeke. For the simple fact he believes Romo can play another 5 years.. That would give him the best chance.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Good with Zeke

Love Jackson III but I think he will go in the 1st round now.

Not interested in QB's with peanuts for brains though.

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Don't think the kid from ND State will be on the board at 4. Goff? probably, personally I'd rather have Bosa or Ramsey. Trade down with SF and take Elliot if and only if we don't sign Alfred Morris on Monday.

If we resign Hardy at DE, then go after Ramsey.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I hope we take a QB at 4. But ever since last draft where Jerry said we wouldn't take a RB and we didn't I fear he might actually be telling the truth when he says we won't take a QB this season.

It's a new sensation worrying that he might actually be telling the truth as opposed to worrying that he was telling lies all these years

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I hope we take a QB at 4. But ever since last draft where Jerry said we wouldn't take a RB and we didn't I fear he might actually be telling the truth when he says we won't take a QB this season.

It's a new sensation worrying that he might actually be telling the truth as opposed to worrying that he was telling lies all these years

I don't think he said we WOULDNT take a RB, he said they didn't feel they HAD to take a RB.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I don't think he said we WOULDNT take a RB, he said they didn't feel they HAD to take a RB.

jerruh should moonlight with the cia developing new codes. They would be absolutely unbreakable because NO one would be able to figure out what was being said

Top Bottom