dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Mort & Schefter's Week 1 notebook: How Dak, Brady are similar

Adam Schefter
and Chris Mortensen

In our first notebook of the season, we hit on how Dak Prescott spent his offseason, the true price it took for the Eagles to move up to No. 2 in April's draft, another potential gem for the Seahawks and more.

Dak Prescott isn't Tom Brady, but ...

Rookie quarterback Dak Prescott shares at least three or four traits with Tom Brady, in the eyes of renowned performance trainer Tom Shaw, who has worked with both in their post-collegiate days.

"I was up there [with the Patriots] when Brady just got out of [Michigan]," Shaw said. "He may not have had the same athletic and physical ability at the identical stage as Dak, but what Tom had was a work ethic and desire to get better that was undeniable. Dak has the exact same work ethic as Tom.

For a 30-day stretch, the Patriots QB won't take an NFL snap. But don't despair. Every day we'll give you a little bit of Tom Brady -- what he's up to, his career, his team, how we got to this point.

"It extends to every imaginable area. Dak wants to be the best. Tom wanted to be best and became the best. Everybody says they want to be the best, but is it really the most important thing in your life when you wake up in the morning and you're breathing? For Tom it was that way, and it is that way with Dak."

Prescott, a fourth-round pick who has been pushed into the starting role because of Tony Romo's injury, trained during the offseason with Shaw at ESPN's Wide World of Sports Complex at Disney World in Orlando, Florida. It was not just restricted to physical training. Ike Taylor (Steelers) and Abe Elam (Browns), two former NFL defensive backs known for their acumen, held intensive skull sessions with Prescott about understanding defensive coverages. Prescott also drove to see Jon Gruden to raise his level of understanding several notches.

"If Dak could've worked with Jon 25 times in 25 days, he would have done it," Shaw said. "Dak craves it. Those are not just words, and I have my own friends at the Cowboys who echo the exact same thing."

Shaw says his best friend is Cowboys strength and conditioning coach Mike Woicik, who has six Super Bowl rings from his work with the Cowboys (1990-96) and Patriots (2000-10) before he returned to Dallas in 2011.

"Mike would tell you the exact same thing about the similarities between the way Tom Brady and Dak go about their work," Shaw said. "I'm not saying Dak will be the next Tom Brady. But he has the tools, he has the work ethic, he has the mind and he has the competitive desire."

Shaw also believes that Prescott's and Brady's similar post-draft mindset also sticks out.

"Dak has a chip on his shoulder because of where he was drafted, just like Tom," he said. "Tom has never forgotten it. Dak will never forget it."

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
What a friggin dream this guy might turn out to be.

I wish we had a GM with the same hunger

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If he fails it definitely won't be from lack of effort.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Wouldn't break my heart if all this hype could come out after he's won a few games. I bet opposing coaches and defenses are loving these stories.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Wouldn't break my heart if all this hype could come out after he's won a few games. I bet opposing coaches and defenses are loving these stories.

I bet what they'd love even more is lining up against Matt Cassell or Kellen Moore

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Brady is Brady because of two things. Right read and ball is exactly where it needs to be 95% of the time. If Dak could do both those things 80% of the time he'll be all right.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Brady is Brady because of two things. Right read and ball is exactly where it needs to be 95% of the time. If Dak could do both those things 80% of the time he'll be all right.

Brady is Brady also because of the HOF coach he's been with since his career started.

Top Bottom