Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
1st (18)-- Datone Jones, DL, UCLA

Big, athletic, powerful lineman is moving quickly up the draft boards. I could even envision a team taking him higher than 18th ala Tyson Alualu. Just like Alualu when he came out, Datone Jones' NFL position is uncertain as he has played both DE and DT in the 4-3 and 3-4. He posted great tackle for loss numbers his final 3 years at UCLA, including an astounding 19 in 2012. Although he didn't post great sack numbers during his collegiate career, I attribute that to him being moved around so often and playing in a 3-4 more than for a lack of ability. We could definitely use more pressure players and Jones is exactly what the doctor ordered. BTW we seem to like guys who are able to play multiple positions: Bobby Carpenter, Alan Ball and more recently, Alex Albright, although I see Jones' best fit at the 3-tech, DT spot.

2nd (47) -- Aaron Dobson, WR, Marshall

I'll get right down to it and say that I see a lot of Dez Bryant in Dobson. Just the way he runs his routes; fast but in control, the hands, and even how he runs after the catch; it's very similar. The reason he isn't going to be Dez Bryant is because the body control and the natural strength and bulk that Bryant possesses just isn't there for him. Still doesn't mean he can't be a very good #2 WR on the outside which is something we desperately need, esp in this offense.

3rd (80) -- Robert Alford, CB, Southeastern Louisiana

My pet cat here and we probably won't even be looking at a CB this high considering the contract we paid out for Carr, the picks we gave up for Mo and having Scandrick already under a pretty lengthy contract. But I don't care, this kid is Charles Tillman reincarnate; a taller CB who can turn and run, is good at dropping back into a zone, but yet at the same time is physical enough to line up and press a receiver. He even blitzed on occasion. During Senior Bowl practices this guy ripped the ball 3 times from receivers, which was a defensive back staple at Rod Marinelli's last coaching stop, Chicago. You can never have enough cornerbacks, and he even looked good returning a kickoff in the Senior Bowl game. We could definitely find a place for a Robert Alford here.

4th (111) -- Sio Moore, OLB, Connecticut

With the switch to the 4-3 defense I'm finally able to add another one of my pet cats onto the list, Sio Moore. What originally caught my eye about him was that he does almost everything you can imagine a defensive player doing, and quite well too. He was all over the field for a pretty good Connecticut group defense; dropping into coverage (17 passes defensed the last 2 years), running sideline to sideline, stopping backs in their tracks in the backfield (44 tackles for loss in his career). He even lined up as an edge rusher on 3rd downs, collecting 14 sacks the last 2 years. He played in both college all-star games, particularly standing out in the Shrine Game which garnered him a last minute invite to the Senior Bowl, where he flashed both his edge rushing skills and strength on a sack, or near sack, I can't quite remember the result of the play. With his versatility, we are most certainly going to be able to find a place for him.

5th (144) -- Zac Dysert, QB, Miami (OH)

Bear with me here, but I'm getting a lot of Tom Brady vibes with this dude. I say that because Brady sat and watched a handful of QBs go ahead of him for whatever reason before he was ultimately plucked out of the 6th round, and I feel that the same will happen to Dysert here. What separates Dysert from the run-of-the-mill late round QBs though is that Dysert seemingly has all the tools. He just looks like an NFL QB. He has a strong arm, he can throw well on the move, and had pretty good collegiate production. But what most of all separates Zac is that he was the only 3-time Captain of the Miami (OH) football program. This is the same football university that sent Ben Roethlesberger into the 1st round. He's a gamer, and many people go back and point to the Ohio State game this year as an example of that. Despite being severly outmatched, Dysert came out early and made things interesting. Now I'm not saying that Dysert is going to go on to match the success that Tom Brady has been able to accumulate, but I think this is a good move. Also, just like Brady, something in college hampered Dysert's ability to grow and showcase himself. With Brady it was having to split time with Drew Henson, and for Dysert it was Miami going from a Pro Style offense to a pistol type of offense his Senior year. Dysert had to change his whole game around, so to put up the numbers that he did is quite impressive.

6th (175) -- Cooper Taylor, S, Richmond

Our John Lynch. Minus the 2" height differential, they are basically the same person. Both are/were super smart; coaches at the Shrine Game raved about his ability to quickly digest what they were telling him and that is what most of all made John Lynch such a great player. He didn't have great speed, but he was able to go out there, read the action on the field and arrive at the ball/ball-carrier a split second faster than everyone else. Taylor also showed some surprising and very good fluidity in defensive back drills at the Shrine Game, and of course, the dude is your typical enforcer who can rejuvenate defenses with a big hit. Taylor has some injury red flags which is why he played for Richmond after starting out on the Georgia Tech program.

So there you have it.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
From your mocks, it's pretty well-noted that you don't favor/value Romo.

Let's not give Romo any protection; however, let's give him another weapon at WR. Brilliant.

More CBs... just what we need. With a 3rd roudner at that.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I do value Romo, just don't want another situation like we had after Troy Aikman retired:

starting bare from the QB cupboard.

We should be thinking about drafting QBs at least once every 2 years.

I think Callahan incorporating more shorter throws is going to help out this Oline tremendously. With a middle of the pack line, we should be good to go on O. There's just too much talent on O, now that we have Dobson, for that not to be the case.

Reaction score
Dysert won't be there in the fifth. Can I also say this mock is plain full of feggotry also? Well, I just did. No, I won't explain myself.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Why not? With the influx of Juniors, that's naturally going to push him way down the board. Then there is the fact that there are QBs people like more than him.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Like Datone Jones a lot but 18 feels too high for him. Have to see more on Dobson but that also seems high. Your 3rd rounder is a beast. Not a fan of 4th, 5th, and 6th round picks.

Reaction score
A (much) better mock by me:

1. Jonathan Cooper, G, UNC
2. Justin Hunter, WR, UT
3. Jonathan Franklin, RB, UCLA
4. David Bass, DE, Missouri Western
5. Nick Kasa, TE, Colorado
6. Montori Hughes, DT, Tennessee-Martin

Reaction score

2. Justin Hunter, WR, UT

Shit the more I look at this mock, the more I love it.

We get a stud day one starter at guard in rd one.

We get an elite, Alvin Harper-ish receiver (but who isnt' lazy like Harper) in round 2. Tall, lean, fast, acrobatic. Great at catching the ball at its highest point.

I actually don't like Franklin. I don't know why I put him in hte mock.

In the 5th round, we get a dominant blocking TE whos still learning the position and could develop into a solid #2 TE behind Hannah (when Witten retires)

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Yes. Let us compile a list of team needs in order from greatest to least and plug players in those spots. Thats how nfl teams draft all the time.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score

2. Justin Hunter, WR, UT

That is actually a really good draft. And yeah, I'm not too keen on Franklin either.

Reaction score

2. Justin Hunter, WR, UT

Well I like how you over-hauled the pass rush here

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Saw this mock off of BTB.

18: Ezekiel Ansah, DE, Brigham Young
47: Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky
80: Brennan Williams, OT, North Carolina
111: Brandon Williams, DT, Missouri Southern
144: J.J. Wilcox, SS, Georgia Southern
175: Miguel Maysonet, RB, Stony Brook

I could go for a draft like this. Don't know too much about Maysonet.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Saw this mock off of BTB.

18: Ezekiel Ansah, DE, Brigham Young
47: Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky
80: Brennan Williams, OT, North Carolina
111: Brandon Williams, DT, Missouri Southern
144: J.J. Wilcox, SS, Georgia Southern
175: Miguel Maysonet, RB, Stony Brook

I could go for a draft like this. Don't know too much about Maysonet.

I'll take it.

I don't know if some of those players are the greatest fits for us but can't argue with going to the trenches with our first 4 picks.

Reaction score
I get the JPP comparisons, but I just think Ezekial has too much bust potential.

Plus, we do terrible when drafting overly Africany names. #Kavika #Shante #Ekuban #Akwasi

Top Bottom