icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
THE GUY WHO ONLY POSTS ARTICLES COMING IN HOT WITH A FLYING ELBOW OFF THE TOP ROPE

love it

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
i don’t know, you’re the one who brought up playoffs ....

Zimmer is a good coach. just as good and McCarthy. i wouldn’t be surprised to see the vikings win it all this year.

but my point was they are pretty much the same thing. yes, mccarthy has a SB but that was all Rodgers. hell Rodgers is making that first year HC look great now too ...

I wanted a big big change. this seems to the safe move.

we shall see. Mccarthy needs to have this team pushing or in the super bowl in 2 years ...or he should be gone.
I don't think you can blanket statement say that the years McCarthy/Rodgers were either or. They both helped each other to get to where they wanted to be. Could Rodgers have succeeded with another coach, most likely based on how talented he is and could McCarthy have had the success he had without Rodgers...well we are about to find out!!
Statistically speaking this has been one of Rodgers' worst years as the team is just more complete so he is not asked to win every game. They are more balanced with Jones as their RB and have a D that can take over games though is not dominant and can be had.
You are correct that this is "safe" move but it might just be the right move. Jerry always loves his sparkle and that for you would have been Meyer or Riley. Helman on Cowboys Break put it well that the McCarthy hiring is like them drafting Martin instead of Manziel...it doesn't have the sizzle but the proof is now in the pudding.
I like the assistants he is he is hiring...old school fuckers that are going to hold these players accountable and work their asses off...and I've heard he is looking to prove that he belongs with all the work he did in the off season and be assured that when we play the Fudgepackers he will be fucken dialed in
I'm looking forward to the season. Its at least something different and lets see where it goes

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
This is based no doubt, on your belief we have a "great roster" and are a "super talented team." As some other idiots are saying. As Jerruh believes. We don't and aren't. We lack DEPTH in all of the key positions. Our starters for the most part, really aren't all that great. We need a roster overhaul, actually.
And sadly the money spent on the "stars" are going to handicap the depth moving forward...

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Statistically speaking this has been one of Rodgers' worst years as the team is just more complete so he is not asked to win every game. They are more balanced with Jones as their RB and have a D that can take over games though is not dominant and can be had.
People forget the GREAT D green bay had that super bowl year. It's almost like you gotta have a great D to win the thing, regardless of who your QB is.
Statistically speaking this has been one of Rodgers' worst years
Coincidence? Or, kind of bumbling around without McCarthy?

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
It doesn't necessarily have to. Good depth can be had on the cheap.
Never seem to feel like we can find them but here's to hoping you are correct
And coaching comes into play there as well if the "talent" is not what you feel it should be

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And coaching comes into play there as well if the "talent" is not what you feel it should be
That's another reason I see roster changes coming. The "check collectors" as Michael Irvin called them, gonna be gone.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He pushed Brett Favre out of there!
Such ridiculous nonsense, really. Brett pushed Brett outta there.
Aaron was money from day one.
Completely ignorant statement. Looked and performed like shit his first year, this after benchwarning behind Favre for three years. McCarthy developed him into what you saw later. It's well documented, as pointed out before.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Report: If not “overwhelmed” by other candidates, Cowboys were keeping Jason Garrett

gettyimages-1194185225-e1578483279569.jpg

Getty Images

Sometimes, a spitball lands in reasonable proximity to the bull’s eye.

On Tuesday, we suggested that the screwball timeline of the Dallas Cowboys’ hiring and firing practices could have been the result of a fairly simple strategy: “Maybe the explanation is hiding in plain sight. Maybe Garrett, who reportedly wanted desperately to remain the Cowboys coach, persuaded Jones to see if he could find a better option before officially parting ways with Garrett. Maybe Jones agreed to give it a try.”

A story from Todd Archer of ESPN.com regarding the events that culminated in the seven-day delay firing of Garrett and immediate hiring of Mike McCarthy contains this nugget from an unnamed “high-ranking” team source: “[H]ad the Cowboys not been overwhelmed by McCarthy or any other candidates, there was a chance Garrett could have returned as coach.”

This sort of conflicts from the January 2 ESPN report that the Cowboys had decided to move on from Garrett; if it’s true that there was a chance Garrett could stay if the Cowboys weren’t blown away by other candidates, they didn’t decide to move on from Garrett until they decided to move in with McCarthy.

Archer’s story also conflicts (without saying so) with Adam Schefter’s report that McCarthy and Jerry Jones hit it off so well that McCarthy stayed at Jones’ house on Saturday night, conjuring images of a Johnny Walker Blue sleepover followed by pancakes and eggs in the morning. Archer writes this, without mentioning the necessarily refuted Schefterism: “McCarthy spent the night at Frisco’s Omni Hotel, which is connected to Ford Center at The Star; not at Jerry Jones’ Highland Park home.”

There’s one final bit of news from Archer that we’ll weave together with a little something of which we caught wind on Tuesday. Per Archer, Jerry and Stephen Jones became convinced that McCarthy was the guy on Sunday, January 5, which caused them to set in motion the firing of Garrett and the hiring of McCarthy.

Given that the firing of Garrett came just before halftime of the Seahawks-Eagles wild-card playoff game — and, thus, after the conclusion of Vikings-Saints — it’s possible that the final domino for the Joneses fell when Minnesota extended its season by at least six days. A source with knowledge of the dynamics told PFT on Tuesday that Jerry Jones had planned to pursue Vikings coach Mike Zimmer, as some had speculated.

With the Vikings winning and McCarthy drawing interest elsewhere, the Cowboys apparently decided not to risk losing McCarthy by waiting for a chance to choose between a pair of Mikes from the NFC North.
That's fuckin scary

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
That's another reason I see roster changes coming. The "check collectors" as Michael Irvin called them, gonna be gone.

I get that same feeling

I feel a major house cleaning coming and a bunch of the bottom of the roster guys are going to be shown the door

These are the same guys Garrett could never bring himself to get rid of like Heath. Just because he led the team in turnovers doesn’t make him good, let alone a starter. It just made him the best of the shitpile that we allowed to remain on the team for far too long

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I get that same feeling

I feel a major house cleaning coming and a bunch of the bottom of the roster guys are going to be shown the door

These are the same guys Garrett could never bring himself to get rid of like Heath. Just because he led the team in turnovers doesn’t make him good, let alone a starter. It just made him the best of the shitpile that we allowed to remain on the team for far too long
If I had to bet, I would be really surprised if Heath isn't on the roster. And I never thought he should have been on it in the first place.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If I had to bet, I would be really surprised if Heath isn't on the roster. And I never thought he should have been on it in the first place.

I don’t know

It sounds like MM has been watching every single team and has a good handle on what else is out there. I have a feeling we see some moves to shore up the bottom of the roster this off season. Nothing real earth shattering, but more to replace our low level scrubs with some scrubs that are just a little better

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I don’t know

It sounds like MM has been watching every single team and has a good handle on what else is out there. I have a feeling we see some moves to shore up the bottom of the roster this off season. Nothing real earth shattering, but more to replace our low level scrubs with some scrubs that are just a little better
Well. You're certainly gonna see big changes at DL, LB, likely the secondary, most of which are both economic and performance related.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Well. You're certainly gonna see big changes at DL, LB, likely the secondary, most of which are both economic and performance related.

I certainly hope so!

I’m good if they are all gone. Jones is listed as the #1 defensive FA by PFF. That’s fine, he can take his goose egg INT gettin ass elsewhere and get paid. I bet we see a bunch of no names in our secondary who end up with more INT’s and better performance than we have seen in years from our Garrett coached flunkies.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
My problem with the hire is History. No Head Coach in NFL History has ever coached 2 teams and won a Superbowl. Ever. EVER EVER EVER. For that reason, I'd never hire a head coached that had won a super bowl with another team they were had coaching. Too much history to have to get over. Call me odd, but I'm a pragmatist. Let some other teams recycle and reuse. I'm tired of it.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
My problem with the hire is History. No Head Coach in NFL History has ever coached 2 teams and won a Superbowl. Ever. EVER EVER EVER.
In 1989 No Head Coach in NFL History had ever won the national championship in college ball AND also won a super bowl.
I'd never hire a head coached that had won a super bowl with another team they were had coaching.
So, if Belechick became available you'd say "no, thanks?"

THIS is your qualm? Really?

Top Bottom