Reaction score
Linehan: Ground Game Was Garrett’s Top Priority When I Signed On
Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:13 PM CDT
By David Helman

IRVING, Texas – DeMarco Murray’s hot start is dominating the news cycle, and it will continue to as long as he’s ripping off 100-yard efforts.

For the guy calling the plays, the Cowboys’ commitment to the run is anything but new. Scott Linehan said the ground game was one of the main selling points from coach Jason Garrett when he took the coordinator position in Dallas all the way back in January.

“He said ‘the No. 1 thing we’re going to do is we’re going to get this run game like the old days,’” Linehan said of Garrett. “He was thinking of the days when he was wearing a uniform here. That was loud and clear, and we were all-in, I was all-in from the get-go.”

Garrett had a front-row seat to as good a rushing attack as there’s been in the NFL, as he watched Emmitt Smith run to NFL rushing titles, Super Bowls and Pro Bowls from 1993-99. During that time span, Smith ran behind Dallas’ formidable offensive line for an average of 323 carries and 1,392 yards per season.

“I’m sure in his mind that was what he envisioned as a coach – he saw it at its ultimate best. But it’s not always easy to do,” Linehan said.

It might not be easy, but the Cowboys have made it look easy through six weeks. As has been well-documented, Murray’s individual average and the team rushing average are best in the league – by a wide margin. Murray is on pace to run for 2,093 yards, which would be 320 yards better than Smith’s best single-season effort.

In that regard, Linehan said the key to success is commitment. In a departure from recent seasons, the Cowboys have maintained their run-heavy gameplan throughout all sorts of circumstances. Despite a 21-0 deficit against St. Louis, Murray finished with 24 carries for 100 yards. He got 35 total touches in Seattle despite an early 10-0 hole.

“I just think it falls on Scott. Scott doesn’t get rattled if we’re up by 50 or down by 50, he has a great mindset of what he wants to do and what we should do,” Murray said. “Give Scott credit. He does a great job of calling plays. We just try to execute them as best as possible.”

Only time will tell if the Cowboys can maintain their torrid start. They play their first division game this weekend. With Seattle being dethroned last weekend, the NFL’s best run defense is now Arizona, and the Cardinals visit the Cowboys in just three weeks.

Regardless, don’t expect the gameplan to change.

“There’s going to be days where it’s hard sledding out there, but you’ve got to stay with it and you can’t bail on that thought or that idea,” Linehan said. “So, guys have done a great job of buying into that, and we’ve got to keep doing that if we want to have success we’ve been able to have early in the season.”

Linehan: Ground Game Was Garrett’s Top Priority When I Signed On | Dallas Cowboys

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Murray said:
“I just think it falls on Scott. Scott doesn’t get rattled if we’re up by 50 or down by 50, he has a great mindset of what he wants to do and what we should do,” Murray said. “Give Scott credit. He does a great job of calling plays. We just try to execute them as best as possible.”

Demarco knows what's up.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
If the running game is such a priority for Jason, it looks like he would have called more running plays when he was the play caller. It seems like Red is one of those "do as I say, not as I do" kinda guys.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
That's funny, Omega. I noticed when Arkansas played Bama last week (and they showed Jerry at the reunion of players from the NC 64 team) the TV guys said they'd talked to Jerry and he absolutely loved the direction Bielema was taking the team even though the record isn't very good yet. It would be funny if all this running had somehow been influenced by Bielema's incredible coaching of the run game.

To what jn said, though, you definitely have to watch what Red does because he'll absolutely try to deflect blame and take credit after the fact no matter how things turn out.

One thing I always thought was funny about the "Jason always wanted to run but his O-line wouldn't let him!" cries from CZ and other places was this: So you can't even attempt to run behind an O-line that isn't great but you can put your franchise QB at risk 55 times a game? How does that make sense?

Reaction score
Jason has been O-coord/head coach since 2007.

Yet we've always been pass heavy.

And were supposed to buy that the emphasis on the run game was his idea?

:lol

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Scott Linehan said the ground game was one of the main selling points from coach Jason Garrett when he took the coordinator position in Dallas all the way back in January.
And were supposed to buy that the emphasis on the run game was his idea?
Because at the time no one knew how Tony's surgery and subsequent recovery would go, and no matter anyway, had decided protecting him was now a bigger priority. Best way to protect your QB is to run the damn ball. Alot. There's no change in philosophy by Redball or a change of heart, it is necessity that has required him to go to a balanced but run-first attack.

Reaction score
Because at the time no one knew how Tony's surgery and subsequent recovery would go, and no matter anyway, had decided protecting him was now a bigger priority. Best way to protect your QB is to run the damn ball. Alot. There's no change in philosophy by Redball or a change of heart, it is necessity that has required him to go to a balanced but run-first attack.

I think Romo's injury definitely factored in as well as Garrett not having a 2015 contract forcing him to run the football.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think Romo's injury definitely factored in as well as Garrett not having a 2015 contract forcing him to run the football.
Don't know the status of the contract talks back in January but I do know Tony was about to go under the knife or had just done so. When a coach has a certain ingrained philosophy, typically he doesn't change it just to get a new contract.

Reaction score
Don't know the status of the contract talks back in January but I do know Tony was about to go under the knife or had just done so. When a coach has a certain ingrained philosophy, typically he doesn't change it just to get a new contract.

He has no other choice. It's obvious the team succeeds when they run the football.

The instant Wade left the team, Garrett started running the ball more because he wanted to slow the game down, rack up some wins and ensure he became HC.

Done.

Then after signing Murray, he bailed on the run anyway, even when Murray was healthy. Several times Garrett got stuck (the worst of which were 2011 Detroit and 2013 Green Bay & Denver) trying to prove he was some kind of offensive genius instead of just bearing down and picking the boring running plays that win games.

This year he has to bear down again because the HC job is not automatically his. He has an older QB, a better OL, and a defense that needs to be kept off the field, but mainly Garrett needs to win a new contract.

The moment he's secure, we'll see the chains come off and craziness ensue. He fundamentally doesn't get how helpful a running play-- even for 0 yards-- can help the team.

Jason has been more focused on being thought of as a genius.

He bases decisions off of data that tells him statistically he's better off each play throwing the ball. Worst of all, his charts tell him he has a better chance of success by throwing intermediate and deep routes and almost completely ignoring short, sure routes with great potential for YAC.

Linehan has been a huge breath of fresh air, and I think we have him largely to thank.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He has no other choice. It's obvious the team succeeds when they run the football.

The instant Wade left the team, Garrett started running the ball more because he wanted to slow the game down, rack up some wins and ensure he became HC.

Done.

Then after signing Murray, he bailed on the run anyway, even when Murray was healthy. Several times Garrett got stuck (the worst of which were 2011 Detroit and 2013 Green Bay & Denver) trying to prove he was some kind of offensive genius instead of just bearing down and picking the boring running plays that win games.

This year he has to bear down again because the HC job is not automatically his. He has an older QB, a better OL, and a defense that needs to be kept off the field, but mainly Garrett needs to win a new contract.

The moment he's secure, we'll see the chains come off and craziness ensue. He fundamentally doesn't get how helpful a running play-- even for 0 yards-- can help the team.

Jason has been more focused on being thought of as a genius.

He bases decisions off of data that tells him statistically he's better off each play throwing the ball. Worst of all, his charts tell him he has a better chance of success by throwing intermediate and deep routes and almost completely ignoring short, sure routes with great potential for YAC.

Linehan has been a huge breath of fresh air, and I think we have him largely to thank.
It's Tony's back, as the main driver of running the ball. Not a new contract. Redball can get hired as a assistant or HC anywhere, including major college ball. He is not worried about that.

Without Romo's surgery and ensuing slow recovery, I doubt we would have seen this commitment to the run. It would still be full-on Air Coryell.

Top Bottom