dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If they had outright cut him he couldn't have been at the facility or on the sidelines.

I do think the Cowboys did well by keeping an eye on him so he didn't hurt himself, but once that passed, they should have cut ties.

I guess they could release him, but maybe fear him hurting himself if they do.

I think the players association might protest too. I think the league policy is they cant discipline players until the legal situation has played out, and maybe its the same for teams taking that kind of action too.

I have no idea. It is puzzling to me that they let him on the sideline. I'll be curious to see what Garrett or Jones say about it tonight or tomorrow.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And with the idea of the Cowboys not cutting him due to worrying what he might do to himself if he really were devastated, I think Brent's actions and body language showed today there probably should be no concern with that.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
I tend to agree, but I'm kinda whatever on it at this point.

Weird situation with the victim's parents being so supportive of Brent. That has kinda made this a really different situation, IMO.

Not trying to be a dick, but I just don't think it's appropriate. Brown's mom may have invited him to sit with them at the memorial and all, but what about the rest of his family. What about his brother or sister? His cousins? His GF that is bearing his kid? Is it really up to Brown's Mom what the Cowboys should do? IMO it was highly inappropriate.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
If it actually was left up to Brent, then he is more of a dick than I thought.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
From FWST:

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones defends having Brent on sideline despite criticism

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he stands behind today’s decision to have defensive tackle Josh Brent on the team’s sideline for the Pittsburgh game despite criticism from network television analysts and some Cowboys’ fans.

Jones said Brent, who is facing charges of intoxication manslaughter related to last week’s death of former teammate Jerry Brown, joined the Cowboys on the sideline for the team’s first home game since the Dec. 8 accident because that was the desire of Stacey Jackson, Brown’s mother. Jones said Jackson specifically asked team members to support Brent, Brown’s best friend and roommate, because the family loved him and urged the Cowboys to “give your brother love.”

“Our team and our players wanted him today on the sideline,” Jones said. “Jerry’s mother asked us directly as a group. She said, ‘Support him. Help him. He needs your help. Jerry wants that. I want that.’ His teammates asked him to come and be down there with them.”

The move triggered negative feedback from some Cowboys’ fans, who responded via Twitter and email once it was reported that Brent was on the team’s sideline. During Sunday’s telecast, CBS analyst Boomer Esiason called it “disgraceful” that Brent was standing with his teammates. During the network’s pregame show, Esiason said: “Football players are an example and Josh Brent is the worst of those examples.”

Jones said he realizes “there’s the other side of the coin” in regard to Brent’s situation but he stood by the team’s decision despite any criticism it generated. So did coach Jason Garrett, who said the move was “initiated by our players” and aimed at honoring Jackson’s wishes.

“She considers Josh a son and she loves him very much,” Garrett said. “We’re going to try and support him every way that we can.”

The Cowboys began Sunday’s game with a moment of silence for Brown as well as the victims of Friday’s shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...sideline-despite-criticism.html#storylink=cpy

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We all make mistakes. I guarantee you no one feels worse than Brent does no matter how he appears to everyone. I wouldn't want to live anymore if I had done what he did. If that's what Brown's family wants then I don't see a problem with it. They're the one's most affected by it - not you, me, or Boomer Esiason.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
We all make mistakes. I guarantee you no one feels worse than Brent does no matter how he appears to everyone. I wouldn't want to live anymore if I had done what he did. If that's what Brown's family wants then I don't see a problem with it. They're the one's most affected by it - not you, me, or Boomer Esiason.

No one feels worse than Brent about what went down? Seriously?

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Jon88 said:
I wouldn't want to live anymore if I had done what he did.

If he held this same sentiment he wouldn't have been on that sidelines. It was shameful.

Jon88 said:
If that's what Brown's family wants then I don't see a problem with it.

Again, his mom shouldn't get to make that call. It's deeper than just her.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
How much deeper does it get than the guy's mom?

He's obviously spoken to the team and expressed remorse because he wouldn't be allowed anywhere near it had he not.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Scum?

Just curious. Have you ever driven after drinking? Ridden with someone who had been drinking? I have.

I've driven buzzed once. Never drove with anyone that was drunk. I've done other boneheaded shit, I'm far from innocent.

But you're right. Point taken.

Reaction score
I don't really have an opinion on it. If Jerry was an innocent victim, then yeah maybe I'd feel differently. But I really dont' think it's an issue one way or another.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
I've driven buzzed once. Never drove with anyone that was drunk. I've done other boneheaded shit, I'm far from innocent.

But you're right. Point taken.

Not trying to single you out. (You're my boy, Blue) But I think people are over reacting to this. (being on the sideline). Yes, what happened was horrible. It was a retarded decision made by both him and Brown to drive in the shape they were in. But like I said above, it is a retarded decision many of us have made in the past. The only difference being, we were lucky enough not to have this happen to us.

I don't think him being on the sideline was wrong. He was a friend and team mate, and they are only trying to show support. Show him that while what happened was horrible, they are still there for him. The same support I'd imagine our friends would try show us if the same had happened to us.

People are acting like this was a premeditated, planned killing. Not even close. Him and his best friend went out for a good time, made a terrible decision, and a tragedy happened as the result. But there was no malicious intent.

VAcowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Getting in front of the wheel when you're alcohol impaired is a stupid thing to do. I'm a bit puzzled, however, why getting into a car with an alcohol impaired driver isn't seen in the same light. From a personal safety standpoint, why isn't deciding to ride with a drunk driver seen as just as idiotic as deciding to drive drunk? I'm seriously curious.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
Not trying to single you out. (You're my boy, Blue) But I think people are over reacting to this. (being on the sideline). Yes, what happened was horrible. It was a retarded decision made by both him and Brown to drive in the shape they were in. But like I said above, it is a retarded decision many of us have made in the past. The only difference being, we were lucky enough not to have this happen to us.

I don't think him being on the sideline was wrong. He was a friend and team mate, and they are only trying to show support. Show him that while what happened was horrible, they are still there for him. The same support I'd imagine our friends would try show us if the same had happened to us.

People are acting like this was a premeditated, planned killing. Not even close. Him and his best friend went out for a good time, made a terrible decision, and a tragedy happened as the result. But there was no malicious intent.

Agreed but I dont think it looks good for a franchise that has tried for years to shed their bad boy image to have a possible Felon on the sidelines days after the incident where someone was kiled

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If the 9ers can suspend Jacobs and 86 him from the club over twitter, I'm sure the Cowboys could do the same with a dumbfuck who killed someone.

Sorry for being cynical, but there's no doubt in my mind the team has rallied together in the wake of this and management is using this as much as they can to keep that going. The players supposedly love Brent and the team isn't going to banish him and upset things right now.

As for the appearance, while I have no problem with the team supporting him, I do think it's very questionable to have him on the sideline yukking it up. Let the guy hang around the team during the week if you want, but like dbair said, put him in a box or something during the game. Or better, make him watch from home.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I like that they had him down there.

Josh is their family and they're going to support him through this. That has been made perfectly clear already. Brown's family is fine with it, the Cowboys family is fine with it, the only people who aren't fine with it are moron analysts and fans - and none of those people matter. So the Cowboys are doing what they want to do within their family and fuck everyone else who thinks they should do something different.

Top Bottom