LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Coming off of last year, expecting to jump right back into contention is pretty unrealistic. Especially with the abbreviated camp with a new defense coming in, and with like you said, minimal improvements added to it.

How unrealistic was it that we would end up 6-10 after coming off a division-winning and playoff-winning 11-5 season? It cuts both ways.

CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Some people seem to forget holland played very good in relief of kosier and if he hadnt gotten hurt he wouldve replaced davis as the starter.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
How unrealistic was it that we would end up 6-10 after coming off a division-winning and playoff-winning 11-5 season? It cuts both ways.

Well, we ended up having a sucky D that largely returns intact with a new scheme and an abbreviated time frame to implement that scheme.

Cythim

Reaction score
Some people seem to forget holland played very good in relief of kosier and if he hadnt gotten hurt he wouldve replaced davis as the starter.

Playing well in spot duty doesn't equate to being a good starter. At best he is a substitute for Davis, he is certainly not an upgrade.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Yeah, we could do better than Montrae Holland. I don't know why Garrett likes him if he doesn't stay in shape.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Well, we ended up having a sucky D that largely returns intact with a new scheme and an abbreviated time frame to implement that scheme.

And the year before that, we ended up with a top 10 D. Point is, it's a year to year thing.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I just don't get all of the optimism

Its the start of training camp, every team and their fans should be optimisitc. Why would you not be? Every year is different. Every season there's a few teams that everyone expects to be great, and they arnt. And there's teams who were mediocre or even bad the previous yr who play alot better and make playoff runs.

It's getting very Zone'ish all of the sudden. I do understand some of the people who are saying be patient but the blind optimism is crazy.

This place has gotten way smarter than CZ, and it has nothing to do wth homering or being blindly optimistic.

*3rd WR - Yes, Roy Williams was overpaid for and overpaid but on the field talent-wise, he was/is better than the cast of characters we are mentioning for the important 3rd WR spot. Ogletree, Holley, Manny Johnson, or Dwayne Harris? These are all 5th WR/Special Team contributor types.

Once upon a time nobody knew who guys like Patrick Crayton or Kelvin Martin were, and those guys became extremely dependable 3rd WR's. If Ogletree commits himself and Robinson continues his good work as WR coach, he could be a pretty productive #3. That said, getting a veteran 3rd WR wouldnt shock me at all.

*RT - I'm the biggest Tyron Smith on this board but to not think there won't be some growing pains here is crazy. Especially with the next need...

Sure there will be tough times and growing pains, but he'll be an improvement from day one over what Colombo was doing the past year+

*RG - Again, why are so many assuming a guy (Montrae Holland) who couldn't beat out Leonard Davis last year, will suddenly be better than Davis? This isn't a young guy who is developing and waiting his turn. Holland has eaten his way off 2 NFL teams and has now showed up to camp in horrible shape. With Smith playing RT, we need some talent and experience in that RG spot

He doesnt have to be better than Davis, he (or whomever they put there) just has to be a dependable, adequate starter.

*Safety - I get that you guys think teams are overpaying for guys. That makes sense. At the same time, what will be left when we finally sign a guy? The guys no one else wanted to pay. Elam may still bail us out here but who's the other safety. This was a position of desperate need for a few years now yet we rely on Campo and a cast of undrafted no-name's. The position should have been addressed aggressively and immediately.

We'll have two new starters at safety, no doubt in my mind about that.

*Inside Linebacker - We looked slow and old here last year. So we decide to bring back Brooking. How do we expect improvement here? Lee looks like a keeper but Carter isn't healthy yet and once he is, there is still an adjustment to make from weakside 4-3 OLB to ILB.

Sorry, I see no reason for concern here at all. I think Lee is gonna be really good, and Carter will have a limited role this yr but should be a nice addition to the nickel/dime schemes

I just haven't seen anything (yet) that makes me think we can challenge for the NFC title. That's what the goal should be with this franchise and with the talent we have on offense. 9-7 and a quick playoff exit is not a success for me (unless we are on the way back from rebuilding). Romo's window is now.

Little impatient are we? Hell they havent even played the first meaningless preseason game, and you are talking about not seeing anything yet? Assuming the team stays healthy, I dont see any way they arnt light years better than last years team because they are going to be far better coached and prepared. We saw it last yr the second Garrett took over for Wade, and now he gets the whole training camp/preseason, plus the roster changes as well as getting a healthy Romo and Dez Bryant.

I'm sorry if this is too negative for anyone. This is just how I see it right now.

Its too negative because its too soon. At least wait for a few of the preseaosn games before going all Debbie Downer on us.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
And the year before that, we ended up with a top 10 D. Point is, it's a year to year thing.

We'll see, but the title contender predictions are way too premature. And we haven't been a title contender in awhile, unless you consider getting blown out 44-7, contending.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We'll see, but the title contender predictions are way too premature. And we haven't been a title contender in awhile, unless you consider getting blown out 44-7, contending.

We were definitely a title contender in 2009, and we had HFA in 2007. So not sure what you seeing.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
We were definitely a title contender in 2009, and we had HFA in 2007. So not sure what you seeing.

Title contenders reach the conference championship game, or actually play in the title game.

How were we a title contender in '09 when we got blown out by the Vikings in the divisional game?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Title contenders reach the conference championship game, or actually play in the title game.

How were we a title contender in '09 when we got blown out by the Vikings in the divisional game?

Because we were one of the hottest teams going into the postseason, wiped the floor with Philly (two weeks in a row) and only got beat down by Minny because our OL was decimated by injury.

I guess New England wasnt a title contender last yr either then, right?

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Because we were one of the hottest teams going into the postseason, wiped the floor with Philly (two weeks in a row) and only got beat down by Minny because our OL was decimated by injury.

I guess New England wasnt a title contender last yr either then, right?

Nope. They weren't.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Right dbair. We've been competing for championships for awhile now. You're right. Yep, we've been "this" close, forever.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Brett Favre looked like 1995 Brett. 4 touchdowns, 3 to Sidney Rice. We got whooped on both sides of the ball.

It was still a game in the 4th qtr...even with all the problems we had

Favre threw for 234 yds...thats hardly all that amazing...and one of those tds was a b/s run up the score thing with the game almost over

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Right dbair. We've been competing for championships for awhile now. You're right. Yep, we've been "this" close, forever.

I didnt say that dipshit II

I said we were contenders in 2007 and 2009, and we were

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I guess we just have different ideas of what a contender means then. I don't see how not even reaching the NFC Championship game is being a contender.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I guess we just have different ideas of what a contender means then. I don't see how not even reaching the NFC Championship game is being a contender.

Since only a limited number of teams win divisions and make the playoffs, teams that make the playoffs are "contenders". Its not like NBA or NHL where 90% of the league gets in.

Top Bottom