dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jerry Jones dreams of Brett Favre-Aaron Rodgers handoff for Cowboys

11:11 AM ET
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said the other day that every decision the team will make regarding the draft will be with the idea that Tony Romo will be quarterback for the next four or five years.

He also painted the picture of a perfect quarterback handoff of sorts, should the Cowboys select a quarterback in the draft next month be it with the fourth overall pick or subsequent rounds.

In 2005, Brett Favre turned 36. Same as Romo this year. He was also entering his 14th season in the NFL. Same as Romo this year with the Cowboys.

The Green Bay Packers had no intention of drafting a quarterback in the first round in 2005, but they never dreamed they would see Aaron Rodgers be available at No. 24 overall. So despite Favre’s success (Green Bay made the playoffs from 2001-04) and durability (Google his consecutive-games-played streak), the Packers chose Rodgers.

“You look at examples of Rodgers and you look at the example that he got to come in there and work behind Favre,” Jones said. “Rodgers came from a different system in college. He saw the most freewheeling successful quarterback there’s ever been in this league. He saw that work. He added that to his game. It helped him become even more the type in that system than when he came in. Something like that could happen if we decided to go quarterback at some level. I emphasize that – at some level.”

The Packers didn't miss a beat when Aaron Rodgers took over for Brett Favre, something the Cowboys hope to replicate when it's time for Tony Romo to hand off the starting job. Joe Robbins/Getty Images

The Favre-Rodgers relationship was a frosty one. Rodgers played in seven games in his first three seasons. It wasn’t until Favre was knocked out of a game in 2007 against the Cowboys by Nate Jones that Green Bay got a sure taste of what Rodgers could be.

In 2008, Favre retired and then ultimately was traded to the New York Jets.

Rodgers has started every game he has played since and has led the Packers to the playoffs the last seven years.

The Cowboys tried several different routes in their quarterback search after Troy Aikman’s retirement before lucking into Romo. The first option was drafting Quincy Carter in the second round in 2001. Then they signed Chad Hutchinson off the baseball field. They also traded for Drew Henson, who was a New York Yankees farmhand at the time.

They then went the veteran route with Vinny Testaverde and Drew Bledsoe.

Seven games into the 2006 season, Bill Parcells gave Romo the job and he has been the unquestioned starter ever since.

For the last two seasons, Jones has had a 4-5 year plan with Romo. He joked that the plan was put on hold in 2015 because Romo missed 12 games with a broken collarbone, so it extended another year.

The Cowboys believe Romo benefited greatly from sitting his first three seasons, but then again, there were no expectations of him as an undrafted free agent in 2003. They also believe that by watching, Romo extended his career to a degree because he was not getting beaten up as a young quarterback.

A first-round pick, especially at No. 4 overall, would have franchise-quarterback expectations. Being forced to learn behind Romo for however long would be a benefit to that quarterback, Jones said.

“If a player came in here and played behind him 3-4 years, he would come out with a Harvard degree in how to play quarterback, in my mind,” Jones said. “He would be that influential. And it would open up an area of how to play the game that we all would agree has a certain unique style to it, Romo. Just like, say, Favre did with Rodgers. That’s in my mind. That can be very impressionable and really be a big positive. So when I’m sitting there thinking about which way to go here, the ability to with Romo there and the ability to have a top talent learning behind that team and with Romo, it‘s a big asset.”

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
My gosh he's just bat shit crazy now. Doesn't even remember what he says anymore.

Its freaking bizarre for sure.

I can hear it tomorrow:

"We got our Donovan McNabb now with Quincy Carter"

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Now Gil Brandt is out there saying Jones swore to him recently there's no way he is taking a QB at 4

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
This "QB handoff" thing, where the heir apparent "sits and learns" for a couple of years? It's only really worked a couple of times, out of 100s.

Reaction score
This "QB handoff" thing, where the heir apparent "sits and learns" for a couple of years? It's only really worked a couple of times, out of 100s.

I doubt he would have to sit for very long as Romo is play to play for the rest of his career. Each tackle or hit on him may be the final one if he isn't done already. I'd rather have a top draft pick potential franchise QB taking the snaps and getting valuable experience than letting yet another Cleveland Clown waste those reps.

Reaction score
I almost think Jerry's attempting a smokescreen when he comes out as strongly as he has saying Romo has several years left. I mean, two years ago he really wanted Manziel. Now with Tony two years older there's no way he'd take a QB? He usually at least attempts to muddy the waters before the draft.

I just wrote something similar in another thread, but here goes:

The scary truth could be that Jerry truly believed Manziel was a Staubach-caliber Hall of Fame QB. Manziel did have an outstanding college career. Both he and Staubach won the Heisman, both were elusive, both improvised, both showed leadership on game day, etc., etc.

No one, not even Jerry, would intentionally pass on the opportunity to draft a future Hall of Fame QB ... even if your current, better than average QB had several more years left in him.

It is quite possible that Jerry was that wrong about Manziel.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

The scary truth could be that Jerry truly believed Manziel was a Staubach-caliber Hall of Fame QB. Manziel did have an outstanding college career. Both he and Staubach won the Heisman, both were elusive, both improvised, both showed leadership on game day, etc., etc.

No one, not even Jerry, would intentionally pass on the opportunity to draft a future Hall of Fame QB ... even if your current, better than average QB had several more years left in him.

It is quite possible that Jerry was that wrong about Manziel

Yep

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

Luckily he was talked out of drafting him. If Stephen and McClay are convinced that any of the QB's in this draft are franchise caliber QB's (and Jerry isn't) do you think Jerry could be talked into drafting one just like he was talked out of drafting Johnny 8Ball.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Luckily he was talked out of drafting him. If Stephen and McClay are convinced that any of the QB's in this draft are franchise caliber QB's (and Jerry isn't) do you think Jerry could be talked into drafting one just like he was talked out of drafting Johnny 8Ball.

Lets all hope so. It would ROYALLY fucking suck to pass on one of these top 3 guys only to see them turn into quality starters or pro bowl caliber performers while we settle on "hoping" for some middle to late round guy developing.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Lets all hope so. It would ROYALLY fucking suck to pass on one of these top 3 guys only to see them turn into quality starters or pro bowl caliber performers while we settle on "hoping" for some middle to late round guy developing.

Unfortunately we will likely be watching the next Aaron Rodgers and Ben Rothelisberger lead his team deep in the playoffs while we're watching the next Stephen McGee stinking up the joint. But hey, at least our defense will be good enough to lead us to 8-8!

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)
3/4/16, 12:02 PM
Speaking of (former) #Eagles QBs: Keep an eye on #Dolphins, #Cowboys, #Redskins, who'll be among teams interested if #Rams deal Nick Foles.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
JJ is too old to have Garret as his HC! He won't live to see his Cowboys in another SB with the 5 year contract extension he gave him

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score

It is quite possible that Jerry was that wrong about Manziel.
I missed this before, but I bet that's exactly it. I still have that Lacewell interview recorded from last year where he talks about what a mancrush Jerry had on Johnny. It's probably true that an efficient dropback QB wouldn't give Jerry the same giddy schoolgirl feeling as the flashy Manziel did.

Plus you know Jerry loved how Johnny was always seen out partying, generating extra attention.

Reaction score
We are down on Romo because he was injured last year.

But if you think he'll last two more seasons then you have until next year and maybe even the following year to find his replacement. Good QB's come out every year.

The key is finding a backup this year, not energizing the fan base with the next Aikman.

It's not like we've had a Superbowl contender here, we're going to struggle a bit with a new guy no matter what.

Now if Wentz or Goff really ARE Aikman-level talents, then you draft them and move on.

Thing is if that were true then about a dozen teams would be trying to trade up.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Now if Wentz or Goff really ARE Aikman-level talents, then you draft them and move on.

Well they clearly are not Aikman level talents. Very few are. He was one of the highest graded QB prospects to go #1 overall in the modern era.

They don't need to be Aikman level to justify taking them there. If the scouts believe they have high end talent you absolutely take one if they are available. We may not be in this position again for awhile and its not like there's a plethora of NFL quality talent at QB coming in from college football in the next couple drafts eithers.

Top Bottom