yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
BING-FUCKIN-O!----->

By Michael Lombardi Nov 25, 2019

Reality might have finally hit Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones right in the mouth. After Sunday’s 13-9 loss to the Patriots in cold, windy, rainy Foxboro, the Cowboys owner finally admitted that he has grave concerns about the coaching staff, which is helmed by head coach Jason Garrett. “With the makeup of this team, I shouldn’t be this frustrated,” Jones told reporters after the game.

You know what? He is right. His team is too talented and has too many top-level players to be sitting only slightly above the .500 mark — even though they are in first place in the NFC East. But why is Jerry blaming the coaching when he needs to blame himself?

Jerry’s frustration with the coaching is a reflection of him — in part because he wants a coach who will do what he wants, what he says, and who will always comply with his organizational structure. Jones was probably sitting in his owner’s box yesterday saying to himself “if Bill Belichick was coaching my team, we might be undefeated, and if Garrett was coaching the Patriots, they might be 4-7.” You had to think that thought crossed his mind because the entire Cowboy nation of fans was thinking the same thing.

That thought is one thousand percent wrong.

Anyone who believes that does not understand what occurs below the surface when Belichick is preparing his team for a game or the season. The attention to detail, the hard practices, the demanding coaching are all part of the Patriots’ culture—which requires Belichick to control the roster, the coaches, the narrative about the team, and most of all, the team’s environment.

Belichick wins in large part due to the culture he has established; meanwhile, Jerry could care less about culture. How could he? He learned how to run the team from Al Davis, the former owner of the Raiders, who, like Jerry, believed great talent will always prevail. Talent alone worked for Al in the 1960s and ’70s, but as football strategy moved from checkers to chess, with some coaches like Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs and Bill Walsh being grandmaster chess players, talent alone could never prevail. A coach has to make the talent better; a coach has to demonstrate value. If coaching salaries continue to rise, the value of the coach becomes paramount. Davis was not a fan of paying big money for coaches; he wanted to groom young coaches, teach them his way, then reward them for their work. Jerry is different than Davis in that he will pay top dollar for his coach. Being the smart, successful businessman that Jones has always been, he must be asking himself, ‘what benefits do I receive from paying top dollar to Garrett?’

Two years ago, I nicknamed Garrett “The Clapper” because it was apparent to me that all he does is clap. His impact on the team is non-existent; in a sense, he does not impact the offense, defense, or the kicking game. The television cameras are always showing him, yet he never looks at the Microsoft Surface to examine what happened in the game; we never really see him looking at the play clips, huddling with the players during a break in the action, or scanning a call sheet, and we never even really see him needing to cover his mouth because he rarely speaks. The television people don’t have to look for him as he is always in the same spot. Also, I don’t think I’ve ever heard any player say, “Garrett made me better, he showed me how to play the game.” Nor do I notice any variances in his schemes from game to game, which would demonstrate Garrett’s involvement.

The Cowboys are the same each week, they rely on talent to win, they rely on players to play well. But they don’t do the little things to help make a player better. A recent example is how they didn’t help wide receiver Amari Cooper get away from Patriots corner Stephon Gilmore on Sunday. Garrett had to know that Belichick’s number one objective each week is to take away his opponent’s number one receiver. He was not going to allow Cooper to have a big day. If receiver Randall Cobb or tight end Jason Witten played well and caused the Patriots to lose, then Belichick would accept the consequences. But if Cooper had a big day and was the reason why the Patriots lost, Belichick would not be able to live with himself. Garrett has to know this! I mean, come on … even if he didn’t read my book Gridiron Genius — which details how Belichick draws up his game plan every week — Garrett had to know Belichick’s gameplan. It’s common knowledge. So if Garrett knew beforehand, why didn’t he find creative ways to allow Cooper to escape Gilmore? Why didn’t he do something to help his receiver? Do you think the Patriots or 49ers would let the opponent take away the best player without knowing the adjustments beforehand?

And why did quarterback Dak Prescott have to put on a glove in the second quarter because of the steady rain affecting the footballs? Do you think the Cowboys practiced with frozen footballs drenched in water? Of course not … but the Patriots did. The answers to both questions are Garrett never prepares for the situation; he only can react.

Football is a game of the tiniest details that require constant attention. A head coach cannot start screaming about the value of special teams the week they are playing the Patriots. Placing importance on the kicking game must hold institutional importance every single day. Yes, the ‘Boys have a great kicker in Brett Maher, but they rank last in the NFL in kickoff returns and are 24th in covering kicks, 27th in punting and 29th in punt returns.

Jones said after the game, “Special teams is a total reflection of coaching.” That statement is not entirely accurate. Special teams is a total reflection of the time devoted to it, the importance placed on it by the head coach. If the head coach believes the kicking game matters, then the team will create an advantage in the kicking game. Special teams are not sexy, yet in a game affected by weather, having excellent field position matters, which is why Belichick stresses the importance of special teams each week, starting in the off-season workdays. You cannot blame the special teams coordinator Keith O’Quinn for all the problems with ball handling, coverage and knowing where to align your returners when the wind is blowing at their backs. Why didn’t Garrett notice his returners were too far back when the Patriots kicked off into the wind? Why didn’t he react? Sure, you can blame O’Quinn, but the deeper blame lies with the man who does not handle any details — the head coach.

Jones has had two great coaches to observe during his time as owner — Jimmy Johnson, who in my opinion should be a Hall of Fame coach, and Bill Parcells, who is one. Both are nothing like Garrett, both are demanding, both value the kicking game and both coached hard on Sunday. Both men made the players better, they adjusted their game plans each week and knew that winning games at the highest level requires attention to the smallest details. Jones had a challenging relationship with both men because both men wanted to coach the team a certain way, in their own style.

After Sunday’s loss, Jones said that this was “a bigger game for us than it was for the Patriots on the win column. We had a chance to really establish something and there’s no gratification here of sitting here and being down to the last drive to determining maybe the outcome of the game that’s not the point. You can’t be satisfied with how we got out there…I don’t care if it is New England this year with their record and their coach and all of that. You can’t be satisfied just because you got to within the last drive to maybe go ahead.”

Jones cannot be satisfied either. He needs to decide: does he want to win his way or is he willing to hire a coach who coaches the whole team, and who can lead the organization? Cowboy fans can blame The Clapper, but the one who deserves the most blame is their owner — because unless Jones changes, he will always have a talented team, but not a championship team.

THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN PREACHING FOR 25 YEARS!

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Lombardi said:
Two years ago, I nicknamed Garrett “The Clapper”
No you did not, you picked it up from the fans, dickhead. We've been calling Ginger "the clapper" here for at least six years - back when you were all-in on Ginger, remember? Back when you were all for his contract renewal, saying shit like, "Where would Jones find a better coach?"
Lombardi said:
Jones had a challenging relationship with both men because both men wanted to coach the team a certain way, in their own style.
But he still stayed out of their way for the most part. Until it became too much for him to bear.

That's why hiring a great coach like Meyer takes this team forward. Jerruh will stay out of the coach's way for a good amount of time.

On talent being all that's needed to win - Jerry's always thought that. He thinks that's the only way Jimmy ever won. Until Sunday, he thought that's the only way Belechick ever won too.

What you should be blaming Jerry for is sticking with this useless fuck, this mannequin, after three straight 8-8 seasons.

Sal Monella

Man among boys
Reaction score

"Passion, emotion, the energy he brings, that is Line 1 for Mr. Jones, I feel like from my perspective," tight end Jason Witten, who has played 16 years for the Cowboys, said Tuesday. "He wants to win. He expects to win. He feels like he's put a great team together, which he has, and we haven't played to our expectations of where we should be. That's completely fair. I think it's just the raw emotion of it all. He's been around a lot of great football and knows what he wants it to look like."

After the game, Jones called Patriots coach Bill Belichick "masterful" and said the 13-9 loss was a "significant setback," while calling into question the Dallas coaching staff, particularly with special teams after a blocked punt led to the game's only touchdown.

Running back Ezekiel Elliott said he was unaware of what Jones said but admitted there is frustration with the Cowboys' 6-5 record.

"Just with us not winning, you're going to be frustrated," Elliott said. "Where we are grateful is that we do control our destiny and we can control our destiny in these last games and get into these playoffs."

"You have to be a team that wins those games, and right now we're not," linebacker Sean Lee said. "We need a find a way to do that ASAP because teams who win and get into the playoffs and then win in the playoffs, they win close games. So we need to get there."

kwcoolk619

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The best article I have read on the Cowboys, Jones and Garrett. It is 100% SPOT ON. One really can not add to this. I know there will be those Garrett apologists who will say, "But why doesn't anyone ever gives Garrett credit when he wins?" A total denial of the situation since Garrett has been the HC.

Every Cowboy fan who cares about this organization and why we are where we are needs to read this article. In fact, it is required reading. My brain kept going "Ding Ding Ding!" after so many facts presented.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Here is the saddest part of this IMO. Anybody with thick glasses and a brain stem, you didn't even need a functioning brain to realize Garrett is and has been the problem from the word go. It is no coincidence that the second Jerry turned on Carrot, the media followed suit. Jerry and spawn are obviously controlling the local media via feeding them "inside info". Guys like Fisher make me sick. In many other cities the media would have had the fire Carrot train chugging down the tracks 8 years ago.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Who is ginger?
Jason Garrett. We call him "Ginger" because of his idiot red hair, "Clapper" because he mindlessly claps even when things go wrong, we also call him "Jason Carrot" again because of his idiot red hair, and assorted other pet names.

You've never heard of "ginger" in reference to redheads?

InternetKing

The Elite :-P
Reaction score
Jason Garrett. We call him "Ginger" because of his idiot red hair, "Clapper" because he mindlessly claps even when things go wrong, we also call him "Jason Carrot" again because of his idiot red hair, and assorted other pet names.

You've never heard of "ginger" in reference to redheads?

oh right was not sure who referring to but I get it now lol...

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
ok

jerry trained this asshole on the fly to coach this team. lots of teams do it w/ 1st year head coaches, but lots of teams also cut bait when they notice that its not workign out. dooms points to romo being such a dingleberry, because he could have single-handedly swayed jerry into canning the clapping clown, but romo was happy w/ stats and being in a comfortable situation. garrett, jerry, and romo are all perfect for each other. but not for the fans. not for me.

cannot wait for the garrett era to come to a close

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jerry deserves 100% blame for holding onto Garrett 5 years or so too long. That's all on him.

That said, there is and has been talent here. This isn't Jones circa 94-01 decision making and personnel decisions. We don't win big because the coaching holds the team back. Insert a quality coach here the last 10 years and they probably make it to at least one or two Super Bowls. The 2007 team definitely should have made it to a Super Bowl. Our teams in 2009, 2014 and 2016 were also good enough to make legit runs, at least to conference championship games. And it never happens.

NoMoreCowboys

Spectator
Reaction score
First and last post, but as many, Cowboy fan since 1960, until this year, and now a fan of any team that plays the Cowboys, so far 6-6.

Let me explain. Jones who supposedly runs a pretty tight ship when it comes to players, but one exception seems to be contracts. Elliot under contract, but as he decided not to abide by such contract, what does Jones do, renegotiate the contract and the main reason was that the Cowboys can't win without him. Geez, that sure proved to be a questionable reason to throw $90 million out the window, and at that time, decided, if the player doesn't abide by a contract and the owner buckles, no more Cowboys for me.

Not that Elliot isn’t a stellar back, but without 110% effort of the other players, his performance is diminished, and being a lineman or blocker for a player that had his contract renegotiated they just might have a different sense of allegiance. In fact, the entire team probably has a sense of resentment and justifiable so, just human nature.

Jones has no one to blame but himself!

Early, but back to the leftovers.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
(Player) under contract, but as he decided not to abide by such contract, what does Jones do, renegotiate the contract and the main reason was that the Cowboys can't win without him
So... Throwing away 60, 80, 90 million was okay on Romo - total bust (Dude already had that disc problem at signing, he knew it but Jerry didn't.), Dez - total bust (Completely disappeared immediately after signing HIS big deal.), but now Zeke - who followed the CBA to the letter and decided risking career-ending injury without guaranteed money wasn't a good business model - Zeke's new deal is reason to no longer be a Cowboys fan?
Jones who supposedly runs a pretty tight ship when it comes to players
When did that start and who ever said such a thing, much less even think it? You kidding?

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
First and last post, but as many, Cowboy fan since 1960, until this year, and now a fan of any team that plays the Cowboys, so far 6-6.

Let me explain. Jones who supposedly runs a pretty tight ship when it comes to players, but one exception seems to be contracts. Elliot under contract, but as he decided not to abide by such contract, what does Jones do, renegotiate the contract and the main reason was that the Cowboys can't win without him. Geez, that sure proved to be a questionable reason to throw $90 million out the window, and at that time, decided, if the player doesn't abide by a contract and the owner buckles, no more Cowboys for me.

Not that Elliot isn’t a stellar back, but without 110% effort of the other players, his performance is diminished, and being a lineman or blocker for a player that had his contract renegotiated they just might have a different sense of allegiance. In fact, the entire team probably has a sense of resentment and justifiable so, just human nature.

Jones has no one to blame but himself!

Early, but back to the leftovers.

All the starting linemen (except Williams) are on good, well payed contracts. They are among the league's best payed at their respective positions. So I doubt there is any envy or resentment there. The problem right now is coaching, game-planning and game management. That falls on the Head Coach, and ultimately the man who hired him.

I keep hearing from Cowboys media that Jerry really, really wants to win. I'm sure that's true. But he doesn't really NEED to win. When he bought the franchise the Cowboys were losing money. Jerry NEEDED to win to survive, and so he hired a real Head Coach. And they won. But now Jerry has his 3 rings, he owns the world's most valuable sports club, he has built his shrine, he is in the HOF, and he has put his offspring is in position to take over. Mission accomplished. Sure, he still wants to win. But he doesn't need to win. And it shows on the field

Top Bottom