Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I must have missed the part in dbair's links where Garrett wanted Norv. We never flirted with Norv as OC. I'm not aware that he was even interviewed. It's all speculation because it would have made sense. Linehan is a Garrett guy and Garrett got him. If Garrett would have wanted Norv (and Norv wanted to come back), Norv would have been hired instead.

TE is right. Norv would never come back to Dallas, just like he balked at Jerry before Jerry hired Wade. Norv would have no reason to work "under" Garrett, who isn't 1/10th the OC that Norv is and deal with the circus that is the Dallas Cowboys. The sad part is that Romo oculd have flourished under Norv.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yep, Dodger. I meant to mention earlier that you were exactly right before. Another thing Galloway said in 2007 with absolute certainty is that Jerry wanted to and was going to hire Norv for HC, but insisted Jason call plays, and Norv didn't think Jason was ready for that. As you said, it's basically an insult to ask a proven excellent OC like Norv to come in here and then cede control to this kid who had never called a play in his life and had only been a QB coach to Joey Harrington and Cleo Lemon.

Makes you wonder why Jerry would be so devoted to Red that he'd demand such a thing of even a proven long time friend and ally like Norv. But now it becomes more clear. Jerry knew Jason would be a willing sycophant and thus has wanted to groom Jason for a long time now.

God I hate Jerry and Jason for what they've done to my fandom.

Reaction score
Yep, Dodger. I meant to mention earlier that you were exactly right before. Another thing Galloway said in 2007 with absolute certainty is that Jerry wanted to and was going to hire Norv for HC, but insisted Jason call plays, and Norv didn't think Jason was ready for that. As you said, it's basically an insult to ask a proven excellent OC like Norv to come in here and then cede control to this kid who had never called a play in his life and had only been a QB coach to Joey Harrington and Cleo Lemon.

Makes you wonder why Jerry would be so devoted to Red that he'd demand such a thing of even a proven long time friend and ally like Norv. But now it becomes more clear. Jerry knew Jason would be a willing sycophant and thus has wanted to groom Jason for a long time now.

God I hate Jerry and Jason for what they've done to my fandom.

With all that said, there had to be someone giving Jerry advice about Garrett and all his potential. Would Jason's dad and that old school gang be influential enough? Someone was really seducing Jerry to the idea that Jason was the next Vince Lombardi.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
With all that said, there had to be someone giving Jerry advice about Garrett and all his potential. Would Jason's dad and that old school gang be influential enough? Someone was really seducing Jerry to the idea that Jason was the next Vince Lombardi.

I doubt Jerry even really thought he was the next Lombardi. Jerry probably saw him as an old family friend who would be a loyal servant first and foremost, and an intelligent person who might one day become a good coach second.

I've heard it said many times by people who cover the team that Jerry does not respect the position of head coach. He thinks the players make the team, and head coaching can be handled by any number of people.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I doubt Jerry even really thought he was the next Lombardi. Jerry probably saw him as an old family friend who would be a loyal servant first and foremost, and an intelligent person who might one day become a good coach second.

I've heard it said many times by people who cover the team that Jerry does not respect the position of head coach. He thinks the players make the team, and head coaching can be handled by any number of people.

At the same time, he understood the importance of getting a "real head coach" when it came time to get the votes for the stadium.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

:puke

Top Bottom