Reaction score
Jason's primary influence, other than his family, is Norv. The Vikings ended last season with a well defended pass play in which there was no audible, the RB was not used properly, the QB held the ball too long, the running QB had to wait for the WRs to get downfield, and was a play that the Vikings had used in this situation before. Sound familiar?

Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner defends final play call in loss to Arizona Cardinals

This next article is a fan perspective but I just heard over the weekend from some Viking friends of mine that Sparano was brought in essentially to fix what is wrong with Norvs offense. Notice the frustration with the scheme not matching the talent and how the WCO coaches seem to be the better resolve. Strong running game. More physical WRs. But frustration that a downfield attack is not working. Adrian Peterson frustrated in his carries.

But then, this next one is not fan perspective but ESPN article:

Vikings want to merge Shurmur, Sparano's ideas into Turner's offense - Minnesota Vikings Blog- ESPN

And this:

10 Camp Questions: The Offensive Triangle - Vikings Territory

And this:

Pat Shurmur to replace Norv Turner as OC, says rumor mill

And this:

Zulgad: An offensive 3 pack: Norv Turner's offense expected to have some new wrinkles - 1500 ESPN Twin Cities

What Norv does, Jason does. They talk all the time. But in this case, the ubiquitous issues with the Coryell offense appear to be pushing Norv out his own scheme. The irony is that Jerry brought in Callahan almost the same way and intent that Zimmer is bringing in Sparano and Shurmur.

And one could argue that having Callahan's influence, even in contention and uncomfortable contrast, led to the up ramp of 2013 into 2014 but having Linehan now alone with no contrasting influence will only drive the offense down the same frustrating road that Zimmer and the Vikings are on.

Reaction score
And mind you, Norv is about 100 times the offensive mind that Jason is.

Doesn't bode well.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if Jason hasn't tried to attach his name to Norv for the positive PR value it brings to Cowboys fans -- and probably Jerry -- the same way he does Jimmy. Truth is, he only played one year for Norv (and Jimmy). He played most of his Cowboys career under Zampese. But Chain Smoking Ernie doesn't bring the same cachet Norv does.

Reaction score
Dude some of those articles are really old

I wanted to show the gradual decline and that we might see the Vikings make a change in this season. My guess is: if Norv gets axed, we get Norv as a consultant or it will draw attention to Jason's failing scheme. Think about how many players were acquired because they played or were endorsed by Norv.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I wanted to show the gradual decline and that we might see the Vikings make a change in this season. My guess is: if Norv gets axed, we get Norv as a consultant or it will draw attention to Jason's failing scheme. Think about how many players were acquired because they played or were endorsed by Norv.

Yeah, lets keep bringing in other coaches to prop up the computer with legs. It has worked great so far.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'd be shocked if Norv got canned. Zimmer knows how good he is. And unlike some coaches, he won't be looking for a scapegoat to blame if things do go south.

Honestly, I think they're aware that Bridgewater isn't that good anyway so I doubt there's too much pressure on the OC to produce an amazing offense.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

IIRC Garrett already wanted to bring Norv here, reportedly Jerry said no.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd be shocked if Norv got canned. Zimmer knows how good he is. And unlike some coaches, he won't be looking for a scapegoat to blame if things do go south.

Honestly, I think they're aware that Bridgewater isn't that good anyway so I doubt there's too much pressure on the OC to produce an amazing offense.

Yep. I bet he gets replaced before Norv.

Honestly that whole offense isn't very talented. Peterson is not what he was and the OL is maybe average. Their skills guys are nothing to write home about at all.

Reaction score
I don't either.

Last I remember Norv being talked about coming here was when we went with Wade as HC. Norv was under consideration then.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I remember Norv being interviewed for the HC job but he wanted to call his own plays and Jones and his dolt HC balked at a SB winning OC taking play calling duties from his coach in training. I give Norv props for not selling out, unlike Garrett who's a spineless yes man.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I remember Norv being interviewed for the HC job but he wanted to call his own plays and Jones and his dolt HC balked at a SB winning OC taking play calling duties from his coach in training. I give Norv props for not selling out, unlike Garrett who's a spineless yes man.

That was 2007 when we hired Wade. This latest Norv flirtation happened right before we hired Linehan.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
When? I'm not sure I recall that one.

I'm still looking for the Ed Werder report but he and another NFL guy were basically reporting Norv was a done deal as OC in early January.

I did find this snippet from a Troy Aikman chat from right around that time:

On if the Cowboys should think about bringing in Norv Turner as their offensive coordinator:

“I don’t think there’s anybody better than Norv Turner because I know what he meant to my career and I’ve seen what he’s done elsewhere with far lesser talent. But I don’t think it’s quite as simple as what some might think even though he and Jason (Garrett) are close. The reason I say that is the Cowboys had an opportunity to hire Norv as head coach before they hired Wade Phillips (in 2007), and at the 11th hour they decided to hire Wade. I’m not speaking for Norv because we’ve had no conversations as it relates to this,’’ Aikman continued. “But if it were me and that had happened to me, I’d say ‘Hey, I’m not real sure that I want to come be a part of this now.’”

Even though I think Norv would do everything that he could to help Jason and his situation. I don’t think it’s as big of a slam dunk as some may think.’’

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
There another article that came out after this one that said the ultimate reason they didn't bring Norv back was because "Jerry was uncomfortable with the idea" and the speculation was if the Cowboys struggled in 2014 there'd be immense pressure on Jones to fire Garrett and name Norv HC.

ESPM: Nonsense that Dallas didnt hire Turner

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Randy Galloway was literally drinking buddies with Norv and still good friends who talked a lot, and he said Norv chose Minny over here because he didn't want all the circus here, plus he knew he'd have true autonomy there with Zimmer being a defensive HC. He didn't want Jerry or Jason interfering with him.

So it was Norv rejecting us, not Jerry rejecting Norv.

Top Bottom