Reaction score
ON A COUPLE of different occasions this offseason, Howie Roseman has said that a looming spike in demand for quarterbacks factored into the Eagles' conversations as they decided whether to pay the price the Browns were asking in exchange for the No. 2 pick, which the Eagles needed to draft the quarterback they desired.

The line of argument goes something like this: In addition to the usual uncertainty that a handful of teams face at quarterback, a slew of longtime fixtures at the position are in the stage of their careers where any season could be their last. Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Tony Romo are battling age and/or injury, while Eli Manning and Philip Rivers are entering their 35-year-old seasons and Ben Roethlisberger will play at 34. For 12 years, none of those teams has had a thought of looking for a franchise quarterback. With all of them potentially looking in the near future, it made sense for the Eagles to pull the trigger now, rather than try to compete in a saturated marketplace two or three years down the road.

Roseman never has said the future marketplace was a primary factor, but he cited it more than once, including Monday, in an interview with 97.5-FM, when he said that the Eagles "looked at the landscape of our division, this league, and said, how many teams are we going to be competing against for a quarterback if we don't get one this year, if we don't get one next year? I mean, you guys can do it, take the time to just look at it. Look at our division. Eli Manning is 35, Romo is 36. Kirk Cousins is on a one-year deal.

"Look at the final four teams last year. (Denver) went and drafted (Paxton) Lynch. Carson Palmer (will be) 37. Brady (will be) 39. We're just picking eight teams right there. When we looked at this, we said, holy cow, there might be 15 or 16 teams over the next two years that need a quarterback. As we look at it now, a lot will change, where are they getting them from? For us, it made too much sense for us to not do this."

The question I was curious about: Is he correct?

Not with regard to his conclusion, though I'm skeptical there, too. (Think about it: most drafts are lucky to have one or two guys who pan out . . . is it really any harder to be one of 15 teams vying for that commodity instead of one of 10?). I was more curious about the premise. Do the next three or four years really figure to be any different from any other time teams have attempted to find a franchise quarterback?

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I believe that time will show that we made a huge mistake in not paying the price to move back into the first and take Lynch. I also believe we made a mistake allowing Oakland jump ahead of us and take Cook. Then to top it all off I believe that Dak Prescott will turn out to be a bust or a perennial back up only and not a true franchise QB

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I believe that time will show that we made a huge mistake in not paying the price to move back into the first and take Lynch.

Yeah I think this will be a major regret looking back. I liked Lynch for us a lot and apparently so did the Cowboys (they had him ranked as their 12th best player according to reports)

I also believe we made a mistake allowing Oakland jump ahead of us and take Cook.

Maybe we should have called the Raiders and said "now mean ole Raiders, don't do this" or something I guess?

We have no control what other teams do with trades. You cant make a team not trade up, nor can you make a team you are trying to trade with accept your deal. We reportedly made two offers to Cleveland to move up 1 pick, they refused and took a better deal from the Raiders.

Then to top it all off I believe that Dak Prescott will turn out to be a bust or a perennial back up only and not a true franchise QB

I have pretty low expectations for him but if he turns into a quality/perennial backup as a 4th rd pick, that would be pretty good.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
This guy won't be the starter but how funny would it be if Jamiell Showers wins the backup job over Moore.

Dallas Cowboys news (@dmn_cowboys)
5/10/16, 9:30 PM
The Cowboys have a fourth quarterback in Jameill Showers: Outlining his chances in Dallas d-news.co/4k0o3005DT1 pic.twitter.com/j9r9xoCgd9

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Crazy watching these QBs come in as rookies, blossom and enter the twighlights of their careers.

Can't believe Eli is 35. He looks no older than 22.

cml750

Facepalm
Reaction score
Finding a franchise QB is no easy chore. We were quite possibly the luckiest any team has EVER been to find Romo as an undrafted free agent. I truly believe Romo may have rated as one of the greatest QB'e EVER if he had a real coach during his starting tenure save his few games under Tuna in 2006. We have truly wasted the entire career of a truly elite QB with powder-puff Wade and idiot Red. It beats all I have ever seen. We will probably wate the careers of the superior o-line we have built trying to find Romo's replacement once he is gone. It will be sad to go 30+ years without a Superbowl.

Reaction score
Speaking of IQ, Jerry said Kellen had that "it" factor which he then pointed out was not the interceptions and the losses but that the team responds to him. Apparently only during games when the other team has nothing to play for and has taken out their starters.

Moore played in the Cowboys' final three games last season, all losses. He completed 61-of-104 passes for 779 yards and four touchdowns with six interceptions. (Keep in mind he had 400 yards in the Redskin game.

It factor. He knows the offense and that is the only condition that counts.

Reaction score
I was more curious about the premise. Do the next three or four years really figure to be any different from any other time teams have attempted to find a franchise quarterback?

Yeah, I also found myself questioning the premise. I don't know the answer.

If the premise is correct, over time we could expect to see:

1. More QBs drafted in the top 100 draft picks.
2. More QBs drafted in the top 25 draft picks.
3. Teams that a) trade for a draft choice and b) use the choice to draft a QB ... will have to pay an even greater premium to obtain the draft choice (i.e., on average, teams will have to overpay even more to obtain the draft pick that they use to select a QB).

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't really agree with the premise. If you lack a QB, you don't need one worse because your previous one was a great player like a Brady or Brees. The teams that are coming off a failed Blaine Gabbert or Christian Ponder need one just as badly.

There simply aren't enough good QBs to go around. Same as it ever was.

Top Bottom