C

Cr122

Tony Romo's sore shoulder not a concern for Cowboys
Posted Sunday, Aug. 01, 2010
By Jan Hubbard

jhubbard@star-telegram.com

SAN ANTONIO -- Although a quarterback with a sore arm would not seem to be reason to celebrate, Tony Romo said no one should be alarmed.

Wade Phillips didn't seem concerned and said now is the time for tough men to assert themselves.

Romo didn't seem limited in the afternoon practice Sunday but said afterward that he had soreness in his arm from the 10 practices he has participated in since training camp began.

But Romo said it is not unusual to have some pain during camp.

"You never know when this is going to happen schedule-wise and the amount you are throwing," Romo said. "But it's all part of being here. You have to know that and work through it. Use a little more legs."

Phillips said Romo is not the only one who is tired.

"We definitely are in training camp mode," the Cowboys' coach said. "What you try to do training camp-wise is wear down the players mentally and physically and then build them back. That's part of the process.

"I think we're a little bit tired right now physically. [Saturday], especially I think they were sore and tired and their arms were a little weary, but that's what you have to go through. You have to bounce back from that or fight through that; that's a part of the training it takes to build a football team."

Romo said he expects the soreness to be temporary.

"It's usually about a two- or three-day thing and you can kind of get back a little bit and go from there," Romo said. "It's part of every season and I'm sure every quarterback goes through it."

From third to first

For the second time in five days, Wade Phillips gave most of the veterans the morning off. The Cowboys have had two practices on five of the nine days they have been here, but the veterans have participated in the morning practice only three of those days.

Quarterbacks Tony Romo and Jon Kitna were not at the morning practice, which meant that third-stringer Stephen McGee received most of the snaps.

"It's a huge help not only for me, but for everybody in our huddle, just to get to rep some of the plays that we don't ever get to run," said McGee, the former Texas A&M quarterback. "Going into the game against Cincinnati [on Sunday] we hopefully got to walk through at least a lot of the plays and get to see a bunch of different blitzes and pressures."

McGee was not active for any regular-season game last year. He did throw a TD pass in a preseason game, but then had a sprained ligament in his right knee and missed the last two preseason games.

They love their LBs

Linebackers continue to impress in camp, and one of the major surprises is Leon Williams, a fourth-year player who was released after last season by the Browns.

"When he first came in, we said, 'This guy may not be able to help us at all,'" Wade Phillips said. "But he has adapted and he has worked and studied hard.

"He had trouble playing the run and the pass starting out in [off-season workouts]. He got better and better with the run and we said, 'Well the guy looks pretty good in the running game, but the guy is lost in our passing game.' Now he is playing the pass well, and he can really grunt. We don't go live, but we hit pretty good. So I think he has earned the respect of his teammates on offense and defense as far as being physical."

Good answer

When asked Sunday how close the Cowboys were to being ready for the preseason opener against the Cincinnati Bengals, Wade Phillips -- not normally a comedian -- said: "We're about a week away, I think."

And then he paused for comedic effect because the Cowboys were exactly seven days from the game.

C

Cr122

Well yeah, players get sore muscles during TC.

That part of the article is just dumb. Everyone is sore from it.

So he has a little pain in his arm, he'll be okay.

x69twisted

Practice Squad
Reaction score
yea This will be Romo's best year ,i know i said it b4 but wtf i'm sayin it again lol Seriously though ,why is Wade still there ? ...

C

Cr122

yea This will be Romo's best year ,i know i said it b4 but wtf i'm sayin it again lol Seriously though ,why is Wade still there ? ...

If we don't win the Super Bowl, Wade and his whole staff could be gone.

Reaction score
I know we beat him and the Steelers in the Super Bowl, but I love his style of coaching.

i would love cowher 2 but us being dallas fans when it comes to the head coach jerry always gonna look for the coach that he can over rule anytime and the coach being ok with it and i dont c cowher being a head coach that would wanna be in that situation but who knows anything is possible specially if we come up short this year

C

Cr122

i would love cowher 2 but us being dallas fans when it comes to the head coach jerry always gonna look for the coach that he can over rule anytime and the coach being ok with it and i dont c cowher being a head coach that would wanna be in that situation but who knows anything is possible specially if we come up short this year

I dunno Jerry worked with the Tuna, so I think Cowher would be okay with Jerry.

I see your point though, he would probably stick to his current search for coaches with guys he can control.

Like a Jason Garrett. He's one coach that I can see Jerry keeping and making him the next HC of the Cowboys.

And if Jason and Wade were gone, he might look to Ray Sherman.

C

Cr122

Cowher would be a dream after Wades trip is done in Dallas...like said he is already a 3-4 guru and a proven leader

Hell yeah.

Then he can gather his old coaching staff together, we'll with whoever is left. lol

Reaction score
i wanna win the superbowl this year but wade always scares me because more winning with him as the head coach the longer he will stay as the head coach

C

Cr122

i wanna win the superbowl this year but wade always scares me because more winning with him as the head coach the longer he will stay as the head coach

He'll just be labeled the head coach who could win in the regular season, but couldn't get it done in the playoffs.

Reaction score
He'll just be labeled the head coach who could win in the regular season, but couldn't get it done in the playoffs.

im hoping this can change this year cause i need to witness with me fully understanding whats going on a dallas superbowl win its going on 10 full years of watching every game and its not fair for all the old heads to of witness 3 in 4 years in the 90's im only 22 by the way still have many years to watch and c i guess

C

Cr122

im hoping this can change this year cause i need to witness with me fully understanding whats going on a dallas superbowl win its going on 10 full years of watching every game and its not fair for all the old heads to of witness 3 in 4 years in the 90's im only 22 by the way still have many years to watch and c i guess

You're lucky you will still be around to witness another owner in Dallas.

Unless Jerry passes it on to his sons, which I think he will.

Top Bottom