SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Former Dallas Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy has always been someone who struggles to say the right words at the right time. That hasn't changed.

ESPN aired Adam Schefter's one-on-one interview with Hardy from Mississippi in full on Tuesday, and Hardy again showed little remorse for his actions.
Hardy returned to Oxford, Miss., this offseason after a tumultuous year with the Cowboys to finish his college degree. Hardy, who has a newborn son, left college nine hours shy of a bachelor's degree in graphic design.
A month into free agency, Hardy has garnered little interest from teams. If Hardy's plan with the interview was to finally show remorse and help clear his name in an effort to make him not as toxic to teams, the former Pro Bowler failed miserably.

Former Cowboys safety Darren Woodson called Hardy's interview "damaging," on NFL Live on Tuesday, adding, "Do I feel like Greg Hardy is believable? Absolutely not."
Here are three takeaways from Hardy's interview Tuesday:
· Hardy's interview reeked of desperation rather than contrition: During his only season with the Cowboys last year, Hardy was given several opportunities to express remorse for his involvement in a domestic violence incident with his ex-girlfriend, Nicole Holder, even before graphic photos emerged that allegedly showed her injuries. Hardy never did show any remorse. Now, with his NFL career in limbo because teams haven't blown up the phone of his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, Hardy is coming forward at a time that would seemingly benefit him. But Hardy again did himself no favors by continuing to not express remorse and failing to explain what exactly happened. Instead, he referred to himself as an innocent man. He even, at times, painted himself as a victim: "I came out of it and still suffer repercussions of it." This isn't a tricky situation for Hardy. If he truly believed he was innocent, he would have stood on a mountain and screamed it well before now in an attempt to clear his name. Hardy said he's been treated like a "leper of sort." Hardy continues to be someone who wears a Superman shirt in his caveman world. He was asked about getting a second chance in the NFL when Ray Rice didn't. He said he doesn't want to compare cases, adding, "but I'd say it's the story of an innocent man and a guilty man."
·
Hardy again tried to hide behind his alternate persona rather than face the mirror: Since he was a teenager, Hardy has asked many close to him to refer to him by other names that fit his alter egos. He asked high school coaches to call him "DK," which he explained was some sort of translation for "African Warrior." Of course, these days, he goes by the Kraken, a nickname based on a mythical sea creature (picture a giant squid). The bottom line here is that Hardy has long had a false sense of reality, always teetering between a mythical world that is seemingly far more pleasant for him than the reality of his situation. It's a way for Hardy to camouflage his real issues and keeps him from owning up to his mistakes. In the interview, he kept referring to himself as the $22 million man, as if he's above it all. "As a football player of my caliber, there are situations inside that situation that has nothing to do with the situation, but I should've done better." Later, Hardy added, "A franchise player should act like a $22 million dollar man, and I don't think that was going on all the time."
·
Hardy characterized his year with the Cowboys, in part, by saying he put himself in position to be attacked: From the time the Cowboys took a chance on Hardy by signing him to a one-year deal despite all the blowback, the defensive end was a problem for Jason Garrett. From insensitive tweets and comments to sideline outbursts, Hardy became a daily headache for the Cowboys coach. "Being a Dallas Cowboy," Hardy said, "is not being a regular football player. The lights are on all the time." Hardy said he realized that too late. If anyone should have realized he'd be in the spotlight, it was Hardy. Coming off of his domestic violence arrest, Hardy was going to be scrutinized at every turn. Surely, not even the Kraken is that naïve. Here's how he defended his insensitive comments during the season: "I put myself in a situation that I could be attacked. I'm an entertainer. I do interviews and try to be entertaining. ... I got caught up in a situation. ... It was a long year. I'm the one to blame." Teammates soured on Hardy throughout the season in Dallas. Hardy was asked what disappointed him the most over the last few years. "Putting a wedge between the team, and that happened. I put myself in these situations. I didn't do well enough." Hardy continues to face an uncertain future, one in which his NFL career could be over if no other team takes a chance on him the way Jerry Jones did a year ago. "It'd be life-changing," Hardy said about not playing ever again in the league. "It's hard to think about loving something and it being taken away." Hardy has no one to blame but himself.
Twitter: @DMN_George

Source:http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...elp-greg-hardy-free-agent-de-failed-miserably

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yep, he will be a cowboy again this season. Simply out of desperation on our part because we haven't solved our pass rush situation in free agency and we certainly won't save it with a rookie in the draft

That just doesn't happen in a Rookies first year in the league unless he's a once in a decade player. And there isn't one of those in this draft

The one positive in all this is at least we will get Hardy on the cheap since no one else showed any interest in him

Sad to say he will be a cowboy again

The good thing will be that all eyes won't be on him this season because they will be on whoever we take at #4. So it should take a good portion of the spotlight off of him

He will still be an idiot and say and do stupid things. It's in his DNA. But he will be less of a distraction as he was last year

Reaction score
The Musers on the radio this morning were saying that they think Garrett has drawn a line in the sand and there's no way Hardy can come back after what he did when he blew up on Bisaccia on camera.

I don't think Garrett has that kind of authority, but take it for what it's worth.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yep, he will be a cowboy again this season. Simply out of desperation on our part because we haven't solved our pass rush situation in free agency and we certainly won't save it with a rookie in the draft
It's not like he was any savior for it either. In fact it's exactly not that.

Reaction score
The Musers on the radio this morning were saying that they think Garrett has drawn a line in the sand and there's no way Hardy can come back after what he did when he blew up on Bisaccia on camera.

I don't think Garrett has that kind of authority, but take it for what it's worth.

Garrett's suggestions are about as meaningful as cowboyjoe's

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Come back, Hardy. Come back and rip Jason's fucking throat out. Then make a loose fist and fuck his vocal chords.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It's not like he was any savior for it either. In fact it's exactly not that.

I'm not saying he's the answer

He's not. Clearly
Especially with his lackluster performance last season

I'm just saying that I see us resigning him to a cheap deal because his back is against the wall now that no other team has shown interest in him.

So we know we can sign him to a dirt cheap contract that he would be willing to sign seeing as it would be his only option to stay in the league

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm just saying that I see us resigning him to a cheap deal because his back is against the wall now that no other team has shown interest in him.

So we know we can sign him to a dirt cheap contract that he would be willing to sign seeing as it would be his only option to stay in the league
If no production, there is no "dirt cheap."

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He had more sacks last year than Crawford who we just re-signed. And Hardy did it in four fewer games

Hardy was second in sacks on the team last year

Now with that said....

Was his performance shitty last year? Yes

But it was the second best on our team. Which sadly enough says a lot about the state of our pass rush!

I just see the situation as both parties being backed into a corner

The team solely because we haven't done shit in FA to solve our problem. And Hardy because no other team is interested in him.

But we are still in the drivers seat. He "needs" us to pick him up if he has any hope of staying in the league. Whereas we can survive without him but we would have a better pass rush "with" him on the team

So we are still holding all the cards. Either way it's a shitty hand no matter how you look at it

Last edited:

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I doubt Garrett cares about the Bisaccia incident. But supposedly Hardy called Garrett a MFer or a bitch in front of the team.

Which made my estimation of Hardy skyrocket.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Like it or not he is the best FA pass rusher still available. He will certainly be the most affordable now that no other team is interested in him

Iamtdg

Reaction score
I doubt Garrett cares about the Bisaccia incident. But supposedly Hardy called Garrett a MFer or a bitch in front of the team.

Which made my estimation of Hardy skyrocket.

Actually, he called Garrett a pussy. And, yes, my opinion of him went way up, as well, when I heard that.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not saying he's the answer

He's not. Clearly
Especially with his lackluster performance last season

They are not bringing back Hardy. He's 110% done here. Move on.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He had more sacks last year than Crawford who we just re-signed. And Hardy did it in four fewer games

Hardy was second in sacks on the team last year

Now with that said....

Was his performance shitty last year? Yes

But it was the second best on our team. Which sadly enough says a lot about the state of our pass rush!

I just see the situation as both parties being backed into a corner

The team solely because we haven't done shit in FA to solve our problem. And Hardy because no other team is interested in him.

But we are still in the drivers seat. He "needs" us to pick him up if he has any hope of staying in the league. Whereas we can survive without him but we would have a better pass rush "with" him on the team

So we are still holding all the cards. Either way it's a shitty hand no matter how you look at it

Crawford signed a 1yr deal for a little over a million. Hardy got paid big dollars last yr for what, 6 sacks or something? That's what Mincey got the yr before.

He isn't coming back. He's done here, as he should be. Other than the Pats game last yr he was slightly above a JAG

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I would love to hear/see that and the context that is happened in

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I was worried they might bring him back. This latest fiasco should put that to rest.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I doubt even after the last interview that it hurt his chances of us resigning him

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that we do resign him

I'm just saying that I believe that in the end we will still resign him just as a safety blanket to cover our ass because we will have screwed the pooch and not fixed our pass rush by training camp

That's when we will panic and resign him

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I doubt even after the last interview that it hurt his chances of us resigning him

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that we do resign him

I'm just saying that I believe that in the end we will still resign him just as a safety blanket to cover our ass because we will have screwed the pooch and not fixed our pass rush by training camp

That's when we will panic and resign him

I guess you can keep holding to that thought but it ain't happening. His level of play was mediocre last yr. he ain't worth the trouble, and apparently 31 other teams agree.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I agree 110% with you

I don't want him back

I'm just saying that because of the situation we have put ourself in with no solution to a pass rush coupled with how dumb our front office tends to be that in the end he will end up back on the team by the start of the season

Top Bottom