dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Wish we had this guy in his prime now. One of best leaders in team history and unbelievable thrower of the football. He'd destroy the league today if he was in it.

About a 16 min watch but great stuff.

Last edited:

daboyz

NFCE CHAMPIONS 🏆
Reaction score
Wish we had this guy in his prime now. One of best leaders in team history and unbelievable thrower of the football. He'd destroy the league today if he was in it.

About a 16 min watch but great stuff.
No you don't. He wouldn't last a season in today's NFL. Remember how Romo was abused with that horrific Oline? Both him & Dak are tougher than Aikman ever was. Aikman would be torn up being he was a pocket passer. He had what Stafford got when he went to the Rams. Great coaching & defense!

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
No you don't. He wouldn't last a season in today's NFL. Remember how Romo was abused with that horrific Oline? Both him & Dak are tougher than Aikman ever was. Aikman would be torn up being he was a pocket passer. He had what Stafford got when he went to the Rams. Great coaching & defense!
One of the dumbest posts I have ever seen, sorry.

Did you even watch the guy when he played? He routinely took hits that QB's today NEVER see. He was not protected by sissy league rules.

It'd be the complete opposite. He'd almost never be touched in todays league and DB's also can't bully WR's and TE's like they did in the 70's, 80's and most of 90's. He'd have a field day on todays NFL.

You people that only remember broken down Aikman playing for that idiot Campo in 2000 need to go re-acquaint yourselves with how the rest of his career was.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

+1

hilarious considering the beating QBs took back in that era, Steve Young, Aikman, etc would breeze through this current league where you can barely touch QBs (or receivers for that matter, you cant tell me knowing your head is not about to get taken off by guys like Ronnie Lott doesnt make playing receiver infinetly more difficult)

Last edited:

daboyz

NFCE CHAMPIONS 🏆
Reaction score

Did you even watch the guy when he played? He routinely took hits that QB's today NEVER see. He was not protected by sissy league rules.

It'd be the complete opposite. He'd almost never be touched in todays league and DB's also can't bully WR's and TE's like they did in the 70's, 80's and most of 90's. He'd have a field day on todays NFL.

You people that only remember broken down Aikman playing for that idiot Campo in 2000 need to go re-acquaint yourselves with how the rest of his career was.
Just because you don't agree, doesn't make someone else's opinion dumb. I completely disagree w/everything you had posted/stated on the topic, but I'm certainly not going to call your post "the dumbest I've ever seen" because it's your opinion. That said, moving on....

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Just because you don't agree, doesn't make someone else's opinion dumb. I completely disagree w/everything you had posted/stated on the topic, but I'm certainly not going to call your post "the dumbest I've ever seen" because it's your opinion. That said, moving on....
Like I said, you need to re-read what you said and then go back and actually watch some game clips of him.

Also, trying to downplay the difference (or apparently not even understanding) in rules today vs 20-30 years ago is just plain silly. QB's are protected today at a level never before seen. Had Romo or even Prescott played in the 70's, 80's and 90's I doubt either of them would have been around very long. Both of them are/were injury prone and that would only be multiplied had they played in a day where it was open season on QB's.

Lastly, the idea Aikman was a statue or had no mobility is as far from the truth as you can get. Again, quit watching garbage from the end of his career and go back to the days prior to his knee and back stuff. The guy was very mobile and actually ran faster 40 times than either Romor or Prescot ever did.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
His out-of-the-blue back surgery in the summer of '93 didn't help his mobility issues.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
People who credit the defense more for Aikman's success really don't know anything about football. The defense was great IN LARGE PART because we were typically playing with a LEAD. Makes a huge difference.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
His out-of-the-blue back surgery in the summer of '93 didn't help his mobility issues.
Go back and watch some of the clips of him running then.

If I can find it, there's a clip of a relatively long scramble against the NYG (20 or 30 yds) thats pretty damn impressive, although I think its the same play he pulled his hamstring on too and caused him to miss a couple games.

People also forget he ran for over 300 yds and averaged nearly 8.0 yds per carry as a rookie too.

But yeah the back surgery started slowing him down.

I still remember the look on Jimmy's face when Troy took off scrambling (might have been against Houston) in the 93 preseason.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I still remember the look on Jimmy's face when Troy took off scrambling (might have been against Houston) in the 93 preseason.
I just remember bracing myself for the (brief) Hugh Millen era. :facepalm

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I just remember bracing myself for the (brief) Hugh Millen era. :facepalm
I cant recall when we cut him (Millen) but Jason Garrett actually started the next game vs the Cards, he was replaced fairly early by Kosar and we ended up struggling, but winning.

The following week we played a really, really bad Atlanta team here in Atl (I was at the game) and Emmitt got hurt early. Kosar played horribly and we lost.

Top Bottom