Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like I said pure fucktard dude. I never gave any "credit" to the coaches for that Super Bowl, I said the HC was awful but the assistants were not. There's a difference.

So you don't give any credit to the coaches but then go and plug the assistant coaches.

This whole thing started when I commented on BB's post below. :

The talent is waaaay overrated on this team. The '94 and '95 teams won with a coach even worse than Garrett because they were legitimately talented and even Switzer couldn't fuck it up.

Simple question....do you agree or disagree with what BB posted? Because if you disagree, then you credit the coaches (even though you say you don't), which is absurd.

Good point on Switzer. Talent overcomes coaching, to some extent.

you took some umbrage for my comment which was me agreeing with BB because he was right. We may never see a team be able to overcome horrendous coaching and leadership again but that's what the 95 team did.

I'm not being a "dickbag." Just pointing out a fact and you refer me to the assistant coaches. Your whole argument is beyond dumb. Unfortunately, the point your making isn't completely inaccurate and I agree with it's premise but the 95 team was an outlier which is what I'm pointing out.

Good players can overcome coaching to some extent. That's not a controversial statement but we'd have to consider what "overcoming" means. Some players have carried Garrett's ass and kept the team competitive and Garrett was extended. He was a horrible coach before he was extended and he's been a horrible coach after he got extended but he got extended nonetheless, mainly because a rookie QB played beyond his years.

But to overcome bad coaching to win a SB has happened and it happened in 1995. That's a fact. Now go argue with someone else.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Simple question....do you agree or disagree with what BB posted? Because if you disagree, then you credit the coaches (even though you say you don't), which is absurd.
I'm BB. Unless you're referring to someone else.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
How is this for a grade?

NFL interception leaders through Week 13:
- Minkah Fitzpatrick, 5
- Marcus Peters, 5
- Devin McCourty, 5
- Joe Schobert, 4
- Logan Ryan, 4
- Kevin King, 4
- TreDavious White, 4
- Janoris Jenkins, 4
- Kevin Byard, 4
- Marcus Williams, 4
- Quenton Dunbar, 4
- Anthony Harris, 4
- Stephon Gilmore, 4
- Desmond Trufant, 4
- Dallas Cowboys (as a whole team), 4
That's because this organization only drafts DBs who play the man and can't be be bothered to turn their head when ball is in the air to play the ball.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
That's because this organization only drafts DBs who play the man and can't be be bothered to turn their head when ball is in the air to play the ball.
Ones that somehow all through college, knew how to play the ball and get picks. And did.

It's the COACHING.

Clearly we train our guys not to go after the ball, for whatever "risk averse" reason. Trying to not get PI penalties? If so they have it reversed, playing the man instead of the ball at point of reception is the best way I know to draw the PI. But it seems our idiot philosophy is more like pussy-passive, "Let 'em catch it and then make the sure tackle."

This is the entire problem in Dallas, the pussified "risk averse" approach to everything. Except of course when it comes to offense - we could obstinately ride our rented mule for 30-plus carries a game, lowering our turnover risk, keeping our defense off the field more, helping them out.... But noooo we must pass pass pass, have a bunch of 3 and outs, and let our high-paid RB just do little to nothing.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey Dodger12:

you dickbag

:funny:

David's gone full bore personal and he'll probably drop a few more descriptors before we're through. But I feel like a friend who's helping a friend get through rehab and he's just lashing out. I've got to stay strong and help him. I won't delete his prior posts but I'm hoping he does. This is what happens when we legalize drugs.........

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
The question was for dbair to see if he agreed with your post.
He will if he knows what's good for him. :user66_pic244_13113

Please note that by '94 and '95, Jimmy, Norv and Wannstedt were gone. Switzer was a substitute teacher who wanted to be loved, letting his students run wild in the classroom. Discipline was a joke. Then you had free agency and the cap chipping away their edge over other teams. It's a testament to the players and veteran leadership that they squeezed one more championship out of the twilight years.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ones that somehow all through college, knew how to play the ball and get picks. And did.

It's the COACHING.

Clearly we train our guys not to go after the ball, for whatever "risk averse" reason. Trying to not get PI penalties? If so they have it reversed, playing the man instead of the ball at point of reception is the best way I know to draw the PI. But it seems our idiot philosophy is more like pussy-passive, "Let 'em catch it and then make the sure tackle."

This is the entire problem in Dallas, the pussified "risk averse" approach to everything. Except of course when it comes to offense - we could obstinately ride our rented mule for 30-plus carries a game, lowering our turnover risk, keeping our defense off the field more, helping them out.... But noooo we must pass pass pass, have a bunch of 3 and outs, and let our high-paid RB just do little to nothing.

Not only in those aspects, but with Dak too

They have totally coached the run out of him. One of his strengths when he first started was being able to run when he had an open lane, or scramble out of trouble. They have coached that all out of him. They want him to be a pocket passer and that’s just not his strong suit. He’s much more dangerous when he can run at will. Now they only run him on designed plays which are few and far between.

I don’t know if they are risk adverse with Dak running because they fear him getting hurt, but he has proven to be durable, more so than a lot of QB’s out there.

Teams no longer have to fear that Dak will gash them for a big play with his legs.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He will if he knows what's good for him. :user66_pic244_13113

Please note that by '94 and '95, Jimmy, Norv and Wannstedt were gone. Switzer was a substitute teacher who wanted to be loved, letting his students run wild in the classroom. Discipline was a joke. Then you had free agency and the cap chipping away their edge over other teams. It's a testament to the players and veteran leadership that they squeezed one more championship out of the twilight years.

Just ask someone who was there that year

This is the type of leader this 2019 team is lacking. No fucking passion, (other than from Bennett who has only been here for a couple weeks) no one to step up and hold each other accountable.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Not only in those aspects, but with Dak too

They have totally coached the run out of him. One of his strengths when he first started was being able to run when he had an open lane, or scramble out of trouble. They have coached that all out of him. They want him to be a pocket passer and that’s just not his strong suit. He’s much more dangerous when he can run at will. Now they only run him on designed plays which are few and far between.

I don’t know if they are risk adverse with Dak running because they fear him getting hurt, but he has proven to be durable, more so than a lot of QB’s out there.

Teams no longer have to fear that Dak will gash them for a big play with his legs.
Exactly as I warned everyone after the 2016 season. Amirite?

I can understand not wanting him to get hurt. But for fuck's sake - QBs are far more likely to get hurt getting sacked!
You GOTTA let him run, it's a major part of his weaponry and a major fear of defenses. It tames the pass rush and scares DCs out of blitzing. It's the straw that stirs the whole Dak drink!

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Exactly as I warned everyone after the 2016 season. Amirite?

I can understand not wanting him to get hurt. But for fuck's sake - QBs are far more likely to get hurt getting sacked!
You GOTTA let him run, it's a major part of his weaponry and a major fear of defenses. It tames the pass rush and scares DCs out of blitzing. It's the straw that stirs the whole Dak drink!

Yes, I remember.
Funny how the most points scored against the Patriots this year(and their 2 losses) came at the hands of Watson and Jackson. Almost makes you think this is an effective strategy.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So you don't give any credit to the coaches but then go and plug the assistant coaches.

This whole thing started when I commented on BB's post below. :

you took some umbrage for my comment which was me agreeing with BB because he was right. We may never see a team be able to overcome horrendous coaching and leadership again but that's what the 95 team did.

I'm not being a "dickbag." Just pointing out a fact and you refer me to the assistant coaches. Your whole argument is beyond dumb. Unfortunately, the point your making isn't completely inaccurate and I agree with it's premise but the 95 team was an outlier which is what I'm pointing out.

Good players can overcome coaching to some extent. That's not a controversial statement but we'd have to consider what "overcoming" means. Some players have carried Garrett's ass and kept the team competitive and Garrett was extended. He was a horrible coach before he was extended and he's been a horrible coach after he got extended but he got extended nonetheless, mainly because a rookie QB played beyond his years.

But to overcome bad coaching to win a SB has happened and it happened in 1995. That's a fact. Now go argue with someone else.

This is my last response to this, because after reading your other responses maybe you are really not being a dickbag, maybe it's you just don't get the point.

Belichick's quote (which you basically said wasn't entirely true) was that good players cant overcome bad coaching. You took that to mean the head coach only, and that is not what he meant. There's more to coaching a football team than just the head coach, something I gave you credit for probably understanding, but see now that you don't.

Switzer had very little input on the assistant coaches, especially when he first took over in 1994. He inherited the staff Jimmy put together, and many of those assistants were very highly regarded. While Switzer was a complete boob on our sideline, the other guys did all the real coaching. They made the game plans, called the plays, took care of player development etc etc. The longer Switzer stayed, the more his lax way of running things doomed the team. Practices became a joke, meetings almost became optional according to some players and people that covered the team. The team also got hammered in free agency more than anyone else during that period. We were vastly more talented than everyone else, and teams picked off a ton of quality players. Switzer also split the lockerroom and much of the coaching staff with his toxic ways. But it didn't happen overnight and I think some of it was because Switzer genuinely didn't really care. He was there because he was Jones' buddy and Jones paid him well to babysit a football team.

The 94 and 95 Cowboys were supremely talented, but they did have some good assistant coaches. Also, as bad as Switzer was, I still think he was probably eons better a HC than Jason Garrett is. Switzer never should have been in the NFL but he was a tremendous college coach who didnt mismanage basic game situations on a week to week basis for years. I dont care where Garrett coaches, he'll never achieve what Switzer did at Oklahoma, or even with the Cowboys.

There is no question the 91- 95 Cowboys were more talented than our teams since then. But I think if you took Jason Garrett and this staff and had them coach those teams, they wouldnt have won anything (ie, get to conference championships and Super Bowls). They'd have had winning records and maybe won a playoff game here or there, but it wouldn't have been a dynasty team. This HC and staff suck and they coach players down, not up. We had several HoF caliber players in their prime with guys like Aikman, Emmitt, Irvin, Larry Allen, Haley etc etc) but we also had a strong cast of supporting players who excelled because they were coached up. Players like John Gesek, Kevin Gogan, Larry Brown, James Washington, Kenny Gant, Kelvin Martin, Jay Novacek etc etc etc. What we have now is a fairly talented team that is coached down on a weekly basis. Most weeks this team is beaten before the game ever kicks off and that was not the case back then.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Just ask someone who was there that year

If that's the Aikman explicative laden rant that I saw posted at CZ (the video clip you posted wont play) its probably not from 1994 or 1995. I think the guy he is yelling at is Jack Reilly, who was on the staff in 1997 (QB coach) and then again in 2000 (offensive coordinator hired by Campo to reinstall Turner/Zampese's timing based offense), but Reilly was not here from 94-96.

Top Bottom